Is 720p better than 1080i ?

I have a Samsung bordeaux 32" lcd tv (la32r71) connected to a PS3 via an unbranded 3 " HDMI cable i got with my tv. Currently i have the ps3 set to 1080i and am unhappy with the picture quality especially while gaming. The colours seem inaccurate and have a slight banding effect and seem over saturated. Is this the cheap hdmi cable's fault or will switching to 720p help ?

TIA

^^are you sure your tv is FULL HD1080 or does it just scale down?

the cost would be a clear indication

EDIT::googled... its 720p so it downsclaes 1080i

so its better for you to use 720 itself :)

Quality cables have considerable less drop in gain and less signal strength loss per meter of cable so its better to get certified HDMI cable.

Did u go to PS3's display setting and turn on 'Full RGB', also turn on full white or super white (I dont really remember). After I turned on Full RGB colors visibly improved a lot !!

cable quality may be important when it comes to analogue cables but with HDMI, the signal quality issue does not exist. It will either work or it wont. HDMI is digital signal so unlike Component / Composite cables, signal quality is not an issue.

Its basically on or off. If all is ok, he will get signal on TV with HDMI, otherwise he wont.

So cable is not an issue. look elsewhere.

720P is definitely better than 1080i.

I can feel it when i run computer on my lcd.

And about HDMI cable..it will work or it wont work ...no other thing

720p is better. i stands for interlaced i.e. that is that the picture displayed is done by showing lines alternatively on screen hence overlapping or flickering can occur. p stands for progressive i.e. the image is displayed in one single go. Choose p over i anyday.

I also saw somewhere ESPN in US n other places recommend users to switch over 720P for better viewing for fast moving objects instead of 'i'.

Shripad said:
cable quality may be important when it comes to analogue cables but with HDMI, the signal quality issue does not exist. It will either work or it wont. HDMI is digital signal so unlike Component / Composite cables, signal quality is not an issue.
Its basically on or off. If all is ok, he will get signal on TV with HDMI, otherwise he wont.

So cable is not an issue. look elsewhere.

very true...............

Many HD broadcasts in the US are in 1080i format.. Maybe to save bandwidth or something? interlaced requiring lesser size??! No clue here..

rockfella said:
OK, lets help the OP now. How can he change 1080i to 1080P on his PS3?

He cant change to 1080p since his TV does not support it.
If he forces 1080p the TV will scale the picture down to 1080i or 720p

To get the best quality you will have to get the output on the PS3 to 720p :eek:hyeah:

Back