CPU/Mobo Intel i9 9900K vs Ryzen 5600X

desiibond

Skilled
I believe you have to reduce it further. We get AMD Ryzen 5 5600X for just 3k more and it is a slightly superior and more efficient CPU for gaming and for workloads that can make full use of 6 cores (your core i9 may have slight edge for workloads that make use of 8 cores). Moreover, with new 5600X, buyer gets full 3 years warranty. Coming to motherboard, have to spend atleast 10k for Z390 board (Z370 is almost extinct), but one can get a great B450 board for 6k. Overall, we get better and brand new cpu+mobo for lower price.

PS: This is a really bad time to own an Intel CPU.

I believe you have to reduce it further. We get AMD Ryzen 5 5600X for just 3k more and it is a slightly superior and more efficient CPU for gaming and for workloads that can make full use of 6 cores (your core i9 may have slight edge for workloads that make use of 8 cores). Moreover, with new 5600X, buyer gets full 3 years warranty. Coming to motherboard, have to spend atleast 10k for Z390 board (Z370 is almost extinct), but one can get a great B450 board for 6k. Overall, we get better and brand new cpu+mobo for lower price.

This is one side of the coin. You posted thread on 19th March. Just 10 days, see how it goes and then you can tweak the price accordingly.

sorry to say but you are grossly ill informed about computer hardware , a well tweaked intel system 9900k@5g is out performing a 5600x atleast if not a 5800x any day in gaming and productivity.

besides an old intel 14nm node is a vastly mature platform compared to an immature ryzen 3 platform with whea errors and broken usb ports. please check on amd forums about troubles with WHEA error at stock settings and varity of usb issues .

sorry to say but you are grossly ill informed about computer hardware , a well tweaked intel system 9900k@5g is out performing a 5600x atleast if not a 5800x any day in gaming and productivity.

besides an old intel 14nm node is a vastly mature platform compared to an immature ryzen 3 platform with whea errors and broken usb ports. please check on amd forums about troubles with WHEA error at stock settings and varity of usb issues .
hmm. okay. I am really trying to hold back, trying not to laugh.

Anyways, wish you good luck to get a good price for this sale.

where are you getting this info from? comparing i9 to ryzen 5 haha

I'm really amazed how people are thinking and believing a 6 core CPU (which is lower than current gen consoles) in 2021 is sufficient for gaming and productivity tasks and can be compared with a flagship intel product.
Bruh 2017 is calling and asking it's i7-8700K back. A 6 core CPU was prime back in 2017 and you could have been enjoying it since then until now 3+ years. Buying a 6 core CPU in 2021 for inflated prices is ridiculously stupid. It's going to get hammered hard and become a bottleneck for AAA games within 2 years.
It's all the fault of stupid benchmarks and bar graphs. They show it high but don't really show the CPU usage which is what matters for future-proofing. Gamers really take pride in showing of their FPS bar bigger than someone else even if it is for a HOT minute and CPU is 80%+. Anyways enough rant.

Good luck for the sale to the OP, decent price for a chip that will last 3 years easy.

Just out of curiosity, how many games, as of today, use more than 4 cores?
Your question is phrased wrong I think, it should be "need" not "use".
As for the answer ALL AAA games developed in the past 3-4 years easily USE more than 8 cores and provide an excellent, smooth usage on the CPU at about 30-60% (50% means you're using all 8 cores, more than that means you're into hyperthreading).

As for need, certainly no game needs more than 4 cores to run but try warzone or cyberpunk with 4 cores at 1080p and you'll know what I mean if you've played it on a better CPU. There are certainly many other games and upcoming games which will require more than 4 cores. I can even link a video showing CP2077 using more than 60% on 10900K (means all 10 cores being utilized).

Now you may argue that CP2077 is just a garbage game, unoptimized... Yeah, what can anyone do about it? Not play it? Future games may very well be unoptimized due to the plenty of hardware resources being available now, desktop CPUs going upto 16 cores and 32 cores soon by the end of the year or early next year with AM5. Developers are not putting enough time into optimizing games due to this very reason. Before 2016 all we had was max 4 cores for a decade and hence no games were having CPU related bottlenecks.

Anyone buying a CPU today IMO would look forward to keep at at least 3 years I assume unless you're just a hopper every generation then buying mid-tier products maybe makes sense. But would I call a 6 core CPU which could be had in 2017 a mid-tier product today? Nope. it's just an entry level gaming CPU. This maybe going off-topic now.

Last edited:
I'm really amazed how people are thinking and believing a 6 core CPU (which is lower than current gen consoles) in 2021 is sufficient for gaming and productivity tasks and can be compared with a flagship intel product.
Bruh 2017 is calling and asking it's i7-8700K back. A 6 core CPU was prime back in 2017 and you could have been enjoying it since then until now 3+ years. Buying a 6 core CPU in 2021 for inflated prices is ridiculously stupid. It's going to get hammered hard and become a bottleneck for AAA games within 2 years.
It's all the fault of stupid benchmarks and bar graphs. They show it high but don't really show the CPU usage which is what matters for future-proofing. Gamers really take pride in showing of their FPS bar bigger than someone else even if it is for a HOT minute and CPU is 80%+. Anyways enough rant.

Good luck for the sale to the OP, decent price for a chip that will last 3 years easy.

You first statement is phrased wrong. I think, it should be "was" a flagship Intel product. There are a lot of better performing products in the market right now.

As for comparison of the two products in terms of gaming, both processors provide very similar performance. Only a handful of games even "need" a higher core count. If I remember correctly, quad core cpus were launched nearly 10 years ago. It took this much time to reach even the need for 4 cpus (only for few games). Moreover, going by the latest steam hardware survey (windows), ~55% people still own 4 cores or below and ~30% own 6 cores. This makes 85% of gamers having 6 cores or less. Lastly, for developers to up the requirement, it would have to make business sense for them. Developers want more people to play their games so it would be unwise for them to increase the requirement suddenly. I am not denying that it will not happen but certainly not within next 2-3 years.

Full disclosure: I have never owned an AMD CPU. I currently own 9900K, owned 4790K before that, and first gen i7 even before that.

Please do some groundwork to know more about these chips and we will discuss. You sound like me when I was n00b, would post random stuff just to get into an argument and get put in right place.

You do have a very valid point. Inflated prices of AMD Zen 3 chips. The 5600x should cost 5k less and it very well would fall to sub 25k prices. The very reason why AMD has priced these higher is because these chips are matching and beating Intel's chips in same price range. Thanks to Zen 3 superior gaming performance, they are in ridiculously high demand.

In current scenario (direct fight between 5600X and 9900K), we have games that support 8 core CPUs and yet, the 6-core 5600X matches and even beats (in some cases) the Core i9 9900K while constantly taking less power and staying cooler. We cannot just say that more cores are better. After all, Zen is to Core what Core was to Athlon 64 X2. AMD has negated Intel's higher core count with faster IPC and single core performance (which was exactly what made Intel's Core architecture the king for a decade). To counter Intel's CPU at a price point, AMD can easily use smaller chiplets and lower cores to match and out perform while drawing less power and dissipating less heat. Man, I love these CPU wars.

Gaming till end of 2022:

This is time when a 6 core 5600x will continue to match or even beat (when we see things like DirectStorage, RTX IO, more optimized games and software for Zen 3 architecture) 9900k in specific games and workloads. As Intel is moving to new architecture in 2022, all developers will start targeting that architecture from next year. There is nothing left in Intel's 14nm+++++++++++++ and core architecture to squeeze out and Rocket Lake is the best example. Developers would not even care about a 3-4 year old 9900k. Heck, they do not care about this today. What developers are optimizing right now is getting more performance out of Zen 3 architecture and getting more performance out of RTX, out of SSDs.

Now, the trump card for 5600X is its efficiency and per core performance. This is a 65W chip while 9900K is a 95W chip. While the 5600x is matching the i9 9900 in gaming performance, it does that while generating less heat and while taking less power. This makes the 5600x better in performance per rupee/dollar. It offers better returns over a period of 2 years. If you do not believe, go through countless gaming uploads where the performance of 5600x is compared to that of 9900k. We are seeing 3200MHz and 3600MHz DDR4 RAMs being norm these days and AMD can get more out higher speed RAMs than Intel, thanks to Infinity fabric and thanks to Zen 3 being newer architecture. Not to forget that AMD Zen loves high speed RAM and if RAM speed can match infinity fabric speed, you will gain very good performance.

You do not even have to think of overclocking 5600X like hell to get more performance. I am not really a fan of overclocking midrange CPUs for little more fps when you get see mind blowing fps on higher end CPUs/cards, making your midrange CPU look puny.

From end of 2022:

Intel is moving to completely new architecture. AMD is moving to AM5 next year. Both sides will leverage DDR5 RAM and all current DDR4 systems will be considered old and offer low value in used PC market. So, when one puts these two on sale, which one will get better money back? 5600x will still be under warranty, 9900 by then would be a 4 year old veteran without any warranty. Intel buyers will most probably look for 10th gen and 11th gen chips for low price as they will be under warranty by then and are better than the 9900K. The 5600x, on the other hand, is based on Zen 3 and this will not be looked at as 'very old', as, even at the end of 2022 can leverage majority of existing technologies.

My point being:

We are going to see huge landscape shift in 2022 so better get the configuration that gives desired performance, better on wallet and offers better resale value when you are selling it in 2022 or 2023. If the OP wants to sell the 9900k, 25k is not the right price. he should be able to show that the difference between price to buy 5600x rig and one based on his 9900k is so much that it offers better returns. Like I said, this is the bad time to be in Intel's camp. I really hope Intel pulls a rabbit out of the bag in 2022 and make CPU market more competitive. Until then, a Ryzen will offer better long term performance and resale value than Intel's core chips.

Last edited:
just look at cyberpunk 5600x 109 9900k 130 also look at 1% lows in most game 9900k is always faster that 5600x no question. (both processors are tuned to the max in the video)

also 9900k can overclock memory much faster than ryzen 3 platform right upto 4266mhz due to a robust memory controller ryzen 3 tops out at around 3800 to 4000 if you're lucky with silicon lottery
also this , when i talk about immature platform this is what i mean

5600x whea errors

https://community.amd.com/t5/proces...rashing-restarting-whea-logger-id/td-p/427389

and usb issues

look amd ryzen 3 is an excellent architecture on paper but AMD once again fumbled on platform maturity like ryzen 3000 and 2000 series (similar issues with memory compatibility and whea errors bsod and what not) took them 1 full year to fix with agesa updates.

intel 14nm node is mature (although power hungry) skylake-comet lake (10 years) so less issues and it just works out of the box most of the time.

Last edited:
just look at cyberpunk 5600x 109 9900k 130 also look at 1% lows in most game 9900k is always faster that 5600x no question. (both processors are tuned to the max in the video)

also 9900k can overclock memory much faster than ryzen 3 platform right upto 4266mhz due to a robust memory controller ryzen 3 tops out at around 3800 to 4000 if you're lucky with silicon lottery
also this , when i talk about immature platform this is what i mean

5600x whea errors

and usb issues

AMD has already confirmed that they are pushing update in April. This is specific to some boards. I am using 5800x+b450 and I have not faced any such issue. This is not a blocker for anyone, fix is coming up. I would rather be on powerful new B550/X570/Xen 3 platform with insignificant bugs that are getting fixed than going on a dying platform that Intel itself wants to get out of.

On one hand, you are talking about a minor bug in B550/X570 series but you failed to acknowledge that your 'mature' processor died within 18 months and you received RMA'ed replacement. So much for 'vastly mature platform'.

Also, very good job comparing low 1% of 9900k with 5600x in one game instead of comparing average FPS for each game, over couple of games. Like I said, 5600X matches 9900K in gaming and it does it with better efficiency, with two less cores and to make it even better, I get full warranty instead of getting a RMA'ed CPU that is already fading from market and has little bit of warranty left.

Take gaming off the table and for normal workload, 5600X is even better.

Core i9 9900K 'was' a very good CPU. It is a decent CPU now. It is not something that one can pay 25k for a RMA'ed one, forget about buying a new one from store shelves. Think about it. 9900K was like a flagship CPU and it is now as good as current generation midrange CPUs.

When I asked about Intel at one of the famous stores in Bangalore, the response was 'Intel is gone case right now, AMD is far better'. In 10+ years, I never heard this from a retailer.

It is not an exaggeration. Intel is having a really hard time. AMD has superior chips in laptop, desktop and server market now. Apple has moved to ARM chips and M1 is showing superb performance. More OEMs are going to try ARM designs in laptop designs. AMD is ruling console market and they are also working with Samsung on next generation Exynos (ARM CPU + AMD GPU).

Zen 3 is 'the architecture' to beat right now and every single Zen 3 CPU is a monster in performance. Till Intel comes with a proper response that does not include a 14++++++++++++++++++++++++++ fab process and powerhungry chips, there is no comparison. Even with higher core count, Core chips cannot take the fight to Zen 3 chips in same price range.

Peace!

Last edited:
AMD has already confirmed that they are pushing update in April. This is specific to some boards. I am using 5800x+b450 and I have not faced any such issue. This is not a blocker for anyone, fix is coming up. I would rather be on powerful new B550/X570/Xen 3 platform with insignificant bugs that are getting fixed than going on a dying platform that Intel itself wants to get out of.

On one hand, you are talking about a minor bug in B550/X570 series but you failed to acknowledge that your 'mature' processor died within 18 months and you received RMA'ed replacement. So much for 'vastly mature platform'.

Also, very good job comparing low 1% of 9900k with 5600x in one game instead of comparing average FPS for each game, over couple of games. Like I said, 5600X matches 9900K in gaming and it does it with better efficiency, with two less cores and to make it even better, I get full warranty instead of getting a RMA'ed CPU that is already fading from market and has little bit of warranty left.

Core i9 9900K 'was' a very good CPU. It is a decent CPU now. It is not something that one can pay 25k for a RMA'ed one, forget about buying a new one from store shelves.

Zen 3 is 'the architecture' to beat right now and every single Zen 3 CPU is a monster in performance. Till Intel comes with a proper response that does not include a 14++++++++++++++++++++++++++ fab process and powerhungry chips, there is no comparison. Even with higher core count, Core chips cannot take the fight to Zen 3 chips in same price range.

Peace!
my processor died because i was running 1,42 volts for 5.1ghz and it bit me in the ass a couple of years down the line. it was my mistake i was irresponsible with the overclock.

p.s i am not against amd or anything buy what ever you feel is value for money to you.

your b450 is working fine because its a express 3 only platform switch to a pciexpress 4 platform and boom usb ports drop out whe errors ,freezes ,usb dac crackling etc. yes amd will eventually get thier act to gether but it will take significant time as usual just ask ryzen 3000 users.

intel 14nm node is mature (although power hungry) skylake-comet lake (10 years) so less issues and it just works out of the box most of the time.
By your analogy, I should stick to my old Pentium 3 rig. It was one of the most stable platform after all. Or I should stick to my mac mini 2 with 3rd gen Core i5. The mini is so mature that it never crashes.

But no, things does not work that way. A newer faster efficient product with minor bugs and full warranty always trumps older near-EOL though stable product lineup. This is why Intel had to lower prices for their CPUs. This is why AMD is having a mega run in sales since the launch of Zen 3 chips. Buyers dont care about minor bugs.
my processor died because i was running 1,42 volts for 5.1ghz and it bit me in the ass a couple of years down the line. it was my mistake i was irresponsible with the overclock.

p.s i am not against amd or anything buy what ever you feel is value for money to you.

your b450 is working fine because its a express 3 only platform switch to a pciexpress 4 platform and boom usb ports drop out whe errors ,freezes ,usb dac crackling etc. yes amd will eventually get thier act to gether but it will take significant time as usual just ask ryzen 3000 users.
Does not matter. You were pitching this Intel is better at overclocking and so much stable the whole time and yet, you have a dead CPU because of overclocking. That is the risk of overclocking. This is why I prefer to go for brand new full warranty CPU that does not need overclocking than get a old gen half warranty left CPU and overclock to get more out of it. What happens if it is kept overclocked and dies after another 1.5 years. By then, there wont be any warranty left and so the buyer will have no option other than to again pay for another CPU. With AMD, buyer will get 3 year full warranty on new 5600X, no need to overclock to get more and so, that path seems to be less risky.

Coming to B550 issue: Do note that these issues affect USB connected devices only, that too for fraction of second to few seconds. This is not something that I would rely on to switch to Intel or to Zen 2 chips. Moreover, I use a bluetooth k/b and mouse, built in audio processing and so even if I switch B550, I am not affected. There are issues that are very random and many reported that there are workarounds that are easy to apply till AMD pushes an update. We are almost into April and fix is coming up. This makes going for your 50% warranty left CPU far less sense, right?

B450 is the reason why I said that a new 5600x is cheaper and better build than your 9900K that costs 25k. B450 is as good as B550 (except the PCIe4). In your terms, it is stable as hell, AM4 has been there for a while. I can get a B450 board for 6k. Come April, B550 will not have that one tiny bug, there will be price cuts on B550 and on 5600x. Then 9900K for 25k is even worse thing to consider compared to today.

Last edited:
By your analogy, I should stick to my old Pentium 3 rig. It was one of the most stable platform after all. Or I should stick to my mac mini 2 with 3rd gen Core i5. The mini is so mature that it never crashes.

But no, things does not work that way. A newer faster efficient product with minor bugs and full warranty always trumps older near-EOL though stable product lineup. This is why Intel had to lower prices for their CPUs. This is why AMD is having a mega run in sales since the launch of Zen 3 chips. Buyers dont care about minor bugs.
what i meant was skylake to cometlake is essetially the same architecture with upgragded core counts and small ipc bumps. so intel has plenty of time to release stable microcode updates and bios updates for coffelake by now . where as amd is stll figuring out how to get the usb ports to work when you install a pci express 4 gpu ;)

Does not matter. You were pitching this Intel is better at overclocking and so much stable the whole time and yet, you have a dead CPU because of overclocking. That is the risk of overclocking. This is why I prefer to go for brand new full warranty CPU that does not need overclocking than get a old gen half warranty left CPU and overclock to get more out of it.

Coming to B550 issue: There are issues that are very random and many reported that there are workaround that are easy to apply till AMD pushes an update. Do note that these issues affect USB connected devices only, that too for fraction of seconds. This is not something that I would rely on to switch to Intel or to Zen 2 chips. Moreover, I use a bluetooth k/b and mouse, built in sound card and so even if I switch B500, I am not affected.

B450 is the reason why I said that a new 5600x is cheaper and better build than your 9900K that costs 25k. B450 is as good as B550 (except the PCIe4). In your terms, it is stable as hell, AM4 has been there for a while. I can get a B450 board for 6k. Come April, B550 will not have that one tiny bug, there will be price cuts on B550 and on 5600x. Then 9900K for 25k is even worse thing to consider compared to today.

desiibond if you are happy with your purchase more power to you man .​

i have just give some well established facts why people should still consider intel despite ryzen 3 hype. as an indian user i m not a fanboy of any western company.

what i meant was skylake to cometlake is essetially the same architecture with upgragded core counts and small ipc bumps. so intel has plenty of time to release stable microcode updates and bios updates for coffelake by now . where as amd is stll figuring out how to get the usb ports to work when you install a pci express 4 gpu ;)

desiibond if you are happy with your purchase more power to you man .​

i have just give some well established facts why people should still consider intel despite ryzen 3 hype. as an indian user i m not a fanboy of any western company.
First, it is not ryzen 3. It is Zen 3. Zen is the architecture, ryzen is product line. What you see is not hype. It is real, so real that, Intel, for the first time, tried to match AMD by reducing pricing and offering more cores for less price. I do not remember Intel pricing their CPUs to provide more cores than competing AMD counter part. I am referring to new Rocket Lake 11tg gen core cpus.

Intel is pushed to a corner and Intel is not a company that gets intimidated by hype. This zen 3 performance is real, I am seeing it first hand. We all know that their current headaches are due to their issued with 10nm fab. Once they get that right and once they move to new Architecture, we will see more aggressive pricing.

Till then......

First, it is not ryzen 3. It is Zen 3. Zen is the architecture, ryzen is product line. What you see is not hype. It is real, so real that, Intel, for the first time, tried to match AMD by reducing pricing and offering more cores for less price. I do not remember Intel pricing their CPUs to provide more cores than competing AMD counter part. I am referring to new Rocket Lake 11tg gen core cpus.

Intel is pushed to a corner and Intel is not a company that gets intimidated by hype. This zen 3 performance is real, I am seeing it first hand. We all know that their current headaches are due to their issued with 10nm fab. Once they get that right and once they move to new Architecture, we will see more aggressive pricing.

Till then......
look man ill glady buy amd when they make an effort to make their products work within 6 month of their initial launch date without significant issues ( whea error free, full compliance with pci express 4 and working usb ports, compatibility with usb vr headsets etc.)

until then... intel is at the moment a good stable option and surprisingly cheaper even though it is slightly slower (although a 9900k/10700k is slightly faster than 5600x).
your 5800x is not giving you trouble because you are also using an outdated but a stable B450 chipset (pci express 3) shift to b550 and x570 and you'll see. x570 is also 1.1 years old by now and still not mature enough for zen 3.

like i said more power to you if 5800x system is working without headaches.
p.s i was contemplating on buying a 5900x with x570 chipset untill i saw alll the issues, i just bought 10850k(32k) system for less headaches.(also by 4400 mhz 32gb b-die works out of the box with intel cant say the same for zen 3 which struggles to go past 4000)

Last edited:
look man ill glady buy amd when they make an effort to make their products work within 6 month of their initial launch date without significant issues ( whea error free, full compliance with pci express 4 and working usb ports, compatibility with usb vr headsets etc.)

until then... intel is at the moment a good stable option and surprisingly cheaper even though it is slightly slower (although a 9900k/10700k is slightly faster than 5600x).
your 5800x is not giving you trouble because you are also using an outdated but a stable B450 chipset (pci express 3) shift to b550 and x570 and you'll see. x570 is also 1.1 years old by now and still not mature enough for zen 3.

like i said more power to you if 5800x system is working without headaches.
p.s i was contemplating on buying a 5900x with x570 chipset untill i saw alll the issues, i just bought 10850k(32k) system for less headaches.(also by 4400 mhz 32gb b-die works out of the box with intel cant say the same for zen 3 which struggles to go past 4000)
I am amazed that you are still relying on MHz and GHz. I do understand though. In early Intel Core days, AMD would boast about MHz because their CPUs could not match Intel's in pure real world performance. Now, the things are other way. AMD is not even pushing for 5GHz because their chips are easily beating Intel chips that have more cores and more MHz.

We are in a world where IPS (instructions per second) matter more than MHz and GHz and this is where Core 'was' so good at and Ryzen is better at now. Now that tables have turned, Intel camp started saying 'look, I can hit 5GHz, AMD cannot even hit 4.5GHz). The reality is that AMD at 4.5GHz beats Intel chip at 5GHz. So, why even care about higher clock? As I said many times, IPS efficiency trumps paper frequency count.

Look at this for example.

1616912915660.png

It is hard to believe that even the 5600X is faster than Core i9-10900K in single threaded performance. It is not faster than Core i9 in full blown test, that is for 5800X and 5950X to fight with. It is what it is right now. AMD has better single thread performance at lower clock speed compared to Intel and this equates to lower top level GHz and less number of cores to beat Intel. Why else would Intel even think of selling a Core i9 chip under 500$.

If you remember, it was exactly like this when Intel came out with Core microarchitecture back in 2007??? Intel was beating AMD fair and square with lower frequency and then it went to an extent where Intel could beat AMD with 30% less cores and lower clock speed. Thats what efficiency does. It makes clock speed comparison a waste of time.

I purchased B450 not because it is older and stable but I got it because a Full ATX ASUS TUF Gaming B450 Plus costed 9.5k and similar B550 board would cost about 5k more. As I saved 5k, I added another 5k and upped my CPU to 5800x from 5600x.

Attachments

• 1616913075316.png
    1616913075316.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Back