Is LED Bulb worth the extra cost over CFL

Its not old school, they are 90% similar to what the sun puts out which is what our eyes have evolved to see.

I don't care what the tech is to put out the light but yellow is a lot less harsh than white.

I use a program called F.lux on my laptop to turn the screen more yellow after sunset from the blue-white the CFL backlight puts out. Much more relaxing.

I have doubts even CFL's live up to their name, they lose their brightness over time and are dead within a year or so. The govt never got behind them or promoted them other than in limited ways.

I was on mobile earlier so couldnt post links.
So, here are the links to some of the LEDs I had followed on Kickstarter.
LIFX http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented?ref=search
NanoLight http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rlds-most-energy-efficient-lightbu?ref=search

The LIFX one is better in my opinion. They are accepting orders on their site now. If anybody wants to buy, get them in batches so that the order gets divided costing less than Rs. 10k (to evade customs :p)

These are the Power - LEDs. They usually get really hot. 3w means after about half an hour of usage you won't be able to hold it. So with any electric device that gets hot for long duration that means less life. Add to the fact that it's Chinese make.

If you want it for some project or DIY, then it's fine. But a strict no no for use in your house.

I hope that helps

:banghead: Wasn't aware of that, I have ordered 3 more LED bulbs from Ebay to use in Bedroom and kitchen..

On the page, it is mentioned that life span will be < 20000 hours

I hope it is better than CFL..

:banghead: Wasn't aware of that, I have ordered 3 more LED bulbs from Ebay to use in Bedroom and kitchen..

On the page, it is mentioned that life span will be < 20000 hours

I hope it is better than CFL..

Generally to avoid the heating issues heatsinks are used. But with those prices, it's tough to say if they have it or not.

I hope it turns out to be good. Do post here after you get them.

Bumping an old thread.

Is anyone using LED bulbs at home..? Have the prices tapered off. How is the light, which they emit..? Which are good recommended home spots to use these types of fixtures..?

I had installed spot-light type philips LED Lights in my room :)

They are extremely cool, and don't make the environment hot like cfl's. Also the light are alot soothing to eyes in comparison to CFL or T5

I had installed spot-light type philips LED Lights in my room :)

They are extremely cool, and don't make the environment hot like cfl's. Also the light are alot soothing to eyes in comparison to CFL or T5

Thanks...!

What is the price range. And what type should be used to replace a 100W normal bulb.

I have Philips 4w led replacing a 11w cfl/60w incandescent bulb cost is really high rs450/- per piece but it cannot be used for large space like hall. Not comfortable for reading and writing.

Thanks...!

What is the price range. And what type should be used to replace a 100W normal bulb.

Its not replacement, you should measure how much lumens is needed.

If its living room, 10 lumens per sqft approx, bedroom 7-8 lumens like that.

Philips spot light led, the one i bought is 7w fire-rated one, and it gives 280 lumen output @ 2700k and 40degree beam, and its life is 40000 hours :D :D

Got it for 4200 per piece

Its not replacement, you should measure how much lumens is needed.

If its living room, 10 lumens per sqft approx, bedroom 7-8 lumens like that.

Philips spot light led, the one i bought is 7w fire-rated one, and it gives 280 lumen output @ 2700k and 40degree beam, and its life is 40000 hours :D :D

Got it for 4200 per piece

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the inputs..!

I have a OSRAM 9watt Classic LED ,it puts about the same amount of light as a 23 to 25watt CFL.Its costs MRP 750 but got it for Rs600 and comes with 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
Its 650 lumens but with the LED the room is visually brighter then a 25watt CFL advertised at 1400 lumens.The CFL wastes a lot of lumens due to its ring design which blocks certain amount of light.The CFL also looses its brightness where rapidly as they age in usage.

Actually the 1400 lumen value is what they are able to measure from a finished product; so any losses due to the ring design are already accounted for. What you're talking about sounds more like the narrow beam angle of LEDs being more focussed and thereby appearing brighter vs the diffuse lighting of phosphor based lighting.
cCZod9x.jpg

Each one will be suitable for relevant applications, although even the Philips' L Prize LED had phosphor panels over the LEDs to diffuse the lighting.

Back