Graphic Cards is 8600 the right choice?

targetblimp

Disciple
ok right now 8600 is a great card. its cheap and its powerful. but what in the long run. can this card really provide enough power to run crysis or hell gate: london. even right now its giving only 37 fps in f.e.a.r that too at 1280x960 (reference guru 3d).

you know what i think in about 6 months time this card is gonna suck big-time!

Mainstream cards are never good for long run. They are always meant to be for now. Even high end card get outdated fast. Not long ago top of the line cards struggled to get 37FPS in FEAR.

37FPS in fear is perfectly playable.

What more can you ask from sub 10k card?

well,im not sure why people think crysis will be hard on hardware.

you all might have heard,crysis beta (or alpha?) ran at 19*12 (or was that 20*15) at full details and 25fps+ with a single 8800.

Im sure there will be a lot of tweaks before the final version will be out,still i think you maybe able to run at reasonable details at 10*7 or 12*10 with 8600..

not everyone in the world can afford to buy 8800's and 30 inch LCD monitors.

The makers of any game keep in mind their sales, which depend on the games being able to run on medium / older generation hardware.

An 8600 will definitely be able to handle Crysis, but you might have to lower the details a bit.

ya if u really into crysis and HG:london, wait a coupla months AMD/ATI is gonna be out soon. ati always performed well with Shader intensive games, which crysis will heavily depend on so u may have a better option.

I thought ati might have better value/mainstream parts this time ,but now i realize i might be really wrong at least about value part :down:
4 rop

crysis might be really close between nvidia and ati ;)

The 86xx series haven't got good reviews when it comes to gaming, but for htpc use, especially accelerating h.264, its the bee's knees :D

Looking at the history, Far Cry worked better on ATI cards....so my guess is that Crysis is gonna work well on ATI's Dx10 cards as well!!

I think HD 2600XT will play Crysis very well and will b well below the 10k mark!!

lol which world you are living in man?

HD2600XT at 10k??? I dont think so

ATI is always little more expensive here.

should be 13-15k.

yeah, ati cards are much expensive then their nvidia counterparts...even more in the beginning. So i guess you will have to wait more than a couple of months.

yep....in india ati cards are always gonna retail for more then the nv counterparts.....and more so wont even be available sometimes

8800 GTS is usually $50-80 more and gives plenty of performance. I originally thought that I would get an 8600 series when they came out, but after seeing 32 stream proccys vs 96 and 128 bit interface vs 320... High clock speeds can't outdo that.

Of course, I've heard that the high-end ATI card will have 320 stream proccys so...

R600 has only 64 not 320 stream processors.

AFAIK,8600's stream processors might be efficient than 8800's,
but narrow memory bus wont help..

I thought that I heard 320 stream proccys for 2800xtx (maybe 2900?) of course it'll start at around $600.

R600 is the base core specification R650 is also in development.

The 2900 is 65nm R600 with

-320 Stream proccys

-512 bit interface

-115gb/s memory bandwidth

The 2400 is 65nm RV610 with

-? stream proccys

-64 bit interface

-6.4 gb/s memory bandwidth

I'd still say to go with 8800gts though.

ps, I like that sig too.

Don't know, this time the battle will be quite significant. Sales wise, product success wise, NVIDIA's even number product line has always traditionally equaled ATI.

For example: GeForce1 - First DX7 architecture, no real competitor :D

GeForce2 - Was ultimately more successful than ATI Radeon, even though Radeon had better features...

GeForce3 vs. Radeon 8500 - Was a tough battle, but again NVIDIA won due to better drivers.

GeForce4 Ti - Runaway success....

GeForce FX - Runaway failure...But it fought well till the 6600 was released. :)

GeForce 6 - Like GeForce2, sales wise they became the winner as compared to ATI, even if they didn't have the fastest card on Earth (for example, Radeon X850XT PE is faster than 6800U)

GeForce 7 - Tough battle, win some, lose some....Lots of IQ problems, bugs, no angle independent AF

GeForce 8 - I can only hope it repeats the success of the GeForce 2, 4 and 6 series...This looks like some sort of blessing, every 2 generations NVIDIA ultimtely wins the war, whether in terms of sales or in terms of performance. :D

But logically speaking, this time around NVIDIA has had the DX10 hardware for quite a while now, they have had plenty of time to prepare themselves for ATI's offering, there may even be an 8800 Ultra or 8900 in the works, but maybe this generation, like the 6 series, will end with NVIDIA getting better sales despite not having the fastest card on Earth....:D

@Darth, really well thought out stuff dude

too bad crappy vista driver support still persists, but i guess by the time a DX10 game does come along they'll have taken care of that

All of u guys should check out the interview on Crysis Online where the Crytek CEO & President Cevat Yeru mentions that Crysis will be able to run right from the Geforce 6600GT onwards... (low settings... offcourse)

Actually the Crysis team have set the aim to set the system requirements to run FarCry at the maximum, as the minimum requirement to run Crysis... I hope I'm clear... In other words if you have a 2 year old PC with a 6600GT or higher and can play FarCry on full graphics then your PC would handle Crysis easily... (low settings)

I think the 8600GT would handle Crysis at medium settings... and a 8800 Series at high settings... minus the AF & AA

But I think we'll need the High Geforce 9 Series to run it at Ultra (Very High) settings with 4xAA and 16AF...

Back