Intermittent fasting/low carb infian diet

Arjun

Skilled
Anyone into intermittent fasting? I have been trying to lose weight gained during the pandemic. I am starting on 16/8 diet from today. Also will be cutting carbs as much as possible, will be difficult as Indian food has a lot of carbs and I am the only non vegetarian in my family so will have to manage on vegetarian food.
Any suggestions?

I am doing it for the last several months and I have found it to be the best thing I have ever done. I have even decided to do it for lifetime. It is like a sleep and bath thing for me now. I gained 8 kg during pandemic because of sudden loss of gym and over eating. Managed to cut it back by fasting and slight cuts in my diet. Eggs, salad, boiled veggies and sprouts are the only way to cut back carbs. Out of these, only eggs are tasty, highly nutritional dense, easy to eat/snack with zero carbs so must include eggs. Even I am the only eggetarian in my family. I have a electric cooker which I use to boil eggs and I keep it in my room. I don't cook eggs in the kitchen. Another way to convince your family especially wife for eggs is to join gym if you are not doing it already and showing them the progress videos. It surprisingly works. The moment they see you benching/squatting a few plates or doing some clean pull ups, they won't be able to say no to eggs at home.
This is what I do.
Lunch at 1:30 pm - 1 chapati with sabji/daal, 2 eggs, salad, about 500 gram curd.
Dinner at 8 pm- 1 chapati or rice with homemade sabji daal. big bowl of sprouts.
Fruits in snacks some days (between 2-8pm) and no snacks other days. Total fast duration - 17 hours.
Future plans - One complete fast a day per week, 19 hours fast daily, adding boiled vegetables to the diet.
Without eggs, this routine becomes very monotonous and a little difficult to follow. You can try some Sause or chatni recopies from YouTube and add that to sprouts and boiled veggies.

I think everyone should do intermittent fasting because it has so many benefits like.
Mood elevation.
Focus increase.
Strength increase, but only if you workout.
Testosterone and human growth hormone increase. This is the real deal unlike fake supplements which do nothing.
Quality of life for women. If your entire family does it then women can sleep more and don't have to wake up early just to make breakfast.
Real body detoxification unlike fake YouTube drinks which again does nothing.
Fall in Blood sugar and hence decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.
Massive reduction in insulin resistance.
Healing of fatty liver.
Going back to basics when humans ate less and worked more instead of snacking every 30 minutes.
Less need to eat food even for strength gain. On intermittent fasting and a restricted diet our body becomes surprisingly efficient. Just 20-30 gram of protein is enough for a 60-70 kg normal guy even to gain strength. If keto is added then this efficiency boosts to insane levels and I have seen people packing 90 plus kg of lean tissue while eating just 50 gram of protein a day and doing fine.
Relief in the condition of Arthritis.
Lastly, Intermittent fasting is the only practical way to prevent weight gain with age and produce an anti aging effect. Keto is even better but it is not practical for an Indian vegetarian.

And here's me, lost 10 kg and went underwent during pandemic, no stress was involved, just lack of physical activity. Still struggling to get back to ideal weight.
Anyone else here suffering from IBS (doctor diagnosed IBS)?
Can intermittent fasting help in weight gain too?

And here's me, lost 10 kg and went underwent during pandemic, no stress was involved, just lack of physical activity. Still struggling to get back to ideal weight.
Can intermittent fasting help in weight gain too?
So you lost weight because of IBS ? Unfortunately intermittent fasting is not effective in weight gain. It is very effective in increasing and preserving strength but if someone has lost weight due to any problem or trying to gain weight just because his natural set point feels not right to him then fasting is not the way to go. The good news is, our bodies are designed to gain and hold weight so it is very easy to gain weight. Just eat more rice and chapati and you will swell in no time. Gym or a solid home workout with some basic equipment if a must for healthy weight gain otherwise most of the gained weight will be fat which is not healthy unless the person is super skinny.

Just eat more rice and chapati and you will swell in no time. Gym or a solid home workout with some basic equipment if a must for healthy weight gain otherwise most of the gained weight will be fat
I've always had problem gaining weight. Lack of hunger, other stomach issues have always been my issues. If I try to push down more chapatis or fats (nuts included) , I get bloating and other issues. But still no weight gain.
Currently taking some liver tonic along with pre-biotics prescribed by doctor, that is helping me with hunger and also helping gain weight but at a slow rate.

Haven't tracked fiber. Just eat salad, veggies and sprouts and there is no need to worry about that. I never faced any acidity. Had constipation may be once or twice in last one year because I didn't ate chapati, salad, veggies (ate daal, eggs) and even the sprouts were very small that day so fiber intake got really low. If even one of these is normal then I don't face any constipation. I don't count calories either. I just try to eat less and fill my stomach with salad, sprouts, eggs, curd and vegetables and I am good to go. I do keep a track of my strength and weight though. It is a solid indicator if I am eating properly and enough.

Pardon the unsolicited advice, IBS usually doesn't cause large weight loss, please go to a good gastroenterologist and get checked for IBD.

I have tried intermittent fasting, both 2 meals a day and OMAD. Its effective. IMO, as long as one is sticking to the 18/6, 20/4 window everydaycarbs / fat doesn't really matter. Key is to ensure one gets all nutrients needed in that window, body takes care of energy management.
Longest I have fasted is 5 days. After first 48 hours the raging hunger just disappeared.

Last edited:
Moong daal and kala chana. You can also add checkpea to the mix. I don't eat boiled only beans because it is difficult to digest, it does not have much fiber and sprouts increases the nutritional value of food.

Also will be cutting carbs as much as possible
Maybe try a different framing. Instead of cutting carbs, think about increasing protein intake. Cutting carbs while making no other changes may leave you miserable and hungry. Protein creates higher satiety, so you will automatically cut down the other two macros.

Back