PC Peripherals Is it adding high capacity hdd on older pc will slowndown pc?

suds

Disciple
I have a old Pentium 4 PC 2.66Ghz Intel 915GAV board,2GB RAM Transcend ,160 GB Seagate HDD. I'm currently using this pc as my HTPC with XBMC on Windows XP & fully functional hackintosh

1)I 'm planning to upgrade the hdd to 1 TB . Will it slowdown my pc/HTPC. One of the PC vendor told me it will slowdown pc please suggest?

2)Currently i'm able to play low resolution videos fine but when i play HD video. It's CPU hit to 90-100% .Is it adding entry level GPU card will solve this problem.

Any suggestions?

1. No i doubt if it will. Just keep the os partition to around 40-50 GB max and rest for your movies etc. Dont save movies or pics on OS partition though. that space the os could use as page file.

2. yes, an entry level gpu would help in taking load of playing full hd videos. You will need to setup your media player to use DXVA acceleration in its settings.

or you can still keep the 160GB hdd for OS and some movies and use 1TB as expansion drive.

You need to add an entry level graphics card for 720p videos to run smoothly.

Check whether your motherboard has an PCIE x16 slot . If yes then get a cheap low end card like HD5450 or GT430 or GT520.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

If i am not wrong working of storage drives are independent of the system config, but the BIOS must support it.

*please correct me if i am wrong*

CA50 You are correct

If your mobo supports 1 tb drives then its fine.

Actually the larger cache on that drive may make ur computer faster as it will make loading stuff from that drive faster.

I feel your machine will support the HDD, however you will have SATA I support only. To be on the safe side, see if you can borrow one of your friends HDD and check.

Back