iPhone frenzy: $850 5S selling on eBay for $2,300-$3,000

ayanavish

- binned -
Skilled
New York: In a burst of enthusiasm that seemed ambiguous just weeks ago, customers braved huge lines outside Apple stores on Friday to get their hands on the new iPhones. The demand tilted toward the more expensive model, with the gold-colored iPhone 5S a rage. Brian Ceballo, a Brooklyn musician spent two weeks camped outside Apple’s flagship Fifth Avenue store along with a crowd of tired, twenty-something loyalists to become the first New York owner of the new iPhone on Friday at 8 am.

The scarcity of the gold and silver iPhone 5S at stores and online on Friday has spawned the usual cottage industry on eBay, where the devices are fetching as much as $1,500 in auctions for the 32 GB version. Scalpers who managed to get hold of unlocked 64 GB gold iPhone 5S models in Apple stores for about $850 re-sold them on eBay, pocketing bids ranging from $2,300 to $3,000.

Demand for the gold iPhone 5S has been so great, it took just 30 minutes for the delivery time to slip until October at the earliest for those ordering online. By Friday 10 a.m all three versions of the iPhone 5S were delayed for shipment until next month.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/tech/iphon...2300-3000-1124533.html?utm_source=ref_article

Brainless people with oodles of money always like to show-off, wherever they may be. I am pretty sure most of the folks lining up and waiting 2 weeks camped outside an Apple store (really..?? :wtf: ) belong to this category..

I applaud anyone who has sold his new iPhone for a premium price running into thousands of dollars.

Brainless people with oodles of money always like to show-off, wherever they may be. I am pretty sure most of the folks lining up and waiting 2 weeks camped outside an Apple store (really..?? :wtf: ) belong to this category..

Many people have passions and they are willing to pay. Why does it have to mean that they are brainless. We also have a show off section over here, don't we.

If someone can get the same device at its actual price by waiting a few more days, and still gets it by paying 4 times or 5 times more; or someone is willing to camp outside a store for 2 weeks to get a gadget, he is brainless in my books. Being passionate is different from being brainless. Our show off section rarely showcases people splurging cash in excess of what something is worth just for the sake of being the first owner or only owner..

If someone can get the same device at its actual price by waiting a few more days, and still gets it by paying 4 times or 5 times more; or someone is willing to camp outside a store for 2 weeks to get a gadget, he is brainless in my books. Being passionate is different from being brainless. Our show off section rarely showcases people splurging cash in excess of what something is worth just for the sake of being the first owner or only owner..

There you have it. For some people the passion is to get it the very first day. Everyone does it for a sense of thrill/excitement. Those who are not so affluent stand in line. Those who have the purchasing power pay 4 times and get it without stepping out of their house.
Our show off section has people showing off watches worth lakhs. I can argue that what is the point as the purpose is only to tell time which even a Rs. 200 watch can do.
In the words of the great Blaise Pascal - The heart has it's reasons of which reason knows nothing.
We are not robots who will always make the correct logical choice. Now if one sells hi kidney to buy a phone, that one can term as being brainless, but if one has the means then why not.

Those who are not so affluent stand in line. Those who have the purchasing power pay 4 times and get it without stepping out of their house.

You have to be lacking brains and not be entirely affluent to make such choices. This is clearly being impatient.
People who have money to burn will purchase the device, which is not a limited edition thing, for insane pricing. One doesnt really gets even the proper bragging rights by purchasing early for the very reason that its not something which is rare/extinct. It ll eventually hit the stores again and people can get it at the price that it deserves. (not that apple products are priced properly anyway.)

Our show off section has people showing off watches worth lakhs.
I can argue that what is the point as the purpose is only to tell time which even a Rs. 200 watch can do.

Not that i agree with the utterly ridiculous priced watches, but one doesnt wears a phone. Nor does a watch goes inside your pocket, and neither is it enclosed in a case. A watch is visible on you every moment.

A watch/collection is viewed in a different light than a device which keeps getting revamped/outdated every few months.

All I am trying to say is every one has their own whims and fancies.
Their are people who have paid Ferrari millions of dollars for the Ferrari FXX knowing fully that the contract says that all they will be allowed to do is drive them and that too at a proper race track on days that Ferrari organize the event.
These people would most probably be masters of their businesses who are very intelligent and tactical about nearly every decision they make. But sometimes, the heart wants what the heart wants.
No one can make the logically correct choice every time. Otherwise all the worlds problems would have been solved by now. If the super-rich didn't throw their money around like this and used it for better causes, the whole world's hunger problems would have been solved by now.

Anyone who is buying so is probably utilizing their black money. Call the Income Tax office :p I heard on giving proper tips they give a reward too. :D

Back