Budget 90k+ Intel i9-11900 based Music production and Photo editing PC build

ememm

Patron
Patron
Hi TE,
I'm getting some components from US at a discount. The components were chosen based on availability/discount. Please help me choose rest of the components to complete the build.
The PC will be used primarily for casual music production and photo editing. There is no plan for gaming except maybe some basic VR games in the future, so not keen on adding additional GPU at this point.
I'll be re-using my office monitor, keyboard, mouse for now. Where I need help is to choose the appropriate PSU, Cabinet, cooler(if required) etc, and to have general feedback on the already chosen components for the build purpose mentioned.
Thanks in advance.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 100K (For the whole build, already have components worth 80k)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Which hardware do you already have (component name - component brand and model)
    • Processor - i9 11900
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX
    • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V series 3200Mhz 32Gb (4x8GB)
    • SSD - Intel Optane H20 512 Gb
    • Monitor - HP Elite display E232
    • Keyboard , mouse etc
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • PSU - Whats approprate for the intended uses?
    • Cabinet - Don't need anything fancy. Something which is most convenient and preferably small footprint
    • Cooler, fan etc - (if required)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final, except maybe a 4k monitor in the future
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Music production
    • Photo editing
    • Casual VR gaming (in future)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Probably VR games (if I get hold of a Quest 2)
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080 (for now, maybe 4k in the future)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10/11 64 bit

Even if you don't plan to upgrade in the future I would recommend you to get a 650W PSU at least which can support a budget GPU if you plan to get one. Deepcool has good modular option.

You can't go with smaller case as you have an ATX motherboard. Hence I would recommend to get a decent case (Antec NX600 or Cooler Master MB511).

You need a good CPU cooler for the i9-11900. I would recommend going for NZXT Kraken X63 as it is a no comprise AIO cooler or the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 if you are on a budget.

Even if you don't plan to upgrade in the future I would recommend you to get a 650W PSU at least which can support a budget GPU if you plan to get one. Deepcool has good modular option.
Based on my budget, I'm planning to go with this : GIGABYTE P650B SMPS - 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU With Active PFC
Please let me know your thoughts
You can't go with smaller case as you have an ATX motherboard. Hence I would recommend to get a decent case (Antec NX600 or Cooler Master MB511).
For the Front panel Type-C port, I've chosen this: DEEPCOOL CL500 (ATX) Mid Tower Cabinet With Tempered Glass Side Panel (Black). I dont really care about RGB or tempered glass side panel, so it would be good if someone can suggest me a cheaper one with front panel type C port.
You need a good CPU cooler for the i9-11900. I would recommend going for NZXT Kraken X63 as it is a no comprise AIO cooler or the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 if you are on a budget.
Will this suffice for this processor ? - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L ARGB V2 All In One 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler (MLW-D24M-A18PA-R2). I might add couple of case fans later

This combination is fitting within my budget. Please do let me know if there are any shortcomings to the selected items.

Thanks in advance.

Based on my budget, I'm planning to go with this : GIGABYTE P650B SMPS - 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU With Active PFC

For the Front panel Type-C port, I've chosen this: DEEPCOOL CL500 (ATX) Mid Tower Cabinet With Tempered Glass Side Panel (Black). I dont really care about RGB or tempered glass side panel, so it would be good if someone can suggest me a cheaper one with front panel type C port.

Will this suffice for this processor ? - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L ARGB V2 All In One 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler (MLW-D24M-A18PA-R2). I might add couple of case fans later

This combination is fitting within my budget. Please do let me know if there are any shortcomings to the selected items.

Thanks in advance.
Psu: Check Antec B650 Bronze 650 Watt 80 Plus and corsair cv650 as these two are better established brands that make PSUs.

Cabinet: Go with cases that have RGB fan Hub. if you are spending 8k, better check lian li lancool 2 mesh with type c port and corsair 4000D. Nzxt h510 should be cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Psu: Check Antec B650 Bronze 650 Watt 80 Plus and corsair cv650 as these two are better established brands that make PSUs.

Cabinet: Go with cases that have RGB fan Hub. if you are spending 8k, better check lian li lancool 2 mesh with type c port and corsair 4000D. Nzxt h510 should be cheaper as well.
GIGABYTE P650B SMPS is also a good option...have used it personally for more than 3+ years....only downside is 3yrs warranty.....but for the price a solid thing and has been used in a server for 24x7 and is still going though my cousin is using it, but still 24x7. so i would say a good psu.

PSU - Antec NeoEco Gold 650W - 6.4k (check vedant computers) Or 750W for 7.5k if you see yourself getting something in RTX 3070 territory
Cabinet - Lian Li Lancool II Mesh with Type C - 8.5k
CPU Cooler - Deepcool Assassin III - 7.3k (10% off with SBI CC in amazon, 7k in vedant)
Fan - Antec P12 - 550 (for rear exhaust)

Cheaper cooler - Deepcool AK620 - 5.1k in amazon

Avoid Gigabyte non Aorus PSUs to be on the safe side:

CPU Cooler - Deepcool Assassin III - 7.3k (10% off with SBI CC in amazon, 7k in vedant)
Cheaper cooler - Deepcool AK620 - 5.1k in amazon
Thanks for the recommendations. Now I'm confused regarding the cooler.
I'm getting the ML240L AIO cooler for 6k. Are these air coolers recommended by you in any way better than that?
I don't care about the RGB or the cleaner look with the AIO coolers, but I would like the cooler to be quiet, reliable and of course, with sufficient cooling power.

Related question I have is : Will the pump and fan noise of an AIO combine to be louder than a double-fan air cooler?

I'm getting the ML240L AIO cooler for 6k. Are these air coolers recommended by you in any way better than that?
I don't care about the RGB or the cleaner look with the AIO coolers, but I would like the cooler to be quiet, reliable and of course, with sufficient cooling power.

Related question I have is : Will the pump and fan noise of an AIO combine to be louder than a double-fan air cooler?
Specs say that it supports up to 200W TDP max and I doubt if this will be enough to cool 11900k at load. If you are okay with air cooling, check Noctua D15. This monster is one of the very few that can tame the 11900k. Downside is that it occupies too much of space and you have to check if it will block RAM slots and if the cabinet of your choice is deep enough to host D15.

Why not Ryzen? any reason? I'm using a 3700x build and it works perfectly
I was able to source the i9+mb for some nice discount, that was the only reason. In fact that was the only reason I started the build, even though the plan was always out there somewhere : )

This monster is one of the very few that can tame the 11900k
It's 11900, not 11900k which I'm having - so I think it is less of a beast ( 65W TDP vs 125W), no overclocking.

I had looked at Noctua D15 as it is recommended at so many places, but it is slightly costlier and I'm a little concerned about the weight of the cooling tower pulling on the processor while transporting.
Also, I am not sure which would perform quieter. (pump + fan in AIO vs 2 fans in air cooler)

Btw, D15 spec says max 183 NSPR as its TDP equivalent , but I am not sure how that compares to 200W of ML240L.

I will pick air coolers over AIO any day, call me paranoid but I won't put a liquid inside my desktop when I build one. My friend had Corsair H115 or something which recently failed, got replacement but luckily no leaks were there. Some AIO users aren't lucky, check reddit:

So it can leak, but the chances are very less. I won't take that chance, rest you decide for yourself.

It's 11900, not 11900k which I'm having - so I think it is less of a beast ( 65W TDP vs 125W), no overclocking.

I had looked at Noctua D15 as it is recommended at so many places, but it is slightly costlier and I'm a little concerned about the weight of the cooling tower pulling on the processor while transporting.
Also, I am not sure which would perform quieter. (pump + fan in AIO vs 2 fans in air cooler)

Btw, D15 spec says max 183 NSPR as its TDP equivalent , but I am not sure how that compares to 200W of ML240L.
For a 65W TDP, even a 4k rupee (legendary) Hyper 212 Evo or black edition can keep the CPU cool (I am using it on classic Hyper 212 with 5800x that easily hits 90 degrees and the cpu stays under 40 degrees on normal load). You can check Noctua U12S as well if you want better air cooling. The ML240L should be fine as well. With D15, you do not have to think about max TDP. It is the absolute best air cooler right now that can handle all mainstream CPUs.

Thanks in advance.
Don't go for gigabyte. Cooler Master, Antec and Corsair would be better options.

Yoooooo, I have the same case and its great for airflow.

The cooler should work, but remember that it won't keep your PC cool. It will do it's job not letting your temps go above 80-85C, but I would recommend that you go for a 360mm radiator as when the CPU boosts to higher clock speeds or is at higher usage for longer time your PC will stay hot affecting your rendering times. I agree with desiibond for the DH15 or Assassin III (no chances of failure over time) as you won't have to think about TDP and not tension on quietness as well.

For a 65W TDP, even a 4k rupee (legendary) Hyper 212 Evo or black edition can keep the CPU cool (I am using it on classic Hyper 212 with 5800x that easily hits 90 degrees and the cpu stays under 40 degrees on normal load). You can check Noctua U12S as well if you want better air cooling. The ML240L should be fine as well. With D15, you do not have to think about max TDP. It is the absolute best air cooler right now that can handle all mainstream CPUs.
With good Z560, even B560, you can just unlock the power limits & the CPU will run at its PL2, the initial max power draw which lasts for 30s then settles for 65W in non K CPUs. The i9 11900 has a 224W PL2, not necessary it draws that much at full load but it is definitely 150W+, from what I remember. For gaming surely the power draw won't be that high.

Back