Graphic Cards is 8600 the right choice?

lol dude if u have a SLI mobo i'de say wait for a while get a 8800 320mb and sli it with ur 8600
(might or might not happen just a thought here) AFA the 8600 GTS are concernd u can overclock it specially the galaxy ones which have that crazy zalman fans ontop of them and the temp is also low compaerd to XFX ones full load the Galaxy 8600GTS/GT are around 59-64 but the XFX 8600GTS/GT are rouching 79-84 even the BIG ones are lower on the temps here

Darth_Infernus said:
Don't know, this time the battle will be quite significant. Sales wise, product success wise, NVIDIA's even number product line has always traditionally equaled ATI.

For example: GeForce1 - First DX7 architecture, no real competitor :D

GeForce2 - Was ultimately more successful than ATI Radeon, even though Radeon had better features...

GeForce3 vs. Radeon 8500 - Was a tough battle, but again NVIDIA won due to better drivers.

GeForce4 Ti - Runaway success....

GeForce FX - Runaway failure...But it fought well till the 6600 was released. :)

GeForce 6 - Like GeForce2, sales wise they became the winner as compared to ATI, even if they didn't have the fastest card on Earth (for example, Radeon X850XT PE is faster than 6800U)

GeForce 7 - Tough battle, win some, lose some....Lots of IQ problems, bugs, no angle independent AF

GeForce 8 - I can only hope it repeats the success of the GeForce 2, 4 and 6 series...This looks like some sort of blessing, every 2 generations NVIDIA ultimtely wins the war, whether in terms of sales or in terms of performance. :D

But logically speaking, this time around NVIDIA has had the DX10 hardware for quite a while now, they have had plenty of time to prepare themselves for ATI's offering, there may even be an 8800 Ultra or 8900 in the works, but maybe this generation, like the 6 series, will end with NVIDIA getting better sales despite not having the fastest card on Earth....:D

neat compare
well the Gforce series is heading towards the 9 series card (read somewhere)
and ATI is just entering the DX10 battlegrounds,im not playing fav. here its just that ATI lost the chance of dominating the Nvidia when they face serious driver issues with VISTA;that was the only chance when ATI cud have launched their cards with stable drivers then it wud have been a solid battle between both of them well by the looks of ATI right now its stilla long way to go i think the next Q2 will show some crazy graphic hardware

Ero-Sannin said:
lol dude if u have a SLI mobo i'de say wait for a while get a 8800 320mb and sli it with ur 8600
(might or might not happen just a thought here) AFA the 8600 GTS are concernd u can overclock it specially the galaxy ones which have that crazy zalman fans ontop of them and the temp is also low compaerd to XFX ones full load the Galaxy 8600GTS/GT are around 59-64 but the XFX 8600GTS/GT are rouching 79-84 even the BIG ones are lower on the temps here

There won't be any temp problems if u replace the stock XFX heatsink with Thermalright HR-07.... Idle temps would fall down to 35C and onload with OC'ing would not be more than 50C...

But whose got 2.5K to spend on a heatsink for a midrange card... not me ateast...

But whose got 2.5K to spend on a heatsink for a midrange card... not me ateast...
Absolutely right.........But for most of us , temps are a secondary thing....its like it'll be handled later kinda stuff.......Half of the people here wont even look at the temps and shit before buying a card......they'll buy anything as long its got that GPU chip and its go a good brand tag........hell some of my friends don't even know what nVidia manufactures ........I told a guy that he can get Leadtek or Galaxy 8 series cards , but he said he wanted nVidia only :)ASHAMED:) .....well for this threads sake i would say the 8600 cards are descent , if not outright amazing, and can handle you till crysis is out .....i bought myine not for crysis , but to hold me up for stuff bfore that..........its crazy to speculate even the 8800s performance.....hey even the official requirements aint even out........

phoenix said:
Absolutely right.........But for most of us , temps are a secondary thing....its like it'll be handled later kinda stuff.......Half of the people here wont even look at the temps and shit before buying a card......they'll buy anything as long its got that GPU chip and its go a good brand tag........hell some of my friends don't even know what nVidia manufactures ........I told a guy that he can get Leadtek or Galaxy 8 series cards , but he said he wanted nVidia only :)ASHAMED:) .....well for this threads sake i would say the 8600 cards are descent , if not outright amazing, and can handle you till crysis is out .....i bought myine not for crysis , but to hold me up for stuff bfore that..........its crazy to speculate even the 8800s performance.....hey even the official requirements aint even out........

By the time it comes out i guess we'll get a geforce 9 series GPU :cool2: :cool2:

Now I also have to say u dnt know completely why the temps of XFX are so huge :p....the cooler is a bit small, that is a part of the reason. But actually I tested the XFX 8600GT with a DMM & found that the voltage to the GPU is 1.42 V :O ( up frm 1.33 V default in 8600GT/8600GTS)....that results in XFX card core/shader going as much as upto 730/1566. As of the memory voltage , its again set to quite high to 2.11V(up from arnd 1.9~1.95 V on DDR3 700Mhz chips). This results memory to go upto 850Mhz(1700Mhz eff) without any issues.

So, as sual XFX always continues the tradition of being very Ocable....plus u might also notice that XFX has all solid caps(plus more no of caps & even an EMI filter inductor) compared to electrolytic ones of Galaxy. Only advantage of Galaxy is the better Coolermaster cooler.

I get temps of arnd 82-84 in load with rthdribl/NFS carbon at OCed state 700/1700 (this 2 usually pruduces max temps on a video card)...with stock idle of arnd 55 degrees.

And lastly I would trust an XFX any day over a Galaxy/Leadtek due to their good reputation. Thats all I have to say :p

neville_kc said:
There won't be any temp problems if u replace the stock XFX heatsink with Thermalright HR-07.... Idle temps would fall down to 35C and onload with OC'ing would not be more than 50C...

the galaxy ones are having low temps even on the default fans and the heatsink
i'de rather buy this one than spend another 2.5k on the HR 07:no:

neville_kc said:

Ero-Sannin said:
the galaxy ones are having low temps even on the default fans and the heatsink
i'de rather buy this one than spend another 2.5k on the HR 07:no:

Like i said above...

Supra said:
Now I also have to say u dnt know completely why the temps of XFX are so huge :p....the cooler is a bit small, that is a part of the reason. But actually I tested the XFX 8600GT with a DMM & found that the voltage to the GPU is 1.42 V :O ( up frm 1.33 V default in 8600GT/8600GTS)....that results in XFX card core/shader going as much as upto 730/1566. As of the memory voltage , its again set to quite high to 2.11V(up from arnd 1.9~1.95 V on DDR3 700Mhz chips). This results memory to go upto 850Mhz(1700Mhz eff) without any issues.

So, as sual XFX always continues the tradition of being very Ocable....plus u might also notice that XFX has all solid caps(plus more no of caps & even an EMI filter inductor) compared to electrolytic ones of Galaxy. Only advantage of Galaxy is the better Coolermaster cooler.

I get temps of arnd 82-84 in load with rthdribl/NFS carbon at OCed state 700/1700 (this 2 usually pruduces max temps on a video card)...with stock idle of arnd 55 degrees.

And lastly I would trust an XFX any day over a Galaxy/Leadtek due to their good reputation. Thats all I have to say :p

Your research about the voltages... makes me :hap2: :clap: :hap2: :clap: about my XFX 8600GT...

Here a volt mod guide for all the XFX 8600GT owners...

XFX 8600GT *UDF3 Voltmod - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

MAKE SURE U GET SOME GOOD COOLING...
Is the HR-07 looking option looking brighter now??

P.S: The HR-07 Rev.A for the 8600GT has a price drop... 2.1k + VAT from Prime ABGB...

Back