Best is to download Netlimiter tool and set all your speeds below 2mbp for a day and then see what your ACT shows on consumption page for that day.
This is how I did for Hathway.
You can then very well catch the culprit.

Actually in between I was also in same boat as even with almost zero usage from my sides I could see hathway showing between 400-6oo+MB usage on daily basis.
What I did is deployed this tool for every user on my pc and configured some polices which are fairly too easy and just kept 2mbp ul/dl speeds.

Immediately on next day the internet usage reportedly came down to just 150mb or so.

Then digged deep inside and found some apps doing background activities.

So my ISP wasnt charging anything wrong but my system apps were responsible for the same.

OP already called ACT Broadband as CON without any evidence/Proof of them overshooting his usage. People should constantly monitor their internet usage and wireless devices if any.

Perhaps someone else could be using the connection via Wi-Fi for FREE. :)

I'm not sure about the usage part.. There have been many complaints in the past here in the forum.. But I somehow feel iOS and windows updates are culprits here..
But let me clarify the FUP reset charges part..
The amount shown to reset FUP in the message you got (~400rs) will actually reset your full FUP.. So if your usage count will actually start from 0 again..
And the amount shown to reset FUP in the portal (~200rs) will reset the FUP on a prorata basis.. That means if you have about 10 days left of the month then you get (FUP/30)*10 worth of more data and not the full FUP..
Hence the difference in cost..
I have also seen that, if you consume your FUP within say 20th~21st of the month, then the cost to reset full FUP is maximum and it gradually decreases day by day as you near the month end.. So I usually reset my full FUP on 28th for about 199 and complete all game updates on the PS4 and other downloads if any..

Last edited:
@Chaos You forgot to remove the IP address from the footer of your screenshots.

On topic, I've caught them twice red handed with Bandwidth monitor and they reset my FUP. After that it has been ok (I discard 1-2GB difference) but I always keep a check on the Bandwidth monitor.

@Chaos You forgot to remove the IP address from the footer of your screenshots.

On topic, I've caught them twice red handed with Bandwidth monitor and they reset my FUP. After that it has been ok (I discard 1-2GB difference) but I always keep a check on the Bandwidth monitor.

That's what I'm talking about.

OP already called ACT Broadband as CON without any evidence/Proof of them overshooting his usage. People should constantly monitor their internet usage and wireless devices if any.

Perhaps someone else could be using the connection via Wi-Fi for FREE. :)

The reason why I called them a 'Con', is only after going through multiple threads on other forum where one guy has actually put up a petition on change.org. And also on the basis of them not clarifying anything.

About your second point, even if someone was using my wifi for free, even then my usage has just about crossed 60% of my allotted data, sitting at 36.4GB or 60GB.

I'm not sure about the usage part.. There have been many complaints in the past here in the forum.. But I somehow feel iOS and windows updates are culprits here..
But let me clarify the FUP reset charges part..
The amount shown to reset FUP in the message you got (~400rs) will actually reset your full FUP.. So if your usage count will actually start from 0 again..
And the amount shown to reset FUP in the portal (~200rs) will reset the FUP on a prorata basis.. That means if you have about 10 days left of the month then you get (FUP/30)*10 worth of more data and not the full FUP..
Hence the difference in cost..
I have also seen that, if you consume your FUP within say 20th~21st of the month, then the cost to reset full FUP is maximum and it gradually decreases day by day as you near the month end.. So I usually reset my full FUP on 28th for about 199 and complete all game updates on the PS4 and other downloads if any..

Didn't know about pro-rata and complete FUP reset. It was my mistake. I take it back. I'll edit the main text accordingly.

The reason why I called them a 'Con', is only after going through multiple threads on other forum where one guy has actually put up a petition on change.org. And also on the basis of them not clarifying anything.
Can we just say, you find your proof against ACT and call them they conned you on your findings? All I am asking is to talk your experience and finding instead of concluding on others findings as your problem.

Can we just say, you find your proof against ACT and call them they conned you on your findings? All I am asking is to talk your experience and finding instead of concluding on others findings as your problem.
I did ask them to share a log. Also, I changed the title to invite debate.

Yes, Act is stealing GB's of data from accounts, happened with me while i was in Bangalore and also happened with my friend. Now, i am not going to supply screenshots of things which happened few months back when i was in Bangalore, so either take it or leave it.

Yes, Act is stealing GB's of data from accounts, happened with me while i was in Bangalore and also happened with my friend. Now, i am not going to supply screenshots of things which happened few months back when i was in Bangalore, so either take it or leave it.

Woah buddy! No one is asking for screenshots. Chill

Woah buddy! No one is asking for screenshots. Chill

Just made it clear as the thread is filled with people asking proofs and screenshots, i am the last one to rant against Act, went from being a fanboy and one of the their first customers to a hater within a few years of their existence. Stealing GB's, downgrading Bangalore plans to 512Kbps FUP. Frankly, Act is the new Failtel.

Guys,

Do monitor your data usage in your router, it's very easy to do.

Invest in a Raspberry Pi, install Pi-Hole and block ads on the entire network, it will save lots of bandwidth.

Finally, pray that Reliance Jio GigaFiber will come to us soon, and we will no longer be slaves to these ISPs.

Seems like this is happening more in Bangalore or people are not complaining in other cities. Not sure. Yes, I had the same problem with ACT in Chennai. When I complained the ACT technician told that there were some more MAC address apart from the one I was using and told me to change the password of my Wi-Fi router as well as the ACT password. I had changed and did not face any problem until now but I do not know who had used the connection before as ACT totally refused to own up this problem citing the reason that the password might have been hacked. Several years I have been using BSNL and this never happened but after switching off to ACT it happened in couple of months. I do not have any proof to blame ACT here but now I am more careful and have started to monitor the bandwidth more diligently.

ACT just upgraded my connection for free today. FUP went up to 300GB from 250GB :D.
Have you received any communication(email or sms) from ACT regarding the same?
Or you are seeing upgraded FUP in the profile page?

If it's the later case, I also had that few months back. Instead of 50gb, the FUP was upgraded to 70gb for 2 months, but was later reverted to 50gb.

Have you received any communication(email or sms) from ACT regarding the same?
Or you are seeing upgraded FUP in the profile page?

If it's the later case, I also had that few months back. Instead of 50gb, the FUP was upgraded to 70gb for 2 months, but was later reverted to 50gb.

Got a message on the mobile saying FUP upgraded to 300GB. What you are talking about is temporary upgrade due to downtime.

Same thing is happening to me and I have recently made sure that only people with registered mac addresses can connect to the wifi. Still I suddenly see a jump in last 24 hours. And I have no reason why.

Back