Intermediate Upgrade : Ivy Bridge later on if its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi, i want a system to mainly to play games @ 1920*1080. I have ordered Intel Core i3-2100 from Ebay. In need of decent H61/67 mobo. Also NZXT Gamma and Seasonic 620W are fixed components.

1. Q: What is your budget?

a. 10k + 2k only for cabinet

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

a. CPU - NA

b. Motherboard - NA

c. GPU - XFX 8800GT 512MB

d. RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*2GB DDR3 1600MHz

e. Monitor - Dell ST2220L

f. SMPS - Corsair VX450

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

a. Monitor - Dell ST2220L

b. RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*2GB DDR3 1600MHz.

if required XFX 8800GT 512 MB till AMD 7xxx series or nVidia 6xx series

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand

and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

a. CPU - Intel Core i3-2100 - have ordered from Ebay

b. Motherboard - any compatible with size of 9.6"x9.6" within 4.5-5K - liked Intel DH67BL but out of budget.

c. GPU - Waiting for AMD 7xxx series

d. Cabinet : NZXT Gamma

e. SMPS : Seasonic 620W @5K around

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. NO

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/ City/ TE Dealer)

a. Mumbai

b. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

a. Yes - if warranty left is 2+ years

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a. Gaming, Browsing, Desktop Processing, Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike?

No

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing

Call of Duty series, NFS series, Assasins Creed, BF3, Crysis 2

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1920*1080

2. Desktop - 1920*1080

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a. Windows 7 64 bit

If your main motive is to play games at FULL HD, then Sandy bridge is enough like 2500k, 2600k =) Since, fps didn't get affected with most games b/w Ivy and Sandy.

But if you're equally serious in Design and rendering apps like Maya, Photoshop, Autocad, then Ivy bridge is worth the wait in my opinion :)

Hi,

I dunn want to spend more than 7K on a processor.

What i think is not to buy much high-end parts (i5-2500K @13K is high-end for me) and after 3 years they can not serve us instead better buying mid-range components, use them till core and upgrade to new one after 3 years. So i was thinking to buy Ivy Bridge i3-3xxx when it will be out in 12 months or so.

How is G860/850 in gaming ? In reviews i have find it close to i3-2100.

Regards.

i say get the 2500k for 11.5k

and get a z68 based mobo - 14k

the board will be IVB compatible and you can sell your 2500k when u change over

btw IVB is expected to launch in mid-end april 2012 :)

^^ If you want to over-clock Sire, you'll need to pay a premium from now on in Intel's case as they have shifted the multiplier from the CPU to the motherboard and if the CPU is not certified to OC and you meddle with those multipliers you are bound to hit BSOD's and instabilities, so here is a configuration I'll suggest for you --

Intel Core i5 2500k ~ 12500/-

ASUS P8Z68-M PRO ~ 10500/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x 1 module ~ 1650/-

AMD HD 6950 1GB ~ 13500/- OR nVidia GTX 560 Ti ~ 13700/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

Seasonic S12D 620W ~ 4400/-

Hope this helps, Sire.

How much performance gain is there with overclocking ?
I mean is Premium paid worth ?

Also is my PSU needs to be upgraded if i m not OC-ing ? Its Corsair VX450.

Ohk, I see that.
Main question remains, should i now buy a G860/850 with a mobo which allows me to use Ivy Bridge and after a year when IB stabilizes picking up a i3-3xxx ?
Or should i now only go with i3-2100 and suitable mobo ?

^ Go for a Core i3 2100 + Z68 motherboard now then [if budget is to much of a constraint], but I still think that most current Core i5 / i7 systems will work fine even 2--3 years down the line [for basic home requirements + medium resolution gaming], so still say if possible get a decent Sandy-Bridge system and you'll be set.

Oh yes, your SMPS needs a definite step-up to a good Seasonic / Corsair 600W power output minimum to pull the load you'll put on it with the graphics card + over-clocking the system [if you'll do so in future OR current RIG build it is all upto you].

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Hi,
Budget constraint is like consider two scenarios

Scene 1:
i3-2100 ~ 6K ~ gaming at 1920*1080 @ 45+ FPS for 2.5 years

Scene 2:
i5-2500K ~ 12.5K ~ gaming at 1920*1080 @ 45+ FPS for 4 years

In this case i will go for 6K proccy. (assuming both are able to give FPS more than 45)
Same is with GPU too.

^^ Look overtime the threading capability will reach a saturation point, and the software will reach the maturity it needs so that it can leverage the usage of as many cores as possible for a given task.

So I think you should forgo overclocking in favor for a standard Core i5 2400 + Z68 chipset, upgrade to Ivy-Bridge if the performance difference is substantial to warrant one leap. Hope this helps, cheers!!

I think IVY Bridge would be worth the wait.

I'm guessing much lower power consumption, much faster Intel Quick Sync, and by then HD7900 prices should drop or stabilize and be readily available too(I'm talking April)

I mean to ask while I am waiting for Ivy Bridge (Core i3-3xxx - waiting period of a year) can i expect Intel Pentium G860/850 to serve me in gaming @ 1920*1080 ?

Either stick to SNB or wait for IVB. There will be certain features introduced in IVB which SNB mobos will not be able to use, read it somewhere on the WWW.

Also, if you are going to only game, the current i3 and the newer i3 will not show much of a difference. Its only in optimized apps that you can expect a difference.

vyral_143 said:
I mean to ask while I am waiting for Ivy Bridge (Core i3-3xxx - waiting period of a year) can i expect Intel Pentium G860/850 to serve me in gaming @ 1920*1080 ?

That depends on the games. Waiting period is 5 months not a year. I think you would be able to hold out with a DUal COre

vivek.krishnan said:
Either stick to SNB or wait for IVB. There will be certain features introduced in IVB which SNB mobos will not be able to use, read it somewhere on the WWW.

Also, if you are going to only game, the current i3 and the newer i3 will not show much of a difference. Its only in optimized apps that you can expect a difference.

I did not know there is such thing. I thought Z68 mobo will support IVB. So I would buy an Z68 mobo and cheap SNB for time being and later on upgrade to IVB by just changing Proccy.

Yeah, gaming is main use and then comes HD movies, Desktop Processing and browsing, etc.
Now I m leaning towards i3-2xxx and not waiting for IVB.
Also how to make my RAMs to work on 1600MHz on a mobo for Core i3-2xxx ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
That depends on the games. Waiting period is 5 months not a year. I think you would be able to hold out with a DUal COre

I guess waiting period of IVB Core i3-3xxx will be more than 5 months as first only i5 and i7 are releasing.

PS: Even in IVB I am going to buy Core i3 only.

vyral_143 said:
I did not know there is such thing. I thought Z68 mobo will support IVB. So I would buy an Z68 mobo and cheap SNB for time being and later on upgrade to IVB by just changing Proccy.

Yeah, gaming is main use and then comes HD movies, Desktop Processing and browsing, etc.

Now I m leaning towards i3-2xxx and not waiting for IVB.

Also how to make my RAMs to work on 1600MHz on a mobo for Core i3-2xxx ?

They will support the processor, but I heard that Intel is planning to introduce new features with the 3xxx series, aka IVB. These features will not be supported by the current crop of SNB mobos.

As for the link, I will google for it. Will post it later on.

^^I do consider your advice. :)

If I am finalizing with Core i3 SNB, how to make my RAMs to work on 1600MHz ? As long as i know it supports only DDR3-1333MHz

vyral_143 said:
^^I do consider your advice. :)

If I am finalizing with Core i3 SNB, how to make my RAMs to work on 1600MHz ? As long as i know it supports only DDR3-1333MHz

TBH, IDK. As I have not owned a Intel SNB machine till date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back