Budget 21-30k Intel 6th gen board died on me - CPU and Motherboard upgrade suggestions please

So last Saturday my PC just went off and it looks like there is a deadshort on the Motherboard. The fans spin for a second and stops and it keeps looping. I had a 6th Gen i7 and my board is past it's warranty, had even got it fixed once during the warranty period. Since a friend of mine had some bad experience with getting his board chip level repaired, and the availability of 6th gen compatible board is very less, I was thinking of maybe going for a minor upgrade instead. The i5 12400F was looking quite sweet, even budget wise. I'm also fine with going with team red offerings as well in the similar price/budget.
Also I still have my CM Hyper 212 from 2016, will it fit the new socket types?
So guys please throw in your suggestions.

1. What is your budget?
    • 25k (can go a bit higher)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i7 6700k
    • Motherboard - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5
    • RAM - Kingston HyperXFury - 8gbx2 (2133MHz DDR4)
    • Monitor - BenQ XL2411P(144Hz) + Dell u2312hm(60Hz)
    • Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (2016)
    • PSU - Seasonic S12ii Bronze 520W but already ordered a Corsair CX 650
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5
    • RAM - Kingston HyperXFury - 8gbx2 (2133 MHz DDR4)
    • Monitor - BenQ XL2411P(144Hz) + Dell u2312hm(60Hz)
    • Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (if it would still fit the new socket type)
    • PSU - Swapping Seasonic S12ii Bronze with a Corsair CX 650
  4. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • A 3060Ti maybe in the coming months if/when the price drops
  5. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Processor and Motherboard
    • Intel i5 12400f
  6. Will you be overclocking?
    • Mostly no
  7. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • Kerala - Kottayam
  8. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  9. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Video Editing
    • Streaming
    • Image editing
    • Browsing
    • Movies
  10. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Fine with both Intel and AMD
    • My last two Asus motherboards died on me so I'm a little skeptical but still willing to give it a chance(third time's the charm?)
  11. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Apex Legends
    • Forza Horizon 5
    • Lost Ark
  12. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080

Last edited:
I bought i5 12400 + Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX for myself, cost about 19k + 10.5k few months back. That mobo's VRM can handle the i5 at its peak performance when the CPU consumes 80W, in 10mins of Cinebench, I saw VRM temp at 76C with 25C ambient. For multiple hour long gaming session, I saw VRM temp peak at 70C at 30C ambient, gaming doesn't pull full 80W, have seen 60-70W peak, but usually averages at 40-50W (depends on the game).

Right now i5 12400F is like 15k. Gigabyte B660M DS3H is 10k with most sellers with AX model at 11.5k (if you get that mobo, update the BIOS to get full CPU performance).

Check if CM provides LGA 1700 bracket for your cooler. I'm still using stock cooler & during the 10min Cinebench run, it easily hit 09C, but while gaming, usually the average CPU temp is 70-72C. I'll check its performance in summer & take a call on cooler for myself.

Might be against your plan for upgrade

TPS Tech is offering rapcked or open box board suitable for your current i7 processor

See if it helps
Thanks a ton for sharing this!
This actually looks like a very good option especially considering that the repacked board comes with a 3 year warranty. I still had considered getting the board fixed, but a friend of mine kept on having issues with his board after doing out of warranty repairs, that kept me skeptical. Really wanted to get a few more years off this processor, this way I can get a bit more time.

Edit:
Noticed that there is one more offering on the site. Shall I go for this one instead? The extra expansion slots might come in handy.

Last edited:
Bit of an update on the situation.

I went for the repackaged AsRock B150 motherboard from TPS tech and got it last weekend, but I could not get it to post or get any display out of it. The fans would spin for like five seconds and it stops, then it spins again and keeps on spinning without any display(My old board used spin for half a second and stop and it used to loop). I had installed the new PSU(Corsair CX 650) so I tried switching back to the old one to see if it's an issue with the PSU but got the exact same results. I tried with and without graphic card, with each stick of ram but nothing changed so I assumed the motherboard I got was DOA and returned it, and ordered the H110 one instead.

Today I got the H110 motherboard and unfortunately it is showing the exact same issue. I see the chance of getting two DOA motherboards as very slim, so I am suspecting my old motherboard died killing the processor and/or RAM with it. Since it would be strange for both the sticks to have issue, I am assuming the issue is with the processor. I've had issues with my old motherboard in the past and had got it repaired under warranty(Rashi) four years ago.

Since I do not have any spares with me I guess I'll try taking it to a local shop on Monday and try to confirm what the issue is actually with.

Back