Storage Solutions Is my HDD dying......

Apocalyp5e

The End is Nigh
Disciple
so guys its like this i am having a very bad boot up time although my rig isn't bad so i thought about testing my HDD after looking the SMART report i found something that is alarming..

here is the report

hdreport.jpg

Do i need to change my hardisk or is it okey another note that the HDD temperature goes upto 50 :((

HDD temp @ 50C is definitely high... Is your cabinet well ventilated. there should be optimum airflow. There are no bad sectors & HDD heating could only be attributed to improper cooling...

You have a 7200.11 HDD which was notorious to get hot. I suggest you install a fan in front of the cabby so that it blows air on HDD. if there is no option to install the fan then you need to get a new cabby..

Windows tend to slow down over time. You may need to reinstall it....

My bad for not giving enough info

well bro i am using CM690 which is having enough space and its having a fan in front of Hard disk.

Added info in siggy

Download HDtune or HDTach & then test the HDD.. Alternatively download Ontrack Easy Recovery 6. It has some HDD Tools to check the HDD's... 50C for 7200.11 on a CM 690 is definitely high...

I will keep posting the other info as i already bench-marked them with HD tune got a few other utils for testing and benchmarking.

Do i need a firmware upgrade for my HDD.

If i am going for it will it delete all of my data ?

can upgrading firmware brick my HDD (LOL it looks like the old bricks isnt it :p)?

Hi is the checking means surface check or is it benchmarks ?

here is a bit of info for HDD taken from HD-Tune as for the surface test i will do it later cuz it will take a lot of time.

You can see the HDD temp is 48C all the time :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benchmark

HD-Tune_Benchmark.jpg

Info

HD-Tune_info.jpg

Health

HD-Tune_health.jpg

Your HDD looks fine. See about the fan if its (blowing air from front) working properly or not. stock CM 690 fans struggle to provide enough volume of air.

One more thing, is this the only HDD you have & are you using it as primary boot.. (it looks like it from the info)...

If that is the case then it could be the constant read write which is keeping the temp up. with my 7200.11 earlier, temp was always ~45-46 C when used as primary so you are not far from there...

Not really able to see the attachment with the log.
Nevertheless, I'm sure you would have verified it, but just wanted to check if the drive is running in UDMA mode.
The boot time and performance can suddenly drop if the drive somehow shifts to PIO mode.

Back