iphone 3gs from US

laptop7

Disciple
i got my iphone 3gs from US.. i dont know it has been unolocked or not. when inserted my Airtel sim card its not detecting i guess ....msin menu is not displayed

plzz help me how to make it work ??/

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

when i checked in itunes it says "The SIM card inserted in iphone does not appear to be supported error plzz help me to unlock this...

First of all, post the firmware and baseband versions of your iPhone.

Goto Settings -> General -> About for getting the above info.

thanks for replying..

i cant go to settings only Emergency call service is available

how ever from itunes i got the below information

iPhone, iPhone 3GS running firmware version 4.2.1

and no idea about band

^^Assuming from your firmware version, I am afraid your baseband must be the latest one too that cannot be unlocked at the moment. For started, there is a new jailbreak out today GreenPois0n that will allow you to jailbreak and atleast use your phone as iPod touch! But it is only for Macs at the moment. Do you know anyone who has a Mac?

All phones bought from the USA are carrier locked whether on Contract or not with AT&T,therefore will not work in India unless until unlocked and as far as unlock is concerned there is none at the moment for 4.2.1 ios though the Jailbreak is out

laptop7 said:
then how abt the below link it says we can unlock

Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 4.2.1 Firmware

can any one go through the above link and confirm is it safe to follow the mentioned steps???
Yea, thats a workaround to update your phones baseband to that of iPad. I was not sure if it worked for baseband's on 4.2.1! But its worth giving a shot!

For starters, get your phone jailbroken. Find someone with a Mac or wait for release of the tool that runs on Windows!

For all those people who are saying that there is no carrier unlock avaliable for iOS 4.2.1, please note that it is true only for iPhone 4. I am successfully using iOS 4.2.1 on my 3GS with a carrier unlock.

Its the above mentioned method which switches the baseband to an iPad baseband which can then be unlocked.

@laptop7

You could use the untethered Jailbreak tool detailed in the post above by Pat.

Or download redsn0w 0.9.6.5b which will give give you option to flash the firmware with the iPad basebands and then use Ultrasn0w unlock on it. You will have to update your 3GS to 4.2.1 through downloaded firmware from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download first and then use the redsn0w jailbreak.

Hi All

i have successfully jailbreak iphone 3gs with redsnow and installed cydia and ultra snow but iam geeting No service error it cant bale to detect the Airtel service and when i have a look into settings->phone ->SIM Application there i can see the Airtel servises

plzz help me hw to fix this

Go to settings and disable 3G and Data settings. You should then get Airtel coverage. Same problem occurs with my sister's iPhone where she sometimes accidentally switches on 3G and then gets no signal.

@ethanhunt123

He used Redsn0w to Jailbreak it, therefore he was able to use Ultrasn0w to unlock it. GreenPois0n is the tool for only Jailbreak and not unlock.

@laptop7

Check whether your carrier selection is set to 'Automatic' or not. I am actually quite stumped here. :(

Back