is it a good time to buy a MACBOOK PRO?

sbhas2k said:
Also try in grey market and will might get 5 to 10k cheaper.. Anyway MBP has international warranty, so a bill not required.. Just check the serial number and the warranty status online before buying ;)

I bought a MBP 2 years back for 90k whereas the showroom price was 105k ;)

MBP from grey market??

MBP has international warranty,but in India you will need your hard copy of the bill in any authorized service centre(it is not like ipods where you do not need a bill).

I know you can check it with sl.no,but if you visit any authorized Apple repair centre,the first thing they will ask for is the bill or the copy of the apple care.

red dragon said:
I know you can check it with sl.no,but if you visit any authorized Apple repair centre,the first thing they will ask for is the bill or the copy of the apple care.

No.. not at all. They always use online method to check for warranty.. I got a replacement laptop for am motherboard issue.. after than even changed the screen for deadpixel... Purchased APP almost at the end of the year... No bill shown whatsoever... All online warranty check ;)

Thank you all for your valuable comments!!

I completely agree with all the replies regarding SSD. Its damn expensive now. And my main workstation is my Ubuntu desktop. This macbook is only for traveling.. Will do little bit of browsing, occasional XCODE, and PHP development.. Was just installing XAMPP - its giving me decent speed. I need a SSD for my desktop, but will get it after at-least 2-3 months, damn expensive now. Two days back my BSNL 3G unlimited plan got over, so can't update (or install Lion) :(

And yes, I could have bought this from grey market, but then, I won't be mentally satisfied and happy - even if everything is okay, something would always bug me! I donno, may be only I think like this.. But its just a matter of 5-7 thousands, paying this extra, I get a a proper bill and service from a Apple premium reseller. And 100% mental satisfaction :D

Many people compare a Mac with other same price range products by only considering hardware. Even I agree that we can get awesome configuration with this budget. But, there are a lot of things which still keeps a Mac miles ahead. Each and everything is made with so much precision - from the box to each icon in the OS - everything is given so much attention and dedication. Everything is so perfect. I think they even take care of the odor of the box and the machine !! ;)

I am so happy with the machine. I even keep looking at it even when its turned off! My girlfriend was telling I never gave this much attention to her ;)

Cheers! :hap2:

sbhas2k said:
No.. not at all. They always use online method to check for warranty.. I got a replacement laptop for am motherboard issue.. after than even changed the screen for deadpixel... Purchased APP almost at the end of the year... No bill shown whatsoever... All online warranty check ;)

My experience is exactly opposite,here in Kolkata.

BTW macs are not available in grey market.Other than the premium resellers many other shops do sell Macs for good 5-7k less and they are perfectly legitimate sellers and provide VAT paid bills.

sbhas2k said:

Please have a look, http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/apple-care-protection-plan-apple-just-197216.html

Must say you were extremely lucky!!

I have in fact confirmeded with Macintel that Apple won`t do any repair service without the hard copy of the bill.

I should say it's the mistake from the buyers end, as one needs to check the warranty status online with the MBP's serial number after purchasing APP..

My story is as below

1) Bought MBP from grey market, paid 15k less.

2) While buying itself, checked for warranty status and confirmed it has 1 year warranty

3) After 1 year, hardly a week before warranty expiry went to imagine apple store at Inorbit malad and purchased APP. Checked for warranty status and it was extended for 2 years

4) During extended warranty period, got my battery and superdrive replaced due to some problem

Note: I never shown any invoice during any service/issues/while purchasing APP with my MBP.. All done through warranty check online itself..

I still do not understand what you meant by grey market.

If you cannot show a VAT paid bill/proper copy of Apple care,no authorized Apple service centre will touch your machine(yes,even after online check..and I have confirmed it with two service centers and an experienced dealer who is dealing with Macs even before Imagine store came up,though it is not mentioned anywhere)

The o.p in that thread may or may not have bought genuine Apple care,but even if it was genuine he would have to show the papers.

P.S It is intact mentioned in the elaborate terms and conditions that they won`t honor warranties purchased outside Apple store or authorized distributors.

^ No idea dude.. Grey market i meant, Heera panna market here in Mumbai. I bought the MBP w.o any Bill and never faced any problem in servicing here in Mumbai, Also it was serviced once while under APP in Canada by my bro (who still has the lappy) w.o any invoice

Contrary to popular belief, Apple products DO NOT COME with international warranty. Some do, some dont. Macbooks are covered under a 1yr warranty in the market they are purchased in. UNLESS you buy Apple care. It is Apple care that extends this 1 yr to 3 yrs from purchase and makes it a global warranty. You do need to register Applecare against your serial number and once done it can be used to service your mac all over the world.

If an Apple certified service center is not honoring your Applecare support then you need to complain to Apple or find a different center. The reason they are asking for the bill is usually to confirm if you have bought your computer in India. If you have purchased Applecare, then this is irrelevant.

cheers.

sbhas2k said:
All Apple product comes with international warranty..

No not all of them do. iPhone doesn't. It needs to be purchased from the official retailers be it carrier locked or FU. Not sure if devices like the Airport Extreme, displays etc do but the iPad, Macbook does.

ankz said:
Contrary to popular belief, Apple products DO NOT COME with international warranty. Some do, some dont. Macbooks are covered under a 1yr warranty in the market they are purchased in. UNLESS you buy Apple care. It is Apple care that extends this 1 yr to 3 yrs from purchase and makes it a global warranty. You do need to register Applecare against your serial number and once done it can be used to service your mac all over the world.

Not true!!you do have international warranty in the first year also. Applecare simply extends it for another 2 years.

Sent from my galaxy s2 using Tapatalk pro

red dragon said:
Not true!!you do have international warranty in the first year also. Applecare simply extends it for another 2 years.
Sent from my galaxy s2 using Tapatalk pro

+1 drago is right. Warranty is covered from the first year itself, Apple Care simply extends it to 3 years.
sbhas2k said:
red dragon said:
Please have a look, http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/apple-care-protection-plan-apple-just-197216.html
Must say you were extremely lucky!!
I have in fact confirmeded with Macintel that Apple won`t do any repair service without the hard copy of the bill.

Apple service do not check for bill, its the serial number that they check and find the details of the product.
If you happen to know, then u must know that any authorized service center that does Mac repair, will have to make authorized login to GSX repair part of Apple service. In this you get details of warranty for serial no. where it has been bought from and other details. Also they get to know what part will be replaceable with what type of part, availability of part and etc.
Now they will ask for bill only if you claim that your MBP is in warranty and the GSX shows that its out of warranty. That something which the serviceman will never tell u, but he will simply ask for the hard copy of the bill, so that if the customer is true, then they can resolve the issue internally and get it resolve without customer harassment. i.e. they will make a entry for repair in GSX and send a scan copy of your bill attached to it...
Thats it! Believe me this is how Apple Service works... ;)

Back