Budget 0-20k Is a 3rd generation low-budget build worth pursuing?

crytt

Recruit
What is your budget?
What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel i5 3450
Motherboard - None
GPU - None
RAM - None
PSU - Antec Atom 450
Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Motherboard - B75
GPU - Any decent budget GPU
Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Surat
Open to online purchase
What is your intended use for this
PC/hardware
Secondary Desktop/Work Computer
If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Horror - Alien Isolation at medium setting
Action - Bioshock Infinite at high settings
What is your preferred resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1600x900
Desktop - 1920x1080
Are you looking to overclock?
Not yet decided
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Ubuntu Linux

I managed to find a i5 3450 fairly cheap and in good condition, but while selecting worthwhile parts for it discovered that good motherboards for it are no longer on the market and the build is going overbudget into the 25-30k region.
Should I look into one of the newer budget CPUs instead or maybe try to make do with a shitty H61 mobo? Benchmarks of 3450 seem to be decent, so I don't want to give up just yet.

Basically, if a good USB 3.0 supporting motherboard were available for it, I'd be delighted to make a build that might still be viable for everyday use (if a bit underpowered) for the next few years.

Last edited:
my two cents, I’m still running 3550 cpu, almost 10 years now, I had pricey ASUS z77 board, after few years went dead. Got myself 10k intel d77 board because of unavailablity, But the combo was worth, it works very well for everyday task, I don’t want to replace it, in your case it will work well with resolution you mentioned with decent gpu. But I would strongly against it, it is too old now, any issue you are back to square one, expensive/ridiculous sourcing of parts, windows 10 will work fine. Spend 30k on latest build, intel chipset from 10th gen, even the i3 will be much more powerful than 3rd gen i5 and it will guarantee years of usage.

I have a 3440 build more than 10 yrs approx. barely get to use my system. But yes its better to upgrade to new system if you are spending some money.
You can also look at amd combos as well.

Even if you buy the motherboard "new", it's aging hardware that's probably been kept around for years. Take a look at this thread where someone else was looking for a replacement board for 3570K https://techenclave.com/threads/gig...s-onboard-and-dedicat-gpu.206905/post-2387470

With a GPU, 20k is a big stretch. But there's some decent GPUs on sale right now in the market section, might want to give those a look. They are several generations old but should work for your purposes.

You have a budget for a new system, go with that instead of dumping money into an old platform. It won't work for your gaming needs and you won't just play those 2 games on it.
i3-12100F, H610M-E D4 + 16GB DDR4 RAM.

Sell your CPU and RAM here later.

Additional info for your cheap H61 mobo. I bought one from amazon for backup/troubleshoot purposes this sale. Costed me just 2000 INR for Ant H61MAD3-N has USB 3.0 header (for front port, not sure if functional) and Nvme M.2 slot also.
The downside of this mobo is a very basic BIOS which has a couple settings which don't work such as adjusting DRAM clocks (max 1333Mhz) or sleep states (S1/S3 switch), it doesn't have S3 sleep mode (only S1 works), no PWM control on CPU fan despite having 4 pins and not to mention I wouldn't even run i5 let alone i7 CPUs on this because of cheap VRMs on this thing although the caps are Japanese so if used with i3 or below I hope this is gonna last long.

Last edited:
I would agree with other people saying it just isn't worth it.

I'd say you'd be better off with something this, Have a look at this: https://techenclave.com/threads/r5-2400g-build.215166/#post-2475816 , You might be able to snatch a 1060 6gb or rx570/580 4gb/8gb for around 6-7k (if you get a great deal) until then you could use iGPU.
Not too sure about the above pricing (feel like its overpriced imo but thats just me) other people can give their opinion on the price maybe to better guide you

I see, I suppose I'll try to look for good deals on more recent hardware. On the bright side, I managed to find a used RX 580 for 7K, so that take cares of the GPU budget problem!
Sell your CPU and RAM here later.
I went to check this out and apparently new users can't create a thread there anymore (even though I've been lurking here on and off for more than two years). Oh well.

Is it the 4gb or 8gb variant? If it's the 8GB variant, It'll help with the longevity a bit tbh. Nevertheless even the 4gb one is great for 1080p and lower. (Source: I had a 4gb rx570 for 3 years)

Is it the 4gb or 8gb variant? If it's the 8GB variant, It'll help with the longevity a bit tbh. Nevertheless even the 4gb one is great for 1080p and lower. (Source: I had a 4gb rx570 for 3 years)
4 GB. I also managed to find a 8 GB for around 10K, do you think it is worth the cost difference?

Back