Video Is my TV dying?

nsas02

Disciple
I see a white line on top of my TV near the panel. It's not a static line. It's like it's mimicking some part of the screen. TV is Hisense, 3+ years old.
I'm afraid my TV is dying. Am I correct? If yes, is it worth repairing it? I mean, I purchased it for 33k, I don't want to spend more than 7-8k on this.

Pls check the top horizontal line on the TV screen.

Attachments

• 20240327_230230.jpg
    20240327_230230.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 67
Nowadays if any brand TV last more than 3 years then it is already good enough. The days of TVs lasting more than 4-5 years are long gone.
I'm waiting for my 2013 Samsung to die because I want to buy a 4k OLED but it just refuses to die. Is this really true? If yes then I'll cancel my plan to splurge on an OLED and get something cheap instead.

Horizontal line is usually a result of panel COF binding issues due to heat or failures due to high voltages.

I had a single horizontal line after 2 years of use on my Motorola 4K TV. With time it kept increasing to 2, 3, 5, and then some flickering horizontal lines. It was getting bad.
I did some research and turns out most TV panel repairs are scam, they charge you a bomb depending on screen size and don't do proper COF binding so I didn't risk my TV with them. Did more research and there was an easy workaround for this (not a fix).

He explains it so well any kid could do it if they have patience and will. After fixing my issue with this method I immediately hooked up my TV to a voltage regulating UPS. Anytime voltage is above 255V it bucks it down to 230V.
I know we have been having voltage spikes upto 285V so highly likely they damaged the panel controller or something. But it's been 1+ year since the fix and no more lines.

BTW this may or may not fix your issue, just sharing my first hand experience if anyone could benefit from it.

PS: If anyone reading this have vertical lines then this won't work for you as that's caused by a different reason.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for my 2013 Samsung to die because I want to buy a 4k OLED but it just refuses to die. Is this really true? If yes then I'll cancel my plan to splurge on an OLED and get something cheap instead.
Electronics products made before 2014-15 used to have much better build quality as per many. You should still get an OLED though even if for 3 years as it is worth it, just don't spend more than 70-80k on it.

After fixing my issue with this method I immediately hooked up my TV to a voltage regulating UPS. Anytime voltage is above 255V it bucks it down to 230V.
I know we have been having voltage spikes upto 285V so highly likely they damaged the panel controller or something. But it's been 1+ year since the fix and no more lines.
So that's the reason. Electronics like to operate in spec, once the volts go high they get damaged.

I remember this problem with a Toshiba laptop I had in the 90s. The white lines started about five years in and progressively got worse. I had moved on to think pads so I just binned it and moved on.

Horizontal line is usually a result of panel COF binding issues due to heat or failures due to high voltages.

I had a single horizontal line after 2 years of use on my Motorola 4K TV. With time it kept increasing to 2, 3, 5, and then some flickering horizontal lines. It was getting bad.
I did some research and turns out most TV panel repairs are scam, they charge you a bomb depending on screen size and don't do proper COF binding so I didn't risk my TV with them. Did more research and there was an easy workaround for this (not a fix).

He explains it so well any kid could do it if they have patience and will. After fixing my issue with this method I immediately hooked up my TV to a voltage regulating UPS. Anytime voltage is above 255V it bucks it down to 230V.

BTW this may or may not fix your issue, just sharing my first hand experience if anyone could benefit from it.

PS: If anyone reading this have vertical lines then this won't work for you as that's caused by a different reason.
So how long do I have before my TV completely dies? Any idea?

So how long do I have before my TV completely dies? Any idea?
Absolutely no idea. Get a UPS immediately as a cautionary measure.
I'm using a Microtek Legend 650 but any cheap UPS with Automatic voltage regulation feature should work.
I should mention that this would just prevent one vector of damage. There's no guarantee that it will work for you but at least the device will be ensured to get proper input voltage.

So that's the reason. Electronics like to operate in spec, once the volts go high they get damaged.
Absolutely! Operating outside spec is just random luck. If the device has good quality components they have higher tolerances (one would hope for) but if not then it's just a matter of time until it conks out.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Operating outside spec is just random luck. If the device has good quality components they have higher tolerances (one would hope for) but if not then it's just a matter of time until it conks out.
These higher tolerances you will find only with appliances because they have built in stabilisers. That too only the ones customised for an Indian environment.

General electronics won't have any such protection because it adds to cost.

These higher tolerances you will find only with appliances because they have built in stabilisers. That too only the ones customised for an Indian environment.

General electronics won't have any such protection because it adds to cost.
Quality components also matter.
You must have heard difference between a Chinese capacitor and Japanese capacitor.
Likewise other components are also made keeping tolerances in mind but a cheap manufacturer that cuts corners would probably not.

Back