iOS iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1, have some issues, planning to restore to 6.1.3 and downgrade back to 5.1.1 ?

raksrules

Elite
I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1. Since last few days there are some problems with the phone, all software issues.
The phone is jailbroken and i have cyntact tweak installed which displays contact pictures in the contacts app. Since last few days, the photos are getting jumbled up, as in Photo for contact 1 is assigned to some random contact, pictures disappearing from some contact etc. I uninstalled cyntact and reinstalled it but still no dice.
Also sometimes the battery life is miserable, not always but many a times after full recharge, the standy and usage time remains same full time, unless i do a reboot of the phone.
This does not happen always but frequently.

To mitigate all these issues, i am planning to restore the iPhone 4 and only possibility is to move to iOS 6.1.3 which is the latest version i can go to as of now for this phone. After this there are 2 options..

1. Jailbreak using Redsn0w on iOS 6.1.3 but this jailbreak is tethered only. This is the main drawback. Also everytime i will need to restart the iPhone i will need to iOS 6 IPSW file which is more cumbersome and more because the phone is my wife's and she won't be able to do all this everytime.

2. Go to iOS 6.1.3 and then use SHSH blobs of iOS 5.1.1 and restore back to 5.1.1 and then rejailbreak using Asinthe.

Has anyone done any of these ? Even if i do this, i might most probably do a setup as new device, in that case how do i backup some important stuff like SMSes / Contacts / WhatsApp messages etc ?

yea i have done it lot of times with my earlier iPhone 4...

well before doing all this stuffs, why don't you clear all the cydia tweaks and installed them again.
I know removing all the tweaks is pain in A$$ :p ...

so what you need to do is that simply un-install Mobile Substrate from Cydia and almost 99% tweaks will be removed.
try this & if it didn't worked for you... then restore to 5.1.1 :)

just simple follow the status & its done...

@sc3n3l0v3r

If i remove mobile substrate, will the dependent tweaks uninstall automatically ? Nothing will be screwed right ? And is it that some tweaks work in SAFE mode as well ? Like for me the NCSettings (toggles in notification center) work even phone is in SAFE mode.
I will have to write down all tweaks i have currently installed and only then i will remove mobile substrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baseband will get updated and you might run into problems while downgrading that. Why don't you simply reset the phone. Should solve all your problems.

Take backup in iTunes and after the reset just restore backup.

@Switch

Since it is jailbroken i cannot do the "Reset All Settings" and "Erase All Content and Settings" else it will send my phone in infinite loop and i will have no option than to restore. I had totally forgot about the baseband thing, thanks for reminding me that.
If i save the SHSH blobs of 5.1.1 and download the IPSW can i restore from iOS 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 only and then setup everything as new ?

@sc3n3l0v3r

If i remove mobile substrate, will the dependent tweaks uninstall automatically ? Nothing will be screwed right ? And is it that some tweaks work in SAFE mode as well ? Like for me the NCSettings (toggles in notification center) work even phone is in SAFE mode.
I will have to write down all tweaks i have currently installed and only then i will remove mobile substrate.

yea nothing will screw up...its safe ;)
I have done lot of times ...

There is a way for that ;)

Use this http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/05/23/how-to-use-ilex-rat/ Have used this more then once on iOS 6.1.2 so can vouch for it :). This is a life save for these kinds of things. Just give it a minute or so after giving the command. Sometimes it takes a while to start the process but it works for sure and saves your jailbreak also.

well you can do that though again its bit a complicated process... best remove mobile substrate & your phone will be fine :)

I think I now definitely need to do something about it.

suddenly there is an issue with this phone. The sound from speaker is completely mute when the phone is in jailbroken mode. Ringer and even music sounds. Tried to manually increase sound using hardware keys and also sliders within the sound settings but no go. <br />
I cannot even see the sound slider within the music app and not in App switcher as well.<br />
But if I connect the earphones sound starts working fine.<br />

Btw everything works fine in safe mode.

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1372486688.055507.jpg
ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1372486701.912623.jpg

Ok so the sound issue was coming and going so i had to finally restore the iPhone.
I used a 5.1.1 IPSW and iFaith to dump the SHSH blobs and then stitch those blobs to the IPSW and then used iTunes shift + restore to restore to iOS 5.1.1.
Never went to 6.1.3.

That's a safe way to do it. May I ask why stay at 5.1.1

Need jailbreak. 6.1.3 is only tethered JB.
About tethered JB i have a question, say i go to iOS 6.1.3, do a tethered jailbreak using evasi0n. Now say someday i have to restart the phone untethered as i have no access to computer or anything, will the phone just boot in normal mode as in stock iOS ? It won't refuse to start right ? If yes then i may plan to go to 6.1.3.

Back