Audio iPod Touch international warranty?

arvnd

Disciple
Guys,

I bought an 8GB ipod touch from US last October. It has 1 year warranty. But I dont have the bill with me right now.

Now I noticed that there seems to be a small gap between the screen and the metal body in the lower left corner. Might be that I noticed it just now, but definitely there's a gap. Seems like the glue which sticks the screen to the body might have come off a little bit.

Looks like it might have been a manufacturing defect. It doesnt affect the functionality in any way, and the problem is NOT getting worse with time, but I was wondering if I can claim warranty for this in India. Do Ipods carry international warranty? Can we claim warranty for these kind of defects? Any idea what's the procedure to claim warranty ?

Thanks...

Pretty simple, just find out the nearest istore which provides the service and support. The person will plug your device and find out if it is in warranty and the engineer will inspect it. After which they will issue you a new/refurbished piece if they find a defect with your ipod.

Ipods do carry international warranty you don't need bill /invoice for it .Just go to the nearest Apple Service center and drop the ipod they will replace it .Warranty is by serial number .

Apple Warranty Check,go to this link and put in your serial number which is on the back of ipod touch and you can see the warranty status

Yup , int warranty. Where are you from ? In Delhi , they have a service center here in kalkaji. They dont really repair iPods though, just give u a refurb. My old 5G video iPod had a broken hold switch. I took it to them a week before end of warranty and they just got me a new one in 2 days.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I checked the serial number online. It is showing as under warranty.

@dhruv, I'm from Trivandrum, Kerala.
@karan and metalspree, let me check out the nearest istore.

How about the warranty for Ipods sold at grey market..? coz they say if the ipod is registered online you can claim the warranty (as good as the one sold in apple store)..

Ipod touch has international warranty , warranty period begins when you connect the ipod to itunes for the first time .

You can register your ipod touch even if you have purchased it from grey market .

rohan_mhtr said:
You can register your ipod touch even if you have purchased it from grey market .
I don't seem to get it. How is the warranty registered this way? Is there some internal mechanism within the iPod wherein the warranty ticks in when you connect the iPod to the iTunes? Assuming the PC does not have an internet conenction, there's no way iTunes will send the info to some server to register the warranty. I couldn't find such a policy mentioned in their documentation either.

Ipod touch does come with international warranty. I recently got mine replaced under warranty (There was a problem with the screen). The piece was bought in US, and they just needed the serial number to check about the warranty period. 2 days later got a brand new one.

Desecrator said:
I don't seem to get it. How is the warranty registered this way? Is there some internal mechanism within the iPod wherein the warranty ticks in when you connect the iPod to the iTunes? Assuming the PC does not have an internet conenction, there's no way iTunes will send the info to some server to register the warranty. I couldn't find such a policy mentioned in their documentation either.
I think the default is from the date of sale by Apple. (When it leaves Apple's inventory system)

If it is bought from Apple.com, Apple Store, or large Apple Reseller, they update the date after the sale.

If you bought from a reseller and you have proof of purchase (it needs to be a legitimate sale, not through grey channels) you can send the proof to Apple Support and they will update the date.

If you buy it in the grey market, it's at your own risk.

If Alfa bought it from Apple in Jan and you buy it form Alfa in March, you'll only get the remaining 9 months of warranty. (unless Alfa is an authorised seller, at which point you can send your proof of purchase to Apple and get your warranty status updated)

Sorry..missed to update this thread. The nearest istore was at Vazhuthacaud.
I've given my ipod touch for warranty replacement. They just checked the serial number and confirmed the warranty. No need of bill/proof of purchase.

I havent received the replacement piece yet. They said it will come in a couple of days.

Any idea if they'll give a refurbished piece or new one?
My iPod was a bit scratched...especially the back panel. Front glass also had a small scratch. Hope they give a fresh piece :)

They give you a brand new iPod Touch as the replacement. I have replaced my 2G Touch when it had fallen down and there was a dent at the back of the case which resulted in a defunct display. Yet the guy at the service center was kind enough to replace it.

Desecrator said:
They give you a brand new iPod Touch as the replacement. I have replaced my 2G Touch when it had fallen down and there was a dent at the back of the case which resulted in a defunct display. Yet the guy at the service center was kind enough to replace it.
Were you kind enough to tell him that you dropped it or did he figure it out himself? Or he wasn't able to figure it out? :p

Sei said:
Were you kind enough to tell him that you dropped it or did he figure it out himself? Or he wasn't able to figure it out? :p
Passed it to my wifey actually. She had walked into the service center and presumed innocent. Don't think she must have told him about the drop. Got a replacement after a couple of days. No questions asked.

I did post about this on a separate thread. Don't seem to find it though. :p

arvnd said:
Sorry..missed to update this thread. The nearest istore was at Vazhuthacaud.

I've given my ipod touch for warranty replacement. They just checked the serial number and confirmed the warranty. No need of bill/proof of purchase.

I havent received the replacement piece yet. They said it will come in a couple of days.

Any idea if they'll give a refurbished piece or new one?

My iPod was a bit scratched...especially the back panel. Front glass also had a small scratch. Hope they give a fresh piece :)
I got a refurbished one from the Mumbai Apple center. But the refurbished one had a new glass on top and a new case (So the back metal panel, bezel, etc were all new). So no way to say it was refurbished.

Desecrator said:
Got a replacement after a couple of days. No questions asked.

I did post about this on a separate thread. Don't seem to find it though. :p
This one? :p http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/apple-ipod-touch-2g-16gb-143582.html

BTW, can anyone clarify whether everyone will get a brand new piece? My iPod is in the RMA process now and they said that it will take at least ten days. The service centre guy told that they will replace it with a new piece but after watching the replies here I'm now fearing that I may get a refurbished one. :( I want only FRESH ;)

Update: Got my itouch replaced under warranty with a brand new piece :D

I was told it's brand new; screen and back panel etc are absolutely scratchless and it's covered with the all plastic wrappers and stuff like a new piece so I guess it's new. Any way to tell if it's refurbished or new?

BTW my warranty expiration was Oct 13th. I thought when they replace it, you get atleast 3 month warranty on the new piece, but when I checked online, warranty for the new serial number is still showing as Oct 13th. Any ideas here?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Edit: Warranty terms says I get atleast 90 days warranty on the piece

Apple - Support - iPod - Service FAQ

^^ confirmed with apple helpdesk that my warranty is valid for an additional 3 months even though on the website it shows as 13th Oct :)

Back