Is the Iphone 3GS price Justified???

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
^ I dunno what to say when people post such vague comments . I am using a second hand Iphone 2G and its most probably more than 2-2.5 years old .I have myself dropped it a dozen times and it's still going strong .

Other than that I haven't seen any " XYZ " phone which can be termed as an Iphone killer . no matter what people say ,Iphone is one of the best multimedia and fun phone Ive ever used thanks to the 1000s of applications available and the amazing things you can do with it ,I personally love the phone and can't think of anything else that can replace it in my case.

Coming to the point , if the price is justified ,I would agree that paying a 40-45 k premium is a bit on the higher side for the 3GS . Somewhere around 28-32k is a sweet spot.

PS: Before owning a iphone , I was a iphone critic too and used to believe that apple charges a premium for a dumb phone . But once I got hooked to it ,my belief changed.Nothing really(maybe a few exceptions I haven't tried :p) can match up to the super smooth UI ,ease of use and amazing games.

tejo

Disciple
Jun 18, 2006
desiibond said:
@spawnfreak, iphone 3G is pretty inferor phone. there are much better phones availalbe like

1) Samsung Omnia HD
2) HTC Touch Pro
3) Nokia N97 mini and N97
4) HTC Magic

also, nokia n900 and motorola droid are one hell of phones.

just check the phones available at other vendors before going for iphone 3G. 3GS is a different story. lot of better features like better camera, faster processor.

with an iphone the bling stays, with phones like the ones u mentioned above, the bling goes after time... like if u buy a n97 now, after 3 months a n107 might be out :p and u'll have some old phone in your hands.. but an iphone is an iphone !!

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
My white iPhone 3G crack
Latest iPhone 3G problem: dusty screens | iLounge News
iPhone 3G yellow screens explained | iLounge News
Dust under the iPhone 3G’s screen? Oh no! | iPhonefreak
My white iPhone 3G crack
Hey iPhone 3G, your crack is showing!
3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing - Mac Forums
@pat, I am not here to pick up a fight with you. These links justify what I say.

yellow tinge in display
weak shell
dust entering the inside of display

Given the price of the iphone 3G, these things are really awkward.

It's better to spend extra and buy iphone 3GS than to go for inferior iphone 3G. And it's even better to for other phones I mentioned earlier.

Whether you like it or not, whether you feel offensed or not, it's a fact that iphone 3G is the "odd one out" in terms of apples h/w build quality. Period!!

tejo said:
with an iphone the bling stays, with phones like the ones u mentioned above, the bling goes after time... like if u buy a n97 now, after 3 months a n107 might be out :p and u'll have some old phone in your hands.. but an iphone is an iphone !!
What I am trying to say is to either go for iphone 3GS and forget about the price tag or go for the HTC/samsung phones. iPhone 3G is not a good model when you can get a much much better phone(s) for 5k extra or for similar price.

tejo

Disciple
Jun 18, 2006
desiibond said:
What I am trying to say is to either go for iphone 3GS and forget about the price tag or go for the HTC/samsung phones. iPhone 3G is not a good model when you can get a much much better phone(s) for 5k extra or for similar price.

Those much better phones get older faster compared to the iphone, many of my friends have phones by nokia n all, they keep switching their phone every few months, cause the feel it has become old and outdated (people get a n80, then feel n95 is better and get that thinking n80 is crap now| then n97 comes out and n95 feels old and crappy... so they get the n97 and so on....) with the iphone the case is not like that... m just saying :p

goodakash

Disciple
May 8, 2009
The only thing that I like in iphone is its multi touch screen. If you want a show off phone, iphone is definately for you. I guess the new iphone has 3.2mp cam also. I am using 5800XM BTW and love it.

Zero Cool

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
Gurgaon
www.vimeo.com
Dude i own a 5800xm...and I am really happy with it.....but neither this nor any other phone comes close to iphone. iPhone has an EXCELLENT built quality. its has a solid feel you get from german cars. the multitouch experience is unlike any other. The led screen is great to view outdoors compared to other touch screens. not to mention it has an awesome app store. the gaming on iphone is best amongst mobile phones. above all it is a fully functional ipod.... expect great audio quality. above all if you got the dough......buy an iphone3gs

*Raj*

Adept
Oct 12, 2007
Omnia II at 23.5k (8GB) is much more powerful than any mobile whether iphone or N97. Iphone takes substantial lead only in touch senstivity which matters only in game. If you are game lover, such premium for iphone may perhaps be justified otherwise not. This is my personal perception after using these 3 phones

tvarad

Disciple
Jul 13, 2008
sathyanaidu said:

LOL, I own a 16GB 3G and I'm certainly not delusional (well, not about my Iphone anyway)! And I'm not even an Apple fanboy (never owned any other Apple product).

I've owned a dozen or so phones over the years and this is the only one that simply goes into the background when executing the job, be it a simple phone call or firing up music or running a well-written app. It's like the caddy who just gives you the right iron for the shot at hand and fades into the background. Other phone makers just haven't got that part right, which is why the Iphone is such a hit.

krates

Disciple
Jul 11, 2008
Lucknow
www.imkushagra.com
FaH33m said:
^ I dunno what to say when people post such vague comments . I am using a second hand Iphone 2G and its most probably more than 2-2.5 years old .I have myself dropped it a dozen times and it's still going strong .
Other than that I haven't seen any " XYZ " phone which can be termed as an Iphone killer . no matter what people say ,Iphone is one of the best multimedia and fun phone Ive ever used thanks to the 1000s of applications available and the amazing things you can do with it ,I personally love the phone and can't think of anything else that can replace it in my case.
Coming to the point , if the price is justified ,I would agree that paying a 40-45 k premium is a bit on the higher side for the 3GS . Somewhere around 28-32k is a sweet spot.

PS: Before owning a iphone , I was a iphone critic too and used to believe that apple charges a premium for a dumb phone . But once I got hooked to it ,my belief changed.Nothing really(maybe a few exceptions I haven't tried :p) can match up to the super smooth UI ,ease of use and amazing games.

EXACTLY MY WORDS

Jailbroken iphone 3gs is the best phone in the world...

I have an iphone 3g and my friend has omnia HD whenever he took his phone out and I took my phone out no one shows great interest to use his...

In omnia HD install some games :rofl: they run slowly :rofl: want a video proof? I can show 10 symbian games which stuck in the phone :eek:hyeah: and in case of iphone THE BEST GAMING PHONE EVER The best music and the great display.. outperforms the omnia HD in every sense except the CAMERA and I am saying this because it has Symbian it looks too bad for a classy phone....

If you say iphone sucks then I am 100% sure you haven't used iphone and using someone phone for 5 mins and owning it Is completely different thing..

Iphone is a complete geeky phone if you want to get the maximum out of the phone..

what I noticed in iphone is they have put the hardware which is necessary for the phone and not the hardware which goes completely useless..

the accelerometer of the phone is damn cool just check out NFS underground for iphone videos and you will come to know... the fps games and Gangstar hustle game for iphone are games which you can't get for any other phone....

The touch is far more superior than any phone I have used till now

I am an iphone fanboy ... When you own it then you will know about it..

I also used to post crap comments about iphone but after using it I abused myself 10times lol :rofl:

2FAST4U

Disciple
Nov 24, 2009
iphone is the number 1 rated cell phone, apple uses that to there advantages and puts the prices really high

desiibond

Skilled
Jan 19, 2009
krates said:
EXACTLY MY WORDS

I have an iphone 3g and my friend has omnia HD whenever he took his phone out and I took my phone out no one shows great interest to use his...

In omnia HD install some games :rofl: they run slowly :rofl: want a video proof? I can show 10 symbian games which stuck in the phone :eek:hyeah: and in case of iphone THE BEST GAMING PHONE EVER The best music and the great display.. outperforms the omnia HD in every sense except the CAMERA and I am saying this because it has Symbian it looks too bad for a classy phone....

If you say iphone sucks then I am 100% sure you haven't used iphone and using someone phone for 5 mins and owning it Is completely different thing..

Iphone is a complete geeky phone if you want to get the maximum out of the phone..

what I noticed in iphone is they have put the hardware which is necessary for the phone and not the hardware which goes completely useless..

the accelerometer of the phone is damn cool just check out NFS underground for iphone videos and you will come to know... the fps games and Gangstar hustle game for iphone are games which you can't get for any other phone....

The touch is far more superior than any phone I have used till now

I am an iphone fanboy ... When you own it then you will know about it..

I also used to post crap comments about iphone but after using it I abused myself 10times lol :rofl:
Dude. I do agree that iphone 3GS is a superb phone but my concern was with a user thinking of getting iphone 3G coz 3GS was out of his budget. iphone 3G is nowhere near to 3GS in terms of functionality or quality.

When you compare 3GS with other competitors, it has slight advantage as most of the competitors are pricing their's at similar price but not iphone 3G.

prediff

Disciple
Nov 2, 2008
desiibond said:
benz and maruti is totally different.
how exactly? Aren't both cars? One is a premium product and the other isnt viz my point.

tejo said:
Those much better phones get older faster compared to the iphone, many of my friends have phones by nokia n all, they keep switching their phone every few months, cause the feel it has become old and outdated (people get a n80, then feel n95 is better and get that thinking n80 is crap now| then n97 comes out and n95 feels old and crappy... so they get the n97 and so on....) with the iphone the case is not like that... m just saying :p
So you mean to say that the iphone is the same as the iphone 3g is the same as the iphone 3gs? I think the Apple marketing dept. would not like to hear that at all :)

krates said:
EXACTLY MY WORDS

I am an iphone fanboy......
I wish you had started with that, wouldnt have bothered reading ahead. :)

2FAST4U said:
iphone is the number 1 rated cell phone, apple uses that to there advantages and puts the prices really high
Actually so does every other company in the world. And apple is well known to price their products as premium even when they werent exactly popular or with high %age of usage. Feel free to check the cost of a apple OS X macbook and you'll notice a pattern.. Apple just does not do cheap.

Moral of the story, if you have the money and like the iphone, buy the 3gs, if you dont for either, shop around for something else which you like and have the budget for.

tvarad

Disciple
Jul 13, 2008
desiibond said:
Dude. I do agree that iphone 3GS is a superb phone but my concern was with a user thinking of getting iphone 3G coz 3GS was out of his budget. iphone 3G is nowhere near to 3GS in terms of functionality or quality.

When you compare 3GS with other competitors, it has slight advantage as most of the competitors are pricing their's at similar price but not iphone 3G.

I've had my Iphone 3G for over a year now and have had zero problems with it, so people complaining about it's quality is perplexing to me. If 10 out of 1000 users have problems and post their experiences, it would look like the Iphone is problematic whereas in reality the vast majority are happy with their phones.

I looked at upgrading to a 3GS and, frankly, the incremental hardware upgrade was just not worth it for me. I am waiting for the next generation.

tejo

Disciple
Jun 18, 2006
prediff said:
So you mean to say that the iphone is the same as the iphone 3g is the same as the iphone 3gs? I think the Apple marketing dept. would not like to hear that at all :)

They all look somewhat the same dont they :p , i mean to say if u want the phone for bling, the phone's looks dont get old as quickly as compared to other phones... U see a 2g iphone on the streets, you cant make out if its a 2g,3g,3gs.... untill u see it upclose (almost every1 has some or other sort of cover on their phone...) all u see is an iphone...

back to the topic, the phone would be worth the money.. if you dont think it is then dont buy it, simple.

krates

Disciple
Jul 11, 2008
Lucknow
www.imkushagra.com
desiibond said:

Totally agreed :D

prediff said:
I wish you had started with that, wouldnt have bothered reading ahead. :)

What makes one a fanboy of a product is the features,performance,style and other factors.. sorry to say no other company has the same style uniqueness like apple and that makes me a fanboy of them our opinions might differ but the product is absolutely one of the best phone ever..

prediff

Disciple
Nov 2, 2008
krates said:
Totally agreed :D

What makes one a fanboy of a product is the features,performance,style and other factors.. sorry to say no other company has the same style uniqueness like apple and that makes me a fanboy of them our opinions might differ but the product is absolutely one of the best phone ever..

Just so that you are in tune with what the general definition of an fanboy is
Fanboy is a term originating in the United States, used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field.
No doubt the phone has been a fantastic hit and has revolutionized how fluid the UI of phone should be, but please hold your horses on calling it the best phone ever.

I would say that if you want *just* a phone probably the Nokia 1100 is completly unique for the style of battery life and build quality uniqueness and of course like you say our opinions might differ but the product is absolutely one of the best phones ever. :D

I would say any other phone company which has a propritery OS has a same style uniqueness which the iphone has, the same which happened when the moto razr was released and half the world drooled, and the rest was wondering what the big deal was.

Please dont take it personally when i say this, but a fanboy is the most annoying thing in a discussion, they tend to cloud out the important parts and cover the flaws viz reason of my earlier comment