CPU/Mobo is my E7300 Stock heatsink screwed?

vercetti

Skilled
So guys, around 3 weeks ago my PC stopped working. In my bid to find out what went wrond I took everything apart and started putting them back again one by one (later on I realized that it was my GPU which was the culprit).

Problem:

I had taken out (with great difficulty) the stock heatsink for my E7300 to clean the dust. What I was not aware was the agony I would have to go through to put it back:mad::mad:

With lot of effort I managed to put the HSF back in. But I think, now one of the screws is jammed and the next time I open it I amy not be able to fit it again.

Issue:

I got a 5850 initially. When I first plugged in the card and started the PC, it shut down in 5-10 mins. I later realized that the CPU core temps were rising to 80 degrees.

I then fitted the HSF properly and now I get around 65-70 degrees (maybe more) on stock, (no overclock).. Is this Normal? I think since the Thermal paste has worn out heat is not spreading properly to the heat sink

Question:

Do I need to go for a custom HSF? if so how much would it set me back by?

I usually do not overclock much, just do it while playing games (to say 3.5 Ghz)

Also, I would like to have a HSF which I can use later on also when I upgrade to i5 or i7 processor:)

Just an answer to your question section :)

IMO you should get CM Hyper 212 plus at ~1.9K only if you are planning to take your incoming i5 or i7 above 4ghz and below 4.5ghz. Or else stock coolers on i5 and i7 are also good enough to handle those at 4ghz. High end coolers like the Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Venomous-X, Prolimatech megahalem will be perfect but will cost you ~3.5K or above

For your issue:

Well E7300 should be around 50-55 on stock, try applying a thin layer of TP evenly on its surface and reseat your stock heatsink firmly on it.

^^Thanks mate. I would probably upgrade to i5 or i7 after 6 months:)

do u think CM hyper 212 is a good buy considering usage only for the E7300?

Also, is it easy to install or I need to catch hold of a Pro to do it for me?

lastly, Do I need to buy thermal paste along with the cooler????

Who knows, after 6 months even new and better coolers in budget would be out in market. So IMO no need to spend on a cooler for e7300. Just try reseating your stock heatsink firmly with some 200rs/- Tuniq TX2 paste or go for CM Hyper 212 plus ~1.9K only if theres a problem in fitting your stock heatsink

Thermal paste comes bundled with coolers , so no need to buy separate paste if going for new cooler

PS: Installation is easy :) You can do it yourself

The only good thermal compound from Coolermaster is Cooler Master IceFusion Thermal Compound Paste . Other good Thermal compounds are TuniX TX-2 and Arctic Cooling MX-2 . CM Hyper 212 plus fits your bill perfectly and it even comes with a bit of TIM.

I advice you to stop using your PC for the time being as high temperatures may drastically reduce the life of your processor.

Dude...the stock HSF has been lame from the Wolfdale days...

Nevertheless , a properly applied TIM and the stck cooler alwasys sees C2D`s idling around the 32-42 bracket in summers
The lowest being an e7400 and the highest for a e8400.

So ur temps are definitely way higher.....

Coming on the aftermarket third party coolers, since ur not going to overclock, why not use Cooler Masters cheaper cousin-the simple 775 socket cooler.Its damn cheap(300 bucks) and does the job well. Its quite bigger than the stock HSF also as it also targets to cool the older hotter prescotts.
I mean the other cooler suggested is defo a damn ood cooler..But then would you be needing it, and that too for a C2D?

Recently i had purchased a conroe C2D 1.86(65nm against the wolfdale`s 45) and i needed a cooler.
Got the CM generic cooler and fitted it..Idle temps were always hovering around 30-32.(Its a bit cooler now)

And yes there is a small satchet of Tim with tehh cooler for a one time use...As again, when applying TIM dont make too fat a layer.A tim`s job is to fill in the microscopic gaps between ethe HSF and the cpu surface and not to act as a big fat mushy squishy insulator :)

no can't do....:) Touched my PC after 4 friggin months so m quite desperate to play games on PC:_)

m lazy to go to the market and waste half my day so planning to order this online itself.

I have anyways switeched on my PC for 2 weeks in this condition another 4 days will not make a difference:)

^^ lolz... but i wudnt want you to stretch your luck that haaard. I mean even lady luck has a tearing point of her skirt ..IF ur tugging that hard for the 2weeks + 4 days..u better pray it denim :p

On side note, if ur hell bent on cooking it..try to ensure some of the following:

1. If ur comfy with OCing---downclock it..If not ensure the Intel SpeedStep is on
2. Make sure u aint clogging the space around the cooler.

Finally got the CM Hyper 212 plus today and installed it. Took me more than 1.5 hrs. Its the first time in my life I have removed the mobo from my cabinet.

Now I observe that on startup (at stock speed of 2.66Ghz) my temp is as follows : CPU: 24 CPU Core 1: 44 CPU Core2: 44 Is this normal during start up?:(

Also, when I over clock to 3.6Ghz, I get the same start up temps

When I played NFS Run for 8-10 mins on maxxed out setting the temp (Core 1 and Core 2) jumped to 50 degrees but jumped to 44-45 as soon as I shut the game down. Is this normal?

I am kinda sure that I have applied Thermal paste properly; I read that we should not apply excessive paste so I limited the thermal paste and also spread it around the entire area. Hope this is ok

UPDATE: Just checked again now. When overclocked to 3.61 the temp (Core 1 and 2) rises to 51 degrees
:mad::(:(

hmm those are pretty high temps for a aftermarket cooler coz, even i am on a stock cooler and my idle temps are 33 deg and full load temp are 40-42 max...as per my knowledge the thermal paste spreads automatically with the pressure of heatsink so you only have to apply a bit in the centre of cpu...reseat the heatsink again..

^^Thanks man...will do.

I did a overclock yesterday to 3.4 GHZ and applied 100% load for 6-7 minutes. The max temp reached was 58 degrees. Do u reckon the heatsink is not fitted properly? As.... if it was not fitted properly then the temps would have crossed 70 degrees; isn't it?

even though 58 deg is well within the safe zone but still it is quite high for a aftermarket cooler and since you have applied fresh thermal paste....seriously when i tried to fit the stock cooler for the first time by myself it was kind of mission impossbl for me, bt after a lot of trial and error i was able to fit that... placing the heatsink is easy but sometimes it doesnt fit perfectly even though it may appear to be...i still think you should try to reseat the heatsink

If it is push - pin, you should hear a lock (kataak) when each pin is secured fine. Also it should not budge if you try to shake it.

Its not exactly a push pin. But there is a pin which goes on top of the heat sink. I triple checked and made sure that the heat sink is securely locked and assembled properly.

asingh said:
If it is push - pin, you should hear a lock (kataak) when each pin is secured fine. Also it should not budge if you try to shake it.

Back