iPhones Are Not Designed To Operate In Indian Environment

Same company making products.their suppliers are the same.until they (Xiaomi)used IPS displays,supplier was sharp.same as iPhone.processor is Qualcomm used in every top tier manufacturer.iphone uses Samsung nand chips.same used among many of those manufacturers like one plus or Xiaomi.

The processes for the devices in terms of the hardware is literally the same. What differs is overall configuration,choice of exterior materials and the software experience.

iPhone doesn't suffer from fragmentation like the android counterparts hence the softwares for apple devices is better optimised for The specs provided.

I think you cannot understand different companies provide services using a different business model.

Apple wants to believe it should be used by an exclusive few (in terms of India). In the USA ,a truck driver or even a sweeper uses an iPhone. Phones are sold on telecom contracts,so the total ownership cost isn't much different for the end user.

While companies like Xiaomi or one plus want to earn by selling higher volumes and keeping lowest inventory overhang as possible. Apple does this by keeping margins high.

Next time before making an assertion please back it up with something substantial.
That's a very reductionist approach. Every manufacturer has parts that range the whole spectrum from good to bad quality. There are various configurations that range from cheap to costly. There are standards of quality checks which is why a lot of Xiaomi devices are DOA or go dead in 10-20 days. Good parts also have a longer life while may not have any difference in specs or usage.

Bad shit happens to phones, and no one can deny that apple uses the best possible parts and quality in its phones. Whats sad is that on the occasion that its phone conk off, as is the risk with all electronics, it doesnt back it up with solid service and stand behind its product, and this trend is only in India. Other countries you can just swap the devices without much hassle at the apple stores.

Bad shit happens to phones, and no one can deny that apple uses the best possible parts and quality in its phones. Whats sad is that on the occasion that its phone conk off, as is the risk with all electronics, it doesnt back it up with solid service and stand behind its product, and this trend is only in India. Other countries you can just swap the devices without much hassle at the apple stores.
Exactly! This is why I'm pissed off at apple who charge first world prices and give third world service. Once they set up apple stores in India and provide same replacement experience, I would definitely buy apple for my family members.

People may choose to believe that everything that comes out of a single factory in china is of the exact same quality standards. Since this is a tech site, let's take an example of motherboards. There are high end mobos from the same brand, sometimes even in the same product line, which have superior components, like solid-state caps etc. Individual electronics components like caps, resistors, diodes have various levels of quality, running life, tolerance to extreme conditions etc etc. Like in that wsj article, planned obsolescence means that with today's modern science the running lifetime of pretty much every component can be quite accurately calculated. Nobody should be that naive as to believe everything is the same quality.

I personally would never own an apple device, well at least an iphone (the computers are not so bad these days), simply because of the locked down nature of the OS and the stupid proprietary sh!t like custom cable connectors etc. If someone gave me an iphone for free i would either sell it or give it to someone else. And yet, my reply to most n00bs when asked what mobile to buy, my answer is usually iphone if they match the target demo. Simply because the quality and overall UI/UX is miles apart of the rest.

On to service. It's pretty much common knowledge that service in India is absolute crap for even the top brands. There is a mentality of passing the blame and buck on to the customer and avoiding proper service as much as possibly. My Dell ultrasharp monitor had some minor issues which sorted themselves out over time, but when i called the customer care just to see how a return would work, he almost flat out refused to entertain my query. My casual inquiry now turned into something with a vengeance and i asked him wtf a premium panel, single dead-pixel advance exchange warranty means then? He pretty much wouldn't budge and even went so far as to ask me to mail them a photo of my monitor with the issue! FFS, if it was a power issue, what sense would mailing them a photo of a powered down monitor prove?

This is a trend with all brands, about a decade ago if you were to walk into the sony ericsson service center in vashi, the dude at the counter would start with pretty much every customer saying water damage!

Now here's another example. Back when we had the whole zte blade/OSF craze, me and a buddy got another buddy to bring two from the UK. It was the equivalent of around Rs. 7k then. Turned out one of them had one single dead pixel. barely noticeable. when he returned to london, i asked him to return it. he called them, they sent a replacement, minus the battery and cover, and took back the old phone. no questions asked, no check whether the phone was alive, no checking even if the original issue - the dead pixel - was geniuine.

we need better implementation of consumer protection laws here as well as MUCH more people who give a sh!t about getting their issues resolved the right way instead of wringing their hands saying FML.

/rant over

On to service. It's pretty much common knowledge that service in India is absolute crap for even the top brands. There is a mentality of passing the blame and buck on to the customer and avoiding proper service as much as possibly. My Dell ultrasharp monitor had some minor issues which sorted themselves out over time, but when i called the customer care just to see how a return would work, he almost flat out refused to entertain my query. My casual inquiry now turned into something with a vengeance and i asked him wtf a premium panel, single dead-pixel advance exchange warranty means then? He pretty much wouldn't budge and even went so far as to ask me to mail them a photo of my monitor with the issue! FFS, if it was a power issue, what sense would mailing them a photo of a powered down monitor prove?

This is a trend with all brands, about a decade ago if you were to walk into the sony ericsson service center in vashi, the dude at the counter would start with pretty much every customer saying water damage!

Now here's another example. Back when we had the whole zte blade/OSF craze, me and a buddy got another buddy to bring two from the UK. It was the equivalent of around Rs. 7k then. Turned out one of them had one single dead pixel. barely noticeable. when he returned to london, i asked him to return it. he called them, they sent a replacement, minus the battery and cover, and took back the old phone. no questions asked, no check whether the phone was alive, no checking even if the original issue - the dead pixel - was geniuine.

we need better implementation of consumer protection laws here as well as MUCH more people who give a sh!t about getting their issues resolved the right way instead of wringing their hands saying FML.

/rant over

While I agree with the points mentioned. There were instances of people abusing the no questions asked returns policy by e commerce websites by providing them in return, knockoffs of the same product or in some cases bricks. This scam took to such magnitude, that companies had to alter their return policy with regards to electronics.

Until the leeching mentality of our average population won't change, it might be difficult for us to be served with service with matches with the first world countries.

@Superbad Sadly, while I cannot help but agree with your argument, this is one of the major problems that is India specific. They need to work around this while keeping the scum out.

I never quite understood why the couriers who are accepting returns don't examine what the package contains right in front of the customer. At least instances where rocks/bricks are being returned could be avoided.

I never quite understood why the couriers who are accepting returns don't examine what the package contains right in front of the customer. At least instances where rocks/bricks are being returned could be avoided.
They always do in my experience.. But I guess you cant check spares like internal Laptop hdd etc. Or verify if its the same product that was bought or swapped.

Strange... Never have my returns been checked.... Even after saying that they can go right ahead & check it. It's probably because the e-comm sites do not want to risk upsetting customers who might take it as an insult that the implication is that they are trying to cheat.

Back