CPU/Mobo Is a core i5 worth it over a core i3?

I think looking for a laptop with IPS display would be a good bet considering your requirements. Btw I have a laptop with an i3 (4th gen) and it doesn't have problems with h265 @1080p.
i mainly watch movies and surf so wanted a full HD. But a full HD with IPS under 500$ i cant find so will have to compromise

I got a Lenovo Flex 2 for 36k from amazon a year back with an i3 ips fhd 820m. You should probably be able to get much better than that at that budget from the US.

I got a Lenovo Flex 2 for 36k from amazon a year back with an i3 ips fhd 820m. You should probably be able to get much better than that at that budget from the US.
flex is for 32k now but it has i3 4th gen only though it has everything else i want including a backlit keyboard and Full HD IPS + perfect 14inch size and light weight. btw arent ips having slow response time so blurry in action etc?i have searched amazon.com full and for 460$ i got a 15.3 inch 6th gen i5+ 1tb + 8 gb + full HD non ips + hd webcam HP laptop. nothing better even till 500$ i could find.

Keep checking Slickdeals for laptop deals in USA. For $500 generally you would get i5-6200U, 1TB HDD with 8GB RAM and 15.6" FHD screen. Dell provides same specs with backlit keyboard. Also do not forget taxes on listed price on these E-Commerce sites.

Keep checking Slickdeals for laptop deals in USA. For $500 generally you would get i5-6200U, 1TB HDD with 8GB RAM and 15.6" FHD screen. Dell provides same specs with backlit keyboard. Also do not forget taxes on listed price on these E-Commerce sites.
can you post the Dell 499$ with IPS and full HD and backlit keys and new ?

Not IPS, screen would be just FHD. Deals are not always ON; would post one when I see one. :)
ok but HP already has one for 460$ i5 6gen ,full hd, 8gb ,1tb with NON ips and NON backlit keys. if i pay 500$ i would like a IPS screen atleast if not backlit keys.

ok but HP already has one for 460$ i5 6gen ,full hd, 8gb ,1tb with NON ips and NON backlit keys. if i pay 500$ i would like a IPS screen atleast if not backlit keys.

IPS might cost another 50. Backlit would cost 30, if option is available. Add taxes to that amount. $460 + taxes would be near $500.

IPS might cost another 50. Backlit would cost 30, if option is available. Add taxes to that amount. $460 + taxes would be near $500.
yeah but i dont see any laptop of even 510 $ with the same specs with IPS display. backlit keys i can live without too so can be ignored.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=998661&quantity=1

In this link, if you add IPS screen and backlit keyboard cost comes to $490. Do note that you have to add laptop to cart to see final price.

upload_2016-5-9_17-41-12.png

http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=998661&quantity=1

In this link, if you add IPS screen and backlit keyboard cost comes to $490. Do note that you have to add laptop to cart to see final price.

View attachment 64278
Thanks for the great help. I was taking price references without adding to cart and did not see discounted price. for 489 $ this does look great. However this laptop has a lot of negative reviews on amazon, dunno why. http://goo.gl/n3BMst ready to buy but the reviews scaring me as if something goes wrong i wont have warranty in india[DOUBLEPOST=1462820602][/DOUBLEPOST]
Backlit keyboards are cool (and so are touchscreens) but I'd rather have homely little matte FHD IPS screen .
almost none specify if the screen is matte or glossy. hard to find it unless you see the laptop before buying.

Last edited:
A lot has already been covered so far. But I'd like to add that don't just make a decision on the basis of processor solely. Computer processors have reached maturity a long time ago. I still use my 8 year old Dell Studio laptop with Core 2 Duo P8600 as my primary computer and I have no reason to upgrade! And yes, it plays HEVC just fine without any lags (near 100% usage though)

In the long term, weight (evenly-distributed and light), build quality, keyboard and touchpad quality will matter much more than CPU.

Also decide on the basis of which laptop has a better screen, better battery life and last but not the least...looks!

PS: Typing this by taking remote access of my 8 year old laptop via my Xiaomi tablet as my laptop's hinge is broken and it stays put at one place. Still find no reason to upgrade :p

Window shopped ysday in nehru place. Prices much higher than online. A core i3 6gen matte laptop was fr 37k from HP. The ips glossy screens did produce richer colors but were way too reflective. My earlier netbook too was glossy i just saw but never had a issue as maybe lighting at home isn't like those ultra bright showrooms. Do ips panels come with anti glare tech ? All ips panels i saw were glossy reflective ones.

Back