ipod touch or archos 605

I am getting a PMP from abroad. There are 2 choices, ipod touch 16gb and archos 605 wifi 160GB, both costing roughly same around 13.5k INR under sale. Which one would be a better option? And can i activate opera plugin in archos without having to pay extra 30dollars?

It's a no-contest really. The iPod Touch though very sexy and cool is quite limited in its capabilities compared to the Archos 605 Wifi. If you only want elegance and style then go for Apple. But if you want sheer performance, a whole load of storage space, divx/MPEG4 playback and a worthwhile multimedia performance then Archos is the way to go.

To make it simpler, if I were you, I'd pick up the 605 WiFi hands down.

i juz got my archos 605 wifi, but it's the 4gb flash edition which i put in another 8gb SDHC card for expanded memory.. loving it, the 800x480 resolution screen is absolutely gorgeous and the touchscreen interface works very well.. battery life wise, i'm getting around 4.5hrs but it should reach around 5hrs once the battery has gone through another few more charge cycles..

paying the extra $$ for plugins like opera browser does kinda suck, but then again i don't really use it for web browsing (i have my htc tytn II for that).. as a PMP, the archos is one of the best you can get now.. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Archos engineers to write a plugin that can support .mkv files ;)

burnz said:
i juz got my archos 605 wifi, but it's the 4gb flash edition which i put in another 8gb SDHC card for expanded memory.. loving it, the 800x480 resolution screen is absolutely gorgeous and the touchscreen interface works very well.. battery life wise, i'm getting around 4.5hrs but it should reach around 5hrs once the battery has gone through another few more charge cycles..

paying the extra $$ for plugins like opera browser does kinda suck, but then again i don't really use it for web browsing (i have my htc tytn II for that).. as a PMP, the archos is one of the best you can get now.. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Archos engineers to write a plugin that can support .mkv files ;)

Is that 5 hours of battery life of continous video playback or general usage? How about playing continous audio turning off the display completely. Does it reach the archos promised 17hours or not? Even 15 hours will do for me. I listen lots of audio. And how about audio quality?

tejinderss said:
Is that 5 hours of battery life of continous video playback or general usage? How about playing continous audio turning off the display completely. Does it reach the archos promised 17hours or not? Even 15 hours will do for me. I listen lots of audio. And how about audio quality?

yes, 5hrs of continuous video playback.. i've not tested the battery life on audio playback, since i mainly use the archos for watching video while stuck in traffic ;)

Better get anything better touch is insanly priced you an find much better counter parts for same size ... Try getting Cowon player they are awesome :D

as far as i remember, a member here had bought a pretty sleek lookin player from Singapore.. damn i 4got the name of the player and member ... Arrggghh ..

try the search if u wanna research b4 u get it ..

Id get the Ipod touch.Its just one sexy piece of hardware to carry in your hand.Especially once its jailbroken, you can install a shit load of 3rd party application, some of them just makes u want to scream wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee like eg. Google maps, NES emulator, iPhysics, notepad, msn messenger, sketch pad etc etc...

Depends on yr needs. if you are buying one for media functions then get the archos.but Archos will be too bulky for you to carry ard. If yr are looking for one that will fit easily in yr pocket and is light weight, ipod will be better.

BTW, if you are buying the ipod touch make sure your screens aren't defective. There have been reports of people getting defective screens with ipod touch. Also note that these aren't VFM devices and if you don't have access to wifi then there isn't much point getting them.

No wonder why people here are suggesting Archos 605 WiFi and I dont understand why are you asking for opinion either?

One cant be such a dumbass, can he?

make the right decision, go for iPod Touch

frankzzsword said:
No wonder why people here are suggesting Archos 605 WiFi and I dont understand why are you asking for opinion either?

One cant be such a dumbass, can he?

make the right decision, go for iPod Touch

Yeah Right!!!!! on what basis are u saying this :tongue:? I luv your confidence though

@ tejinderss - You have to go to Apple itouch if you are not worried about cost/memory capacity. The plus point is that its not bulky and easy to carry and also some small fancy features. Archos if u want to play almost all existing video formats/ better vfm, want a higher capacity (upto i guess 160gb) but is diffcult to use it on day today basis(like travelling in a crowded bus etc) I own a Cowon a2 and i find it much better than the itouch (ofcourse i miss the itouch's touchscreen and auto screen rotation capability) but i guess anytime of the day, i will choose just drag and drop the video/audio files into the player rather than worrying about the format or using a software to transfer files to pmp.

lets put it simple......
its 16 GB Vs 160 Gb......
10 times the space......
so if u need that stuff to show off n look cool.....
its gotta be ipod touch....

Back