PC Peripherals Is my 667 MHZ RAM running at 333 MHZ?

Hi,

I have 1 GB Transcend DDR2 667 MHZ running on Intel DG965RY motherboard with Intel E 4500 2.2 GHZ. I have used CPU Z from CPUid.com to identify my specs recently and it was showing my RAM frequency as 333 MHZ. Does that mean RAM is running at 333 MHZ? If yes, then how to fix it coz I have checked both the motherboard and CPU can support upto 800 MHZ.

Thanks

@OP: if you put another 1 GB chip, then motherboard will run ram in dual channel and you can take advantage of full 667 mhz .

rapt0r said:
@OP: if you put another 1 GB chip, then motherboard will run ram in dual channel and you can take advantage of full 667 mhz .

its not like u get double the clock speed in dual channel.

dual channel is just gonna increase the bus width...i.e. 128bit rather than 64bit in single channel.

Memory Frequency will be 667MHz for those 667MHz sticks doesnt matter if u use them in single channel or double channel.

DRAM Frequency is what CPU-z display.

Memory Frequency for DDR = 2x DRAM Frequency.

DDR = Double Data Rate.

DRAM frequency is the base clock frequency...n data is transfered at both raising and falling Edges of the clock pulse in DDR (Type of SDRAM)...hence the effective Memory Frequency is Double the DRAM Frequency.

@raptor & @madnav

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am planning to add more memory. I was thinking of adding a 2 GB 667 MHZ stick. Is it advisable or will it cause any issues?

Regards

ravinderaoulakh said:
@raptor & @madnav

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am planning to add more memory. I was thinking of adding a 2 GB 667 MHZ stick. Is it advisable or will it cause any issues?

Regards
try getting 2GB 800mhz stick....Your board supports it..also max supported memory by your board is 8GB...

^^
But in that case i need to throw away my current 1 GB 667 MHZ RAM so that I can use 800 MHZ RAM because I think we cannot mix different frequencies :huh:

Which one will be better 3 GB 667 MHZ or 2 GB 800 MHZ?

Thanks to all for replies.

ravinderaoulakh said:
^^

But in that case i need to throw away my current 1 GB 667 MHZ RAM so that I can use 800 MHZ RAM because I think we cannot mix different frequencies :huh:

Which one will be better 3 GB 667 MHZ or 2 GB 800 MHZ?

Thanks to all for replies.

If you use both RAM's then it will operate @ the frequency of lower RAM .

So if you use 1 stick of 667Mz and 1 of 800 Mhz .. both will work @ 667 :)

I say get a 2gb 800 Mhz stick for now .. and get another later on .

Back