CPU/Mobo Intel fined $1.45 Billion by EU in Antitrust Case

vishalrao said:
OMG LOL thats a mighty PR assault by AMD against Intel :D

I hope it doesn't backfire on AMD... meaning... Intel pay the fine, are forced to reduce prices... which means their products become even more value-for-money (performance-per-dollar) and more buyers move from AMD to Intel!

Oh the nightmare scenario...

Why would they be forced to reduce prices? If anything, they would be stopped from reducing prices and giving drastic rebates to their OEM's. This would mean AMD won't have to reduce prices in order to compete with Intel. If anything, the impact will be on the end users, not Intel or AMD.

^^ They cannot be forced to anything.. atleast not in the face of the current lawsuit.

The end result is it will help us, and not vice versa as you think, as now AMD can claim a pie in the $1.45bn suit, which will help them financially to compete with Intel longer.

Competition in the end is always good for consumers.

1.45 billion$ man that's huge fine!but intel deserved it for their wrong ways and bad deeds!!why can't these companies play by the rules why do they have to meddle in each other's affairs!!

Aces170 said:
^^ They cannot be forced to anything.. atleast not in the face of the current lawsuit.

The end result is it will help us, and not vice versa as you think, as now AMD can claim a pie in the $1.45bn suit, which will help them financially to compete with Intel longer.

Competition in the end is always good for consumers.

At least from an article that I read sometime back (can't find the link now), the thing of concern is whether EU will place restrictions on the rebates given by Intel to the OEM's. A 10% fine is nothing to a company like Intel. But a thing like restriction on rebates would just help increase the prices of the Intel based products (particularly from their OEM's) and AMD wouldn't have any need to decrease its prices either in the absence of competition. Rest assured, EU's rulings are for the upheaveal of the independent business houses and ensuring equal opportunity to all of them. They are always not in the best interests of the consumers.

At least from an article that I read sometime back (can't find the link now), the thing of concern is whether EU will place restrictions on the rebates given by Intel to the OEM's. A 10% fine is nothing to a company like Intel. But a thing like restriction on rebates would just help increase the prices of the Intel based products (particularly from their OEM's) and AMD wouldn't have any need to decrease its prices either in the absence of competition.

Giving rebates to "certain" OEM's was the whole contention, it was discriminatory pricing and the covenant was ofcourse, deal with only Intel.

No one is stopping Intel on reducing the prices on 1000 quantities crate, which is their global pricing. But ofcourse Intel is not gonna do that unless from stiff competition from AMD.

whoops, by "forced" to reduce prices i didn't mean forced by the EU lawsuit... i meant they could be forced to reduce due to bad PR, better competition from AMD etc but then if they do reduce prices AMD is in trouble... in the end im assuming/hopeful we the consumers win since that what the EU judgement is all about...

Back