Graphic Cards Intel planning to enter discrete graphics card market in 2008

garav

Disciple
Sources from multiple graphics card vendors have confirmed that Intel has approached them to lay down plans to enter the discrete graphics card market for desktop PCs. The new products from Intel would be positioned as direct competitors to AMD's ATI Radeon and Nvidia's GeForce series of cards.

At this stage all plans are still rather vague, according to the sources, with Intel scheduled to deliver a more complete roadmap and specifications in the fourth quarter of this year. However, according to most of the sources, Intel will aim for the mid-range market in the initial stages with pricing targeted around US$300. In the current market, graphics cards at the high-end are priced at around US$800.

In order to be competitive, the cards will need to match the features of products from AMD and Nvidia such as support for DirectX 10 and equivalent memory densities, the sources pointed out. Whether or not Intel will implement a technology to support multi-card configurations similar to SLI and Crossfire is unknown at this stage but it is a possibility as most of Intel's mid-range and high-end chipsets support multiple PCI Express slots already.

Reception to the news is generally positive with one graphics card vendor stating that it will almost certainly support the Intel line with new products, while most of the others are all waiting for more information before they make a decision. Many of the card makers feel that the entrance of Intel into the market will increase competition and will spur AMD and Nvidia to be more aggressive in terms of technology and costs.

Sources at Intel where typically coy about discussing the plans, simply stating that the discrete graphics card market is one of the areas the company is considering.

According to Jon Peddie Research, Intel held over a 50% share of the integrated graphics market (IGP) in the first quarter of 2007. However, sources at the card vendors noted that this lead will not guarantee Intel success in the discrete market as the market channel for motherboards and graphics cards are very different. Sources at AMD also pointed out that success in the discrete market is heavily dependent on drivers. Whether or not Intel is successful will depend largely on how well it can win the cooperation of game developers, the sources said.

If current plans go smoothly, the launch of the new products is expected to be around early in the second quarter of 2008, according to the graphics card vendors.

The source: Computex 2007: Intel planning to enter discrete graphics card market in 2008

Things seem to be heating up in the graphics department. Hope this spells more competition at the higher end of the market in time and not just the mid range cards.

Well, if Intel does it, they will do it well. How good is yet to be seen, but I think they will do better than SiS and S3 and that Taiwanese company starting with X.

yeah......it sure will......i was hopin intel would buy off nvidia......lol.......then the competition would be nice......AMD+ATi vs intel+nVidia ........:D

noooo
i would prefer intel to make its own cards even AMD to make its own...
so we have more choice.... AMD or Intel or Nvidia or ATI....:bleh:

Intel's OpenGL performance in general was lacking (though quality is decent). If they can somehow improve in this department, then they will take the market.

But....Intel graphics cards on AMD PCs? :p

KingKrool said:
Well, if Intel does it, they will do it well. How good is yet to be seen, but I think they will do better than SiS and S3 and that Taiwanese company starting with X.

Sis = Xabre ;)

And I think the X-named company you speak about is XGI, well I think they are not an active player any longer. Even SiS is not active in the discrete graphics market.

Only S3 is serious to make it big in the discrete market. There was once an interview where some guy from S3 said that the market is begging for the third player to enter the field in a big way, and S3 wanted to be that third player.

So...maybe we can expect some great things from S3 in the future ;)

Good news.. More the competition, the merrier for us..

Though i have a suspicion, Intel would be targeting the lower rung market as of now.. :)

Its good that INTEL will target towards the mid range section of the market...

So it seems my upgrade will have to wait until them coz we ll no wat happened to processor pricing s when intel came with C2D :(

They have the budget but as a tech site said AMD made a real good move and gobbled ATI....The same way that Intel is about 6 months ahead in technology on the processor front, AMD is ahead by over a year thanks to ATI.
The only real question is that will AMD be able to keep the tempo up after being bashed on the display front by nVidia and slammed on the processor front by Intel.....

With its resources spread so thin only time will tell......

Back