CPU/Mobo Intel finds Bug in Sandy Bridge 6-Series chipsets, halts shipments

This might not be such a bad thing for me though. I need to get a gpu upgrade direly ,but not so much the cpu. So I will do a two phase upgrade. GPU's and display next month and the rest in phase 2. That way, I might be able to squeeze in a bit more moolah for each phase and get better stuff than originally planned.

Gannu said:
Crap, just when I thought I could invest in the Sandy Bridge later this month. Any idea if Indian retailers would do what Newegg just did? :(
Slim chance. You know how bad the after sales service is in general in India. I don't think they would go through the headache. If it had been Intel handling this, it might be different, but its the motherboards that are affected and each manufacturer has a different distributor. Even the manufacturers would know by now that they can easily ignore their customers in India and nothing will ever come out of it.

Lord Nemesis said:
Slim chance. You know how bad the after sales service is in general in India. I don't think they would go through the headache. If it had been Intel handling this, it might be different, but its the motherboards that are affected and each manufacturer has a different distributor. Even the manufacturers would know by now that they can easily ignore their customers in India and nothing will ever come out of it.
I would rather not take a risk. I shall wait for the revised versions of the boards.

Sigh another wait begins. I'm selling the board, cpu, RAM and gpu nevertheless. There are no games to be played on the PC even otherwise.

^^ Actually looking at the bottom line hit of $1bn, if a company like AMD had such a flaw it would be thrown under the rug, especially if its a statistical flaw that may impact 5-15% of the products in a 3 year time frame.

Microsoft had a much worse issue of Rrod, and it did no such public re-call. And yeah Lord Nemesis put it across accurately, if its a Intel product, no issues during an RMA (Btw I haven't yet come across such an instance :p ) but mobo's have a different story altogether...

Gannu said:
I would rather not take a risk. I shall wait for the revised versions of the boards.

Sigh another wait begins. I'm selling the board, cpu, RAM and gpu nevertheless. There are no games to be played on the PC even otherwise.
How will you do Crysis 2 then...!

;)

Aces170 said:
^^ Actually looking at the bottom line hit of $1bn, if a company like AMD had such a flaw it would be thrown under the rug, especially if its a statistical flaw that may impact 5-15% of the products in a 3 year time frame.

Microsoft had a much worse issue of Rrod, and it did no such public re-call. And yeah Lord Nemesis put it across accurately, if its a Intel product, no issues during an RMA (Btw I haven't yet come across such an instance :p ) but mobo's have a different story altogether...
But u realise this folly of INTEL has changed the market landscape a bit. Now, by the time the revised boards hit people, i.e. APRIL which is also rumoured to be(maybe May) AMD Bulldozer's launch timescape, we might see INTEL and AMD finally go head-to-head after a long long time.

Aces170 said:

Well if this had happend to AMD, the amount wouldnt have been $1 Billion, it would have been much lower as they sell roughly a quarter of what intel does, and the ASP's are far lower. Maybe $200 million max. And even in their financial condition they would have definitely done the same thing as Intel. If not for doing the right thing, just so that they wont have to pay a Billion dollars later when they get sued. (Ask Nvidia how much the bad bump issue finally cost them)

I have been talking to Gigabyte over the recent announcement from Intel and here is their official statement.

GIGABYTE Technology India’s statement on the 6 Series chipset SATA port bug:

“GIGABYTE has always aimed to ‘Upgrade Your Life’ with the most innovative designs and impeccable quality and services. Our success can be attributed to our motherboards’ high-utility features, combined with our competitive pricing and distinguished support services, maximizing your (the customer’s) value for money. In line with this vision, we assure you of our fullest support in case you come across any GIGABYTE motherboard affected with the 6 Series SATA port bug. We assure you of a swap or replacement within the prescribed time frame of the revised motherboard availability, at your nearest GIGABYTE Service Center. As you must be aware, the chipset vendor has corrected the SATA port problem, and has already begun manufacturing an updated version of the support chip which they expect to deliver in late February 2011. Our advice to potential 6 Series motherboard buyers will be to keep their buying plans on hold till we announce the newer version of motherboards.â€

Now this is effectively going to affect the sale of the new Sandy bridge CPUs too. Any chance that the price of the CPU will come down significantly due to overstock? If yes, then one can get the CPU now (i5 2500k :clap::clap:) @ a cheaper rate and go for the revised 6-series boards once they are back in stock

Edit: It's pretty good course of action from Intel - coming out with the issue openly and accepting responsibility rather than getting into denial like some famous companies do..

Well if this had happend to AMD, the amount wouldnt have been $1 Billion, it would have been much lower as they sell roughly a quarter of what intel does, and the ASP's are far lower. Maybe $200 million max. And even in their financial condition they would have definitely done the same thing as Intel. If not for doing the right thing, just so that they wont have to pay a Billion dollars later when they get sued. (Ask Nvidia how much the bad bump issue finally cost them)

You are right, it would be far lower. But I am not sure on the legal status, as AT says the failure rate will start showing up after 2-3 years time frame, and that's yet at a 5-15% of units. Nvidia and MS had a much faster failure rate and for MS it was hovering at around 80% for RROD

April is when the revised boards would start hitting the shelves. Damn that's a long wait. :(

Aces170 said:
You are right, it would be far lower. But I am not sure on the legal status, as AT says the failure rate will start showing up after 2-3 years time frame, and that's yet at a 5-15% of units. Nvidia and MS had a much faster failure rate and for MS it was hovering at around 80% for RROD
Sahil, then again MS announced a 3-year warranty for all the Arcade X360s (as opposed to the standard 1-year default warranty) after the widespread RROD incidents. The issue was such that it wasn't definite relating to the overheating of the units.

^^ AFAIK MS never gave 3 year standard warranty. In the first place, they accepted the problem only 2 years after the original release and by that time countless people had faced the problem and had to already go though multiple purchases of console. It was at a point that it looked really bad for MS from a legal perspective that they accepted the issue and offered extended warranty to cover just the RROD. The extended warranty does not cover anything other than RROD.

Back