iPhone 3G software Upgrade

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,
I have a iPhone 3G, thinking of upgrading to iOS v4. The main concern is I had unlocked with using some software(don't remember the name) about 3 years back. brought it from grey market.

Now I fear that upgrading to latest version will lock the phone yet. so what the SAFE method to do this and to which iOS version should I upgrade. so phone can be unlocked again.

Thanks

mortdracu,

Thanks for reply. a followup question,

in iTunes, prompt is for iOS 4.2 only.

so should I go ahead? Will I be able to unlock again? I am bit nervous, as doing this for first time :ashamed:

Hades. said:
Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone?
Code:
Version 2.2(5G77)

Got this from Settings -> General -> About

the reason I want to upgrade is, newer apps refuse to installl, like Facebook. that's my prime reason for upgrading

Gaurish said:
Code:
Version 2.2(5G77)

Got this from Settings -> General -> About

the reason I want to upgrade is, newer apps refuse to installl, like Facebook. that's my prime reason for upgrading
Baseband version?

Thanks,

3 questions:

1) baseband needs to be updated as well or should I skip that?

2) GreenPois0n vs RedSn0w. Which one?

3) If I follow everything correctly, then It will work na? you sure?

Sorry, iPhone n00b:p

1) baseband needs to be updated as well or should I skip that?

I think it has to be updated... the only feature you would lose after updating the baseband would be GPS...

2) GreenPois0n vs RedSn0w. Which one?

Tools like Greenp0ison, limera1n etc etc are made specially for those people who just want to jailbreak their devices... People who have unlocked devices mostly relies on tools like pwnagetool and sn0wbreeze... because these tools are capable of updating the OS without updating the baseband... So i would suggest you to use RedSnow...

3) If I follow everything correctly, then It will work na? you sure?

yes if you will follow the steps properly without making any mistake...

The only thing that i am worried about is that how your iTunes is showing "update to iOS 4.2" dialog box when iOS 4.3.1 is already out... :S

And one more thing before updating the firmware i would advice you to edit your host file and add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

how to do this checkout this link: http://www.iphoneheat.com/2011/01/downgrade-ios-4-3-to-ios-4-2-1-4-1-iphone-4-3gs-ipod-touch-ipad/

Hades. said:
I think it has to be updated... the only feature you would lose after updating the baseband would be GPS...

Means GPS would stop working, so Any other way?

What happens if I don't upgrade baseband or it will be updated automatically? Do I even have a choice?

The only thing that i am worried about is that how your iTunes is showing "update to iOS 4.2" dialog box when iOS 4.3.1 is already out... :S

I think Apple has dropped iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 update. Can this be the reason? In that case, there is no cause of concern;)
Apple drops iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 updates | 9 to 5 Mac Apple drops iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 updates | Apple Intelligence

Gaurish said:
Means GPS would stop working, so Any other way?

no other way around...

What happens if I don't upgrade baseband or it will be updated automatically? Do I even have a choice?

i think you have to upgrade baseband if you want to upgrade your iOS... and if you want to unlock your iPhone on iOS 4.2.1

I think Apple has dropped iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 update. Can this be the reason? In that case, there is no cause of concern;)
Apple drops iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 updates | 9 to 5 Mac Apple drops iPhone 3G from iOS 4.3 updates | Apple Intelligence

i think thats the reason your iTunes is not showing "update to iOS 4.3" dialog box...

And i would also like to tell you that use the latest itunes version if your gonna jailbreak your iPhone 3G... :)

As per Wiki, for iOS 4.2.1 to be unlocked, Upgrade baseband to 6.15.00 is needed. Which in turn, will disable the GPS.

What if I upgrade iOS 4.0.2 for which Jailbreak is available and is unlockable via ultrasn0w? Thoughts?

Gaurish said:
As per Wiki, for iOS 4.2.1 to be unlocked, Upgrade baseband to 6.15.00 is needed. Which in turn, will disable the GPS.

What if I upgrade iOS 4.0.2 for which Jailbreak is available and is unlockable via ultrasn0w? Thoughts?
Try it... :) If it works good if it doesn't then try the above method... :)

Edit: Even if you will upgrade to iOS 4.0.2 then do not forget to edit the host file before updating the firmware...

Hades. said:
Try it... :) If it works good if it doesn't then try the above method... :)

Hmmm...Alright. further questions, sorry if I ask too many:p

1) After this, I will be able to upgrade from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.2.1. Incase I decide to on later stage but if I upgrade directly to 4.2 I can't downgrade to 4.0 Correct?

2) With iOS 4.0.2, GPS will work right?

3) What are the major difference between iOS 4.0 vs iOS 4.2 in terms of features,speed & performance. Or its the same?

4) for upgrading to iOS 4.0.2, Jailbreak still has to be done using RedSn0w and I have to select "Install iPad baseband" which is carrier unlocked with ultrasn0w. Correct?

Edit: Even if you will upgrade to iOS 4.0.2 then do not forget to edit the host file before updating the firmware...

What I have to enter?

Code:
apple.com 127.0.0.1
?

Gaurish said:
Hmmm...Alright. further questions, sorry if I ask too many:p

1) After this, I will be able to upgrade from iOS 4.0.2 to iOS 4.2.1. Incase I decide to on later stage but if I upgrade directly to 4.2 I can't downgrade to 4.0 Correct?

yup thats why i told you to try to unlock ur iPhone on iOS 4.0.2 first... and BTW to downgrade to iOS 4.0.2 you need to have SHSH blobs saved for that version on Cydia server...

2) With iOS 4.0.2, GPS will work right?

yup...

3) What are the major difference between iOS 4.0 vs iOS 4.2 in terms of features,speed & performance. Or its the same?

iOS Version History: iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :p

4) for upgrading to iOS 4.0.2, Jailbreak still has to be done using RedSn0w and I have to select "Install iPad baseband" which is carrier unlocked with ultrasn0w. Correct?

Correct

Jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 with Redsn0w [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

What I have to enter?

Code:
apple.com 127.0.0.1
?

Nope you have to add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com in the host file... if "apple.com 127.0.0.1" is there then you have to remove it... :)

Checkout this link: Downgrade iOS 4.3 to iOS 4.2.1, iOS 4.1 (iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch, iPad) | iPhoneHeat :)

Problem Problem, got got an error

* Upgrading to Version: iOS 4.2.1

* Following Guide: this

How did I get this error:

1) Downloaded iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

2) Connected iPhone 3G to the computer and launch iTunes. did Shift + Restore and browsed to the file downloaded in step 1.

More info:

1) I have verified the download ipsw file is not corrupt using SHA1 Hash. SHA1 Hash match to given on the wiki

2 Complete log

Current Status:

iPhone is stuck in recovery mode.

What to do?

Did you get this error after restoring the iPhone? and Have you tried to restore your iPhone with a latest iTunes version? And if its stuck in recovery mode then you can forcefully kick your iphone out from recovery mode by pressing and holding power + home button for few seconds before doing this make sure that your iphone is switched off and not connected to the computer...

AND BTW Have you edited the host file?

If you have then i would advice you to remove the gs xx.xx.xxx statement from it and give it a go... this time your iOS shsh blobs would be verified by apple server... instead of cydia server...

With all your help. I have managed to JailBreak + Unlock my iPhone. now running iOS version 4.2.1. Thanks a ton Hades. I really appreciate your assistance & guidance:hap2:

Gaurish said:
With all your help. I have managed to JailBreak + Unlock my iPhone. now running iOS version 4.2.1. Thanks a ton Hades. I really appreciate your assistance & guidance:hap2:
Really thats a great news... :D

Congrats...

I would like to say that you are not an iPhone noob... you take ppl advices but you use your mind too... thats a sign of a smart and veteran techie... ;)

Back