Italy v France (FIFA World Cup 2006)

really disappointed with the way Zidane behaved on the field......... Buffon imho was the real hero, what saves ! Anyways the better team won and i am not mad about losing some nickels :p

Gods favourite son just moved to satans camp for that minute...

He was my fav man and the main reason for such interest in the WC....Zidane of all players...gosh.....the commentator was chokin in disbelief...the whole world was...

surely smth really bad must hv gone b/w him and the italian throughout the match for zidane to lose it...but he is a profesional..they rnt playing street football..this is the finals of the world cup and he headbuts an opponent out of play...red card was the only alternative left for the referee, infact he didnt even give the referee a chance to do anyth else....maybe zizou felt he wudnt b expelleed frm this final n can get away with BS when no1 was watching....wonder if trazeguet wud hv taken that penalty (which was a great one almost) if zidane was on the field......

Zidane shudnt have done that yesterday.

I have never seen him loose his temper in this world cup to this extent.

Why did he had to do this when there were few minutes left for penalty shoots.

France wud have really won this if ZiZoU had kept his cool.

I had not even thought in my wildest dreams that Zidane's career wud end with a red card.

I still cant believe this :(

I just switched off my TV yesterday and went to sleep caring a sh** for my nickels.

Zidanes Career shud not have ended like this , really feel bad for him.

He couldnot even come to take the silver medal , looks like he only wanted the gold one.

If i being an Indian feel so bad for France , Just Imagine what people in France might be going through.

heeee.. Italy won!!! :D My dream team won the championship the World Cup . lol Switch , u know both are equally good sides and I have no idea why you had voted for France with a huge number of nickels :no: . now dont remove nickels from all of us :mad: . Nah , we know we cant hold you to a ransom :rofl: but just dont do such a horrible act like Zidane's head-shot :no:

its been fun and enjoyable betting for various teams during this WC '06 . I'm looking forward to watching the next edition which would be held in S A and here is hoping they make some superb stadiums like these fifa stadiums in Germany + proper facilities . :eek: they are spending around 50 billion dollars on this !!

yeah i am feeling bad for zizaou.... infact tough i was supporting italy my heart was with france..... zizaou is my fav player too... infact it was a heartbreaker that he was out in such a bad way.... evene worst the captain for the runner up team.... the worlds most amazing player could not come to take the medal... infact the rule says he is not allowed.... the france couch had nothing to speak.. he was shoked to death..

@techie... i understand what u feel and the whole france feels.... may be u might not have been disapponted so much if france lost in presence of zindane.. i was supporting italy and my team won so thats why i put up the pictures.... it was not to harm or put salt on anyone.. as i said zizaou is my fav player too but since france lost i cant stop celebrating ... still if u want i will remove the pictures.... but again no hard feeling.. it was an amazing world cup to rememeber..

well, i always had a feeling in my mind that italy will make through this final and they did it!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways there were so many incidents on the field this world cup which prompts my mind that it very much resembled match fixing!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel really bad for Zidane...

Materazzi must have really picked his raw nerve.

Not to take anything away from Italy though,

Buffon / Cannavaro / Grosso / Gatusso / Toni / Zambrotta / Materazzi were magnificient...:D

I guess Materazzi must have said something really bad to provoke Zizou....but still, that is no excuse. He is one of top players in the world. One of the MOST professional. Dont tell me he has never had to deal with snide comments before in his life.

I am so shattered....even after a night's good sleep, I am still stunned and shocked....

Yipee !! I won some nickels for the first time this world cup !!!

It was goin to be the Azzurri all the way, I knew it.

Its really sad to have lost my respect for one of the best players in the world !!

Buffon collects the Lev Yashin Award

Buffon collects the Lev Yashin Award

Italy shotstopper Gianluigi Buffon has won the coveted Lev Yashin Award, given to the best goalkeeper at the FIFA World Cup™ finals. The Juventus star is a worthy successor to Belgium’s legendary Michel Preud’Homme, flamboyant French keeper Fabien Barthez and Germany’s Oliver Kahn, winners in 1994, 1998 and 2002 respectively.

Buffon has been singled out as a potential all-time great ever since making his Serie A debut at tender age of 17 years and nine months. The 2006 FIFA World Cup Germanyâ„¢ will go down in history as the tournament the classy custodian cemented his place alongside the best goalkeepers ever to play the game.

It is difficult to find any chinks in Buffon's armour: the Italian star seems to possess the full range of qualities needed to be a complete No.1. Roberto Beccantini, a journalist at Italian daily newspaper La Stampa was brave enough to compare Buffon with legendary Azzurri keeper Dino Zoff, a hero of Italy’s 1982 FIFA World Cup-winning campaign. Beccantini believes Buffon possesses more of the characteristics shared by the classic Mediterranean stoppers while Zoff was perhaps more English in his style.

The former Parma keeper wasted no time in making his mark at Germany 2006. Buffon’s acrobatics in his side’s opening game against Ghana were ample proof of his full recovery from the potentially career-threatening shoulder injury suffered at the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Despite having to endure a number of other knocks and niggles throughout the campaign, Buffon timed his return to full fitness perfectly, hitting top form to help the Vecchia Signora clinch the league title and the Azzurri lift the FIFA World Cup.

Gigi’s toughest test would come in the group game against Czech Republic, going head-to-head with Juventus club-mate Pavel Nedved. After an intriguing duel, it was the keeper who came out on top, keeping a clean sheet in Italy’s 2-0 win.

Prior to Sunday’s Final in Berlin, Buffon’s goal had been breached just the once, right-back Cristian Zaccardo putting through his own net against the USA. That one mishap aside, the Italian backline provided an effective screen throughout the tournament. Fabio Cannavaro and Co. were able to do their job safe in the knowledge that their world-class keeper would deal comfortably with any shots that did get through.

In one of the highlights of Italy’s campaign, Buffon ran the length of field to celebrate with his team-mates after Marco Materazzi’s opener against Czech Republic. With the benefit of hindsight, this was the first sign that an indomitable team spirit was being forged among the members of Marcello Lippi's squad.

In the Final itself, Buffon overcame the blow of conceding an early Zinedine Zidane penalty to put in an exemplary display, typified in the second half when he tipped over a goalbound Zidane header. Not may would argue against the fact that Buffon is a worthy FIFA World Cup winner and a deserved recipient of the Lev Yashin Award.

He totally deserved it!!!

true..... I remember in the Portugal natchm Barthez made a horrendous miss..... It came straight into his arms and he scooped it up!! what a guy!! He is really crazy at times !! :rofl: :rofl:

hey guys did u read nikhils link...there are so many pages to tht link...click next and read all of em...Zidane is very sensitive to something and thts what matarezzi used against him...
well done nikhil...repped u..thanks..
well i also didnt know zidane earned...hold ur breath..14 red cards in his career...

Reports are that Zidane isnt retiring just as yet, will play full time in an international b4 retiring... :clap:

Back