Inverter Ups help!

intelfanboy

Disciple
Hi ,

I am planning to get an inverter ups about now,

I need a few questions to be answered. First, i am planning to go with the APC BI1000I. It's capacity is quoted to be 1000va. The sales person suggested that i go with 150AH tubular batteries.

What does the va and and the AH mean in terms of ups capacity and battery capacity?

I am planning to run the following components during a power outage:

5 x Tubelights.

4 x Cieling fans.

1 x Cfl lamp.

2 x plugpoints (for charging an Lg optimus one and a Nokia phone)

1 x CRT Tv set (21")

Although all the components may not be used at the same time, a bare minimum of 2 X Tube lights and fans will be used.

The blackout will last for ABOUT 2hours a day. But may last for a longer time so i decided that i will be needing about atleast 5 hours backup(trust me , in Tamil Nadu power cuts last a day long)

Also the sales guy quoted me a price of 22,500 + wiring charges

The APC BI10000I was quoted a price of Rs.6200.

The battery he recommended was SF sonic 150 AH.Is it trust worthy?Maintenance free??

Also he said Amarraja 180AH is troublesome and suggested the Sf over it.

Please comment on it.

Will the above setup suffice my criteria??

Please do answer my questions.

Any recommendation is welcome.

Please contribute and help me make a wise decision.

Thank you !

It might be off topic, but from where I come (Hyderabad) the APC service is horrendous once the warranty period is done. They never come on time and they take the unit away without even giving a replacement unit and do not return it for months.

And even when they do, they keep adding to what has already been mentioned. I have three out of warranty APC units with new batteries lying in an unusable condition.

Pathetic!

The other options available are Numeric. Microtek, Luminous. Don't know which is reliable?

Any word on capacity ? va and AH needed?

@soulweaver what problems you face with the apc units?

The other options available are Numeric. Microtek, Luminous. Don't know which is reliable?

Any word on capacity ? va and AH needed?

@soulweaver what problems you face with the apc units?

I have been using Microtek SWE2 875 without any trouble for the past 1 1/2 years, alongwith Exide Invatubular battery. For 2 hours backup on the given load, a 875-900 VA inverter would suffice. However, for 5 hours backup on the full given load, a 1400VA double battery inverter may be required.

Also, pls note that running a high capacity inverter on less load leads to loss of efficiency.

You mentioned Tamil Nadu, are you in Chennai? I have had some decent luck with the locally assembled Maruthi UPS. I got a PC ups in 2004 and its still working fine. Only battery was replaced last year

Back