Is plugging a surge protector into a UPS too risky?

I have used a UPS on an inverter line. I have used this UPS to connect to a desktop system. Is it safe for the UPS since it is on an inverter line. Earlier I had used the desktop system in the inverter line itself but due to fluctuation the system used to reboot once in a while. I have connected the UPS now to the inverter line and the system does not reboot now when there is fluctuation but not sure if it is safe to connect the UPS to inverter line and will that drain out the battery in the UPS soon.
Well the thing I know about Inverter to UPS is that the UPS will work fine if the Inverter is pure sine wave. If its not, then the UPS will think that the power supplied is bad for the electrical devices connected to it and will switch to the backup battery to protect them.

If the inverter is pure sine wave and you're just using the UPS as a middle man to handle the voltage fluctuations then you should be totally fine.

But then why are you worried about the battery life of the UPS when you're already using the inverter for the backup whenever electricity gets cut off?? The UPS will most likely never even switch to its backup batteries as the inverter will provide it continuous power during power cuts

Well the thing I know about Inverter to UPS is that the UPS will work fine if the Inverter is pure sine wave. If its not, then the UPS will think that the power supplied is bad for the electrical devices connected to it and will switch to the backup battery to protect them.

If the inverter is pure sine wave and you're just using the UPS as a middle man to handle the voltage fluctuations then you should be totally fine.

But then why are you worried about the battery life of the UPS when you're already using the inverter for the backup whenever electricity gets cut off?? The UPS will most likely never even switch to its backup batteries as the inverter will provide it continuous power during power cuts
Yes, It is a sine wave inverter. During a recent servicing of inverter the technician told that connecting the UPS to inverter line will take away the battery life of UPS when ever there is a power cut as the inverter will use the UPS battery also for backup. It sounds crazy but not sure if there is any logic to it.

So what are my options here? Will it really not be okay if I plug in the surge protector to the UPS outlet even if it only has a router and speakers attached to it? Or should I have just bought a more expensive UPS with more outlets?
The page mentions that its okay to use Power Distribution Units with the UPS instead but I'm not sure what they are and on google they look like something that should be fitted into or mounted on walls. I have used cheaper (150-200rs) off-brand "surge protectors" before just to plug in multiple devices but they killed my modem adapter twice.

I have used a surge protector on my APC UPS BR1500G for a long time then removed it. The UPS worked fine without any issues. To this UPS I actually had my complete study table connections, which included routers, computers, printer and a spare power outlet. All these outlets were guarded by additional MCBs. Sometimes I tried to do some DIY stuff, I would plug into the spare outlet and it if there was a short circuit, the cartridge fuse on the surge protector went off first even before the MCB (due to smaller ampere rating I'd assume). Now my connection is UPS -> MCB -> Outlet. Yes, in both cases, the UPS stayed fine no issues. IMHO APC wants you to get a bigger UPS or their Surge strips I'd think. But it is quite noticeable that APC battery quality has degraded a lot in recent years.

O
Yes, It is a sine wave inverter. During a recent servicing of inverter the technician told that connecting the UPS to inverter line will take away the battery life of UPS when ever there is a power cut as the inverter will use the UPS battery also for backup. It sounds crazy but not sure if there is any logic to it.
Ohh. Well....I have never heard about this before. I tried to process this in my brain for a while but I just dont know how it can happen. Like how can the UPS send power from its own batteries to the inverter?!! Its not like a usb cable where the data can go back and forth. The only things the UPS should be powering are the ones that are plugged INTO the outlets on the UPS itself.

But since a technician has said this and I'm NOT a technician, it has got me thinking too. So I'll let someone else answer your question.

What currently available brand(s) of UPS at the low end has good batteries?

Hmm, good question. Personally the local ones like iBall, Intex etc. I try to avoid they bust down pretty fast. The APC's inverter circuit at least is very robust. If have the chance after first failure after warranty I'd try to get Exide battery.
Currently, the one I have BRG1500, is also in it's last days. After this I'm gonna use a sine inverter with a smaller 100 Ah battery.

Hmm, so i think I'll stick with APC and maybe get a better battery after the first one fails.

My requirement is just a couple minutes backup till the building generator kicks in. But for longer backup a sine wave inverter with a bigger battery makes more sense and costs peanuts in comparison too.

Back