Android Is there any way to block Ads in Android systemwide ?

I am currently using a Pixel 4a. It's running the latest stock build. No fancy stuffs.

And for browser i use default CHROME , but the in browser ads are annoying. Is there any way to block the annoying ads system wide, without rooting the system. Or should I simply change the browser.

I am using OPERA in windows 11 and happy with its as blocking, somehow I also see very rare ads on windows (like once in 15 videos). Looking for similar thing on Android.

Even ready to buy some software if required (but it has to be one time purchase only). I don't want a subscription based software.

Adguard Premium FTW if you want a simple, no nonsense setup that does everything behind the scenes across multiple devices. It blocks all ads across the system including the in-app banners/pop ups etc.

If you have the time & patience then you can try local adblock setup like a Pi-hole using a Raspberry pi.

Screenshot_20220604-114705_AdGuard.jpg

2 options
signup on DNS Adguard or NextDNS and add DoH or DoT address in private DNS setting
or
use apps like told above but also checkout DNS66 app which does Adblocking with blocklists avaible on internet like OISD + you can add your own DNS servers of Adguard or NextDNS . You can enable no apps to bypass so no Ads anywhere

2 options
signup on DNS Adguard or NextDNS and add DoH or DoT address in private DNS setting.
I have dns.adguard.com added under Private DNS on my phone. Is it the same thing you speak of? It blocks most ads just fine, but on this particular website I've found that it's very slow, the browsing speed.

@sriharsha_m How much are you paying for Adguard Premium?

I have dns.adguard.com added under Private DNS on my phone. Is it the same thing you speak of? It blocks most ads just fine, but on this particular website I've found that it's very slow, the browsing speed.

@sriharsha_m How much are you paying for Adguard Premium?
dns.adguard.com is generic DNS , signup then you get your own DNS address where you have custimised blocklists or allowlist in both .
NextDNS - xxxxxx.dns.nextdns.io , iphone-xxxxxx.dns.nextdns.io , samsung-xxxxxx.dns.nextdns.io
Adguard - tls://xxxxxxx.d.adguard-dns.com , tls://yyyyyy.d.adguard-dns.com

To check which protocol is being used - https://test.nextdns.io/
unencrypted , encrypted , iPV4 or iPV6 , DoH , DoT , DoQ

it shows like this
{
"status": "ok",
"protocol": "DOH",
"profile": "xxxxxxxxxxxx",
"client": "11x.xx.1xx.xx",
"srcIP": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"destIP": "45.90.28.0",
"anycast": true,
"server": "anexia-dxb-1",
"clientName": "dnscrypt",
"deviceName": "names",
"deviceID": "XXXMO"
}

But also checkout DNS66 app which does Adblocking with blocklists avaible on internet like OISD + you can add your own DNS servers of Adguard or NextDNS . You can enable no apps to bypass so no Ads anywhere
+1 for DNS66. I've been using it since last 2 years. Works great. You can even whitelist any specific url if you want. Haven't noticed any impact on battery backup too.

+1 for DNS66. I've been using it since last 2 years. Works great.
it used to keep getting killed after a while and I'd get ads again. setting higher priority didnt help

in the end went with adaway on my rooted phone. combined with youtube vanced, I dont get ads on any app on my phone.

it used to keep getting killed after a while and I'd get ads again. setting higher priority didnt help

in the end went with adaway on my rooted phone. combined with youtube vanced, I dont get ads on any app on my phone.
Disable battery optimisation or keep it open by locking it

I personally see this as a trouble to maintain multiple devices and apps/solutions for adblock because coming from experience I used to do this since years on a few phones and laptops etc. Since it's a filter on client-end it does take some processing and battery power as well. Since last year I switch to pi-hole and never looked back. All devices on my network are automatically ad-free and as for youtube I'm also using Vanced till it just doesn't work.

I personally suggest to use pi-hole to anyone. If you have an old android that can be rooted, you can set that up a linux container in it and run pi-hole on your network. Here's the project: https://github.com/DesktopECHO/Pi-hole-for-Android
I used this solution for 5-6 months then I switched to a Rpi 0. Nothing was wrong with the former though.

Currently using Blokada as suggested by @ibose & @Mr.J.

This is enough for me. And as for pi-hole. The idea is great, but then the blocking will be limited to my home network only, isn't it? How will it work on mobile network (while travelling / or at office) ?

I do have a Nexus 5 lying spare. I can use it for pi-hole as suggested by @enthusiast29

Thanks everyone :)

This is enough for me. And as for pi-hole. The idea is great, but then the blocking will be limited to my home network only, isn't it? How will it work on mobile network (while travelling / or at office) ?
Yes, it's network level blocking/filtering. For outside the network you'd need other solutions.

I use both blokada and Adguard (office and personal) and I like them both. But for the little that we pay for adguard, I think the extra features are worth the price. You can get adguard at a discount almost all the time. Also, it gives you the convenience of using it on windows devices too!

Back