iPhone 3GS in India: At last. Will it sell, NOW?

I am an iPhone 2G user, data tx/rx is via EDGE on my set. Considering Airtel/Vodafone don't have 3G networks, how does a 3G/3GS tx/rx data ?

Aphro_EVO said:
I am an iPhone 2G user, data tx/rx is via EDGE on my set. Considering Airtel/Vodafone don't have 3G networks, how does a 3G/3GS tx/rx data ?

EDGE network on Vodafone is much much better than that in Airtel. for airtel, it's damn slow and unstable.

Aphro_EVO said:

These phones do have GPRS/EDGE/3G so if your network provider is not providing 3G service then the speeds will fall back to EDGE/GPRS whatever is available. Its is not that EDGE/GPRS does not exists at all in the 3GS. It does.

desiibond said:
EDGE network on Vodafone is much much better than that in Airtel. for airtel, it's damn slow and unstable.

I have never had vodafone but i am using Airtel EDGE and i feel it is good. Even on laptop i many a times get good speeds. On phone it is always good.

I was waiting for this launch.... Cmmon guys, how could you people buy such an expensive thing without warranty....!

In december i bought a 3G 8GB for 28.5k from iStore completely avoiding d grey market where d same was available for 27k- 27.5k.

I ask d grey market seller that your prices are too close to d airtel/voda n he says m giving it at 1000 bucks less, what else do you want? BLOODY HELL! what is your 1000 bucks against 1 year warranty..!!

Now dad wanted a 3GS, but was refraining to buy fromd grey market, now.. he has already booked one at d iStore Ludhiana....

^^ Thats what it is. It is only for fanboies and people having money lying around. 40k+ is ridiculously high and moreover it is carrier locked. I mean WTF :mad:
First they extort a premium from customer and on top of that give a carrier locked phone.
And selling 3G and 3GS in a market where 3G is non existent (at least for the mobile service providers like airtel/vodafone).

raksrules said:
^^ Thats what it is. It is only for fanboies and people having money lying around. 40k+ is ridiculously high and moreover it is carrier locked. I mean WTF :mad:
First they extort a premium from customer and on top of that give a carrier locked phone.
And selling 3G and 3GS in a market where 3G is non existent (at least for the mobile service providers like airtel/vodafone).
You summed it all dude :hap2:! This is insane. I posted the Indian pricing on one of the overseas forum and they loled at us:S.

I think people like me should go and hunt for a clean second hand 2G or 3G.

and any news on vodafone.. or he is not in the race even.. last time there was alot of hype.. voda had to some extent lower pricing for iPhone 3G.

Guys, why does Apple sell Factory Unlocked iPhones in Hongkong. it cost bloody 6000 Rs less for 32GB 3GS compared to what Airtel is offering..

iPhone - Apple Store (HongKong)

Vodafone too launches it along with Airtel now.

Regarding the costs being very high, apparently carrier locked but without contract iPhones even on AT&T network aren't much cheaper.

Here's an excerpt form one of the tech blogs:

"" Apple retail stores as of Thursday are selling unrestricted quantities of the iPhone 3G at the full, non-subsidized price of $599 for the 8GB version and $699 for the 16GB models ""

Read here: AppleInsider | Apple stores now selling iPhone 3G without a contract

On a dollar - rupee conversion and adding the duty/customs etc.. an equivalent price will come around (or maybe a few couple lesser) what is being offered by Indian Service Providers.

Back