CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

Hades.

Skilled
Source: Intel Ivy Bridge Processors to Feature Configurable TDP - Softpedia

At this year's Computex fair, Intel has presented to the press some of the technologies that will make their way into the company's upcoming Ivy Bridge architecture and one of the most important news disclosed was that the chip will feature a configurable TDP.

What this means is that the chip will be able to increase the TDP by ramping up its frequency, depending on the load placed on the cores by the tasks run, until a certain critical temperature is reached.

All this will happen automatically and it will be controlled by the CPU's Turbo Boost technology.

Intel hasn't commented on just how much the TDP can be increased, but you can imagine that, for such a technology to be effective, the gap between the minimum and maximum TDP has to be pretty massive (i.e. going from 15W to 35W).

The new configurable TDP technology will also support a special docked mode, which will allow the processor to exceed the system's TDP consistently when installed in a special dock with extra cooling.

As noted earlier, Ivy Bridge is going to be the first chip in Intel's arsenal to get configurable a TDP, but the technology isn't expected to reach maturity until Haswell arrives in 2013.

In addition to the new configurable TDP design, Intel also mentioned that the Ivy Bridge platform will be the first to integrate support for Thunderbolt at the chipset level.

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are a die 22nm shrink of the Sandy Bridge core and feature an improved GPU with DirectX 11 support and more EUs, better AVX performance, an integrated PCI Express 3.0 controller as well as native USB 3.0 support thanks to the Panther Point chipsets.

These first Ivy Bridge processors are expected to debut in March/April 2012 and will rapidly take the place of the current Sandy Bridge CPUs. (via AnandTech)

A bit too early don't you think.

I mean right now Sandy Bridge E discussion thread makes far more sense, especially when it comes 3-4 months before Ivy Bridge itself.

A bit too early don't you think.

nope... More and more information about ivybridge platform is leaking these days so why not post all the information in a single thread and let the TE members know what ivybridge processors have to bring over the table... :)

I don't think it's too early to start discussion. Given the fact that Intel has already shown off working prototype and introduced TriGate Transistors that will be going in the Ivy Bridge. I know there is still lot of time for Ivy Bridge to hit market, but the information is already coming in, in bits n parts. So it's good idea to initiate the discussions and share our findings.

Specially folks like me, who have decided to pass-on SNB in favor of waiting for Ivy Bridge. So thanks Hades for starting this thread. :)

Well, if Ivy Bridge had more than 4 cores it would have been interesting.

Sadly it doesn't.

Another year, another new 300$ quad core and 190$ cheapest quad by INTEL.

This doesn't seem to end, it started in 2008 with Q6600's price drop.

^Why do you need more cores when 4 Core Intel can beat a 6 Core AMD. There aren't enough games that even utilizes a quad to full extent and many other applications that doesnt utilize it fully.

As long as there are architectural improvements and newer efficient manufacturing process I dont think there is any reason to complain. When the 1090T cant beat the i5 2400 why should Intel reduce their pricing :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

^Why do you need more cores when 4 Core Intel can beat a 6 Core AMD

well, I wouldn't want to spend 300$ on a 4 core over and over again since 2008 right?

and besides, it would rather be a good idea to have a more core processor in light of Xbox720(or whatever it may be) and PS4 coming soon.

comp@ddict said:
well, I wouldn't want to spend 300$ on a 4 core over and over again since 2008 right?

and besides, it would rather be a good idea to have a more core processor in light of Xbox720(or whatever it may be) and PS4 coming soon.
Then don't spend $300 on it and rather get 6 core Phenom 1055T for $160;) Why quote just one line and reply to that and ignore the rest.

Anyway staying on to the context I would just like to see Intel more room for the GPU in the die and at lease double the SB HD 3000 performance :)

comp@ddict said:
Well, if Ivy Bridge had more than 4 cores it would have been interesting.

Sadly it doesn't.

Another year, another new 300$ quad core and 190$ cheapest quad by INTEL.

This doesn't seem to end, it started in 2008 with Q6600's price drop.
Why would Intel try hard on bringing out the fastest processor they can manufacture? The competition from AMD is anything but worrying. They just need to crush whatever top of the line processor AMD is offering.
I believe Intel has the capability to bring a 6 core processor at $300-400. But they're smart enough to keep that away and bring it out whenever AMD has something worthwhile to offer.

Why would Intel try hard on bringing out the fastest processor they can manufacture? The competition from AMD is anything but worrying.

THat's why I am pissed.

At INTEL's brilliance at shining and AMD's at failing.

the comparision of SNB with phenom is stupid honestly. phenom is an old architecture SNB is newer architecture with great improvements. it would be like comparing phenom 965 to a 6600.
And for the record amd graphics are demolishing anything intel is offering now.
wait till BD to screw AMD:)

I would wait for Bulldozer Enhanced (next year), which according yo slides would have graphic cores in it too.

Would love to see it demolish INTEL(cuz that has hope, I am losing my hopes on Bulldozer right now)

iGo said:
I don't think it's too early to start discussion. Given the fact that Intel has already shown off working prototype and introduced TriGate Transistors that will be going in the Ivy Bridge. I know there is still lot of time for Ivy Bridge to hit market, but the information is already coming in, in bits n parts. So it's good idea to initiate the discussions and share our findings.

Specially folks like me, who have decided to pass-on SNB in favor of waiting for Ivy Bridge. So thanks Hades for starting this thread. :)
Appreciate this, and this is my line of thought too. Still with LGA775 and it is quite interesting to follow the discussion of the new processors. Also I think it does not make sense to compare the $:core ratio between Intel and AMD anymore. :) The former is way way to ahead in performance and architectural variation for each "tick-tock" cycle. You pay the highest and get the best available. That is Intel's simple rule.

Intel Dual-Core Ivy Bridge CPUs Will Arrive One Month After Quad-Core Parts

Source: Intel Dual-Core Ivy Bridge CPUs Will Arrive One Month After Quad-Core Parts - Softpedia

In the second quarter of next year, Intel will release its first CPUs built using the Tri-Gate 22nm fabrication process, code named Ivy Bridge, but allegedly not all parts will arrive at the same time since dual-core chips will launch about a month after their quad-core counterparts.

This information was uncovered by the SweClockers website, who got its hands on a series of internal Intel documents that explain the development schedule of the company's 22nm processors.

According to the development roadmap, Intel plans to release two series of engineering sample chips, which are going to be followed by a batch of qualification samples.

The latter won't arrive until the second week of November 2011, and the first Ivy Bridge processors are expected to enter mass production in the final week of December 2011.

However, the initial production run will include only quad-core CPUs, as dual-core parts will only enter mass production in the first or second week of February.

According to Intel's documents, this means that dual-core SKUs won't reach the retail market until April or May of 2012.

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are a die 22nm shrink of the Sandy Bridge chips and feature the same architecture with a few minor tweaks and an improved graphics core.

This will receive DirectX 11 support as well as 30% more EUs than the HD 3000 GPU used in current second generation Core processors.

Other CPU features include better AVX performance, an integrated PCI Express 3.0 controller as well as native USB 3.0 support thanks to the Panther Point chipsets, which are also expected to enter mass production in the final week of December 2011.

Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge processors use the same LGA 1155 socket as their current counterparts, so most Sandy Bridge motherboards should be compatible with these chips after a simple BIOS update.

Intel Confirms Ivy Bridge CPUs Will Feature Enhanced Quick Video Capabilities

Source: Intel Confirms Ivy Bridge CPUs Will Feature Enhanced Quick Video Capabilities - Softpedia

Intel has just confirmed that its next-generation Ivy Bridge processors will feature an enhanced version of the Quick Sync technology introduced with its current second generation Core chips, which, among other features, will enable on-the-fly encoding for HD video conferencing.

Intel will talk about these new capabilities in a technical session entitled “Media innovations in the Intel microarchitecture codenamed Ivy Bridge,” that will be held during the 2011 Fall IDF.

“In this session, you will hear about the media innovations (feature, performance and quality) in the new Intel Microarchitecture Codename Ivy Bridge. These innovations continue to improve the user experience on client PC platforms and enable exciting new applications.

“You will also hear from Intel and Microsoft experts on the details on how to build end to end high definition video conferencing solutions that will be brought to main stream by the Intel Quick Sync Video technology in Ivy Bridge,” reads the session's descriptions as posted on the Intel IDF website.

Ivy Bridge is the code name used for the 22nm die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge chips and features basically the same architecture, but with a few minor tweaks and improvements.

This includes a new on-die GPU that will come with full DirectX 11 support as well as with 30% more EUs than Sandy Bridge, in order to offer improved performance.

In addition, the processor cores have also received some minor tweaks as their AVX performance was slightly increased and Intel has updated the integrated PCI Express controller to the 3.0 standard.

The move will benefit multi-GPU systems as well as users who use high-performance PCI Express SSDs and other such devices that require high data bandwidth.

The rest of the changes brought with Ivy Bridge come from the new 7-series Panther Point chipsets, which pack native USB 3.0 support.

Intel Says Ivy Bridge GPU Is Up to 60% Faster than Sandy Bridge Graphics

Source : Intel Says Ivy Bridge GPU Is Up to 60% Faster than Sandy Bridge Graphics - Softpedia

Even though Ivy Bridge isn't supposed to arrive until the second quarter of 2012, Intel has already started to share some info with the press regarding the performance of these CPUs, as the company expects their integrated graphics to be up to 60% faster then the Sandy Bridge GPU.

More information about Ivy Bridge will be provided during the annual Intel Developer Forum, which is scheduled to take place in San Francisco between September 13 and September 15, 2011.

However, before that happens, Intel has shared some details regarding the performance of Ivy Bridge with the AnandTech publication, which states that Intel's upcoming CPUs will include an updated graphics unit.

Just like the processors based on the current SNB architecture, Ivy Bridge chips will be available in two graphics configurations, the highest performing GPU being called the GT2.

According to Intel, this will include 33% more EUs (processors/execution units/cores) tha the HD 3000 graphics core which will result in a 60% increase in 3DMark Vantage scores (Performance Preset) and a 30% increase in 3DMark '06 scores.

On the other hand, the slower GT1 part, that will be used in most Ivy Bridge desktop processors, will bring a performance increase of 10 to 20%.

Together with the improved graphics speed, the Ivy Bridge integrated GPUs will also gain support for new graphics and compute standards, including DirectX 11, OpenCL 1.1 and OpenGL 3.1.

In addition to improving the performance of the built-in graphics cores, Intel has also brought a series of changes to its QuickSync video transcoding engine.

The Santa Clara chip giant is claiming that all these modifications lead to a twofold performance increase of the video transcoding process as well as to better image quality. These improvements only apply to the Ivy Bridge CPUs coming with GT2 graphics.

Ivy Bridge is expected to make its debut in March or April of 2012, and will be Intel's first processors to be built using the 22nm Tri-Gate fabrication process.

====================================================================================================================================

Intel's Ivy Bridge Configurable TDP Gets Detailed

Source : http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-s-Ivy-Bridge-Configurable-TDP-Gets-Detailed-221224.shtml

Back