CPU/Mobo Just built my first PC but it doesn't boot. The red CPU light and orange DRAM light on the motherboard are flashing alternatively :( What do I do?

Digigear

Disciple
Hi guys,

This is my build:-

#ComponentBrandItem
1CPUIntelIntel Core I5-12600k Desktop Processor
2MotherboardMSIMSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4 Intel Motherboard
3MemoryCrucialCrucial Ballistix MAX 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4 4000 Memory - Black (BLM2K16G40C18U4B)
4StorageWestern DigitalWD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 3,600 MB/s - WDS100T1B0E
5CoolerDeepcoolDeepcool AK620 CPU Cooler
6Power SupplyASUSASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold Power Supply
7CabinetASUSASUS TUF Gaming GT301 ATX mid-tower compact case

I've never built a PC before. I basically followed a youtube guide to do this but now it won't boot and as mentioned in the title, the red CPU light and oragne DRAM light on the motherboard are flashing alternatively.

I've tried removing and reseating the RAM properly.

I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

IS CPU properly installed?
How do I check?

Honestly I don't even wanna do this on my own now.

I want to find if there is someone with some expertise near me.

The thing is if I undo the cooler, I have to remove the thermal paste and redo the whole thing right?

Check for the CPU and two EPS connectors.

Normally its almost impossible to install modern CPU in a wrong way due to the cut outs. Check for the RAM also. They actually have to be seated with a click.
attaching a picture for your reference. I think you must have installed in this manner itself.

Attachments

• Intel-Core-i5-12600K-3-920x690.jpg
    Intel-Core-i5-12600K-3-920x690.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 259
relatable google search results
solved --> 1 link

info about lights - 2 links

I guess you might have already known about these, just trying to help !!!

Try reseating the cpu also. Check if cpu fan header is plugged in properly.

Try running with just one ram piece. Try both individually. Make sure they are seated properly and you get a click.

Remove the cmos battery and see if it resets the bios.

Check for the CPU and two EPS connectors.

Normally its almost impossible to install modern CPU in a wrong way due to the cut outs. Check for the RAM also. They actually have to be seated with a click.
attaching a picture for your reference. I think you must have installed in this manner itself.
I took a photo of the cpu after applying the thermal paste
IMG20220415161910.jpg

It looks fairly well seated doesn't it?

As for the RAM i tried swapping the RAM modules and reseating them, using one at a time etc.

None of it has worked.

I actually loosened the cooler to eliminate the possibility that i had the cooler screwed in too tight and I'm not sure what i did but now it won't even power up :(

I definitely don't wanna screw things over for myself. I'm gonna take it to a repair shop tomorrow.

Fingers crossed its just something plugged in incorrectly. The second vest thing would be if one of the components is DOA and I can RMA it through the vendor. The worst scenario would be if something got damaged because of something that I did thereby voiding warranty.

I really hope it's something simple!

CPU is seated right. You have actually used too much thermal compound. But it does not matter anyway.

Did you get any beep code on the motherboard?

Anyway you have made the right decision to visit the repair shop. Maybe they will charge you a bit extra but its better than losing peace of mind. Most probably it's the power / EPC/ CPU connector. Otherwise the Mobo is at fault.

I took a photo of the cpu after applying the thermal pasteView attachment 131710

It looks fairly well seated doesn't it?

As for the RAM i tried swapping the RAM modules and reseating them, using one at a time etc.

None of it has worked.

I actually loosened the cooler to eliminate the possibility that i had the cooler screwed in too tight and I'm not sure what i did but now it won't even power up :(

I definitely don't wanna screw things over for myself. I'm gonna take it to a repair shop tomorrow.

Fingers crossed its just something plugged in incorrectly. The second vest thing would be if one of the components is DOA and I can RMA it through the vendor. The worst scenario would be if something got damaged because of something that I did thereby voiding warranty.

I really hope it's something simple!
Best is to take it to local hardware guy you know of - that will provide faster resolution if any of the component is at fault.

Best is to take it to local hardware guy you know of - that will provide faster resolution if any of the component is at fault.
I'm talking to the nearby computer repair shop. He asked me to bring it over after 10:30am tomorrow.

But I'm going to unplug everything and put it all back together one last time tomorrow morning before 10am. If that doesn't work I'm taking it over.

I'm not a 100% sure but can you be sure you plugged the CPU EPS 8-pin connector right from the PSU? Some people confused the PCIe connector and CPU connector on a modular PSU.
Make sure those are right.

PS: thermal paste amount is just fine. Also for a quick boot and check you don't even need to put a cooler. It's not harmful at all. I'd suggest you don't at least for a quick boot to BIOS. You can touch the CPU and feel if it's getting warm and power is being supplied properly. When it boots fine you can press power button to turn it off.

I'm talking to the nearby computer repair shop. He asked me to bring it over after 10:30am tomorrow.

But I'm going to unplug everything and put it all back together one last time tomorrow morning before 10am. If that doesn't work I'm taking it over.
Remove power outlet connection, remove CMOS battery. Wait for 30 seconds. Insert CMOS battery. Plug in your power connection. Turn it on. If this does not work, share a photo showing your motherboard and its connectors. Just keep the very basic connections. Remove all HDD/SSD/NVMe and USB devices. Also, re-seat your RAM. There should be an audible click when you press the RAM module. Start with single RAM module. See if the RAM is properly seated.

I'm not a 100% sure but can you be sure you plugged the CPU EPS 8-pin connector right from the PSU? Some people confused the PCIe connector and CPU connector on a modular PSU.
Make sure those are right.

PS: thermal paste amount is just fine. Also for a quick boot and check you don't even need to put a cooler. It's not harmful at all. I'd suggest you don't at least for a quick boot to BIOS. You can touch the CPU and feel if it's getting warm and power is being supplied properly. When it boots fine you can press power button to turn it off.
If I remove the cooler do I have to remove all the thermal paste and reapply it all over again? Because I'm worried that for the time it is exposed it's going to collect dust that could impact the efficiency of the paste?

And if I were to remove the paste and reapply what's the best approach?

If I remove the cooler do I have to remove all the thermal paste and reapply it all over again? Because I'm worried that for the time it is exposed it's going to collect dust that could impact the efficiency of the paste?

And if I were to remove the paste and reapply what's the best approach?
If it's a good spread then you're fine, no need to reapply. As per the pic it should be fine. Also if you're gonna touch the CPU while it's running then do re-apply the paste.

It's better to replace the thermal paste if you've touched it with your fingers or if you've left the paste exposed for a long time in an environment with too much dust.

To clean the thermal paste you can use IPA or Water. You don't have to take the processor out of the mobo. Gently clean the paste with a damp cloth. Do not use too much water, you dont want water to drip down and seep into the CPU socket. Make sure that the water has evaporated before powering on.

The bare minimum components you need to turn on the pc are a motherboard, processor (no cooler), 1 ram stick and a PSU. And connect the power and reset pins from the cabinet I/O to your mobo. And you can plug-in a display as well if you want to.

All the best.

Guys thanks for all your support. I unplugged everything and put it back and found out what the issue was.

I got it to boot. But the first 2 RAM slots are faulty.

The RAM modules themselves are fine and I'm able to boot it if I connect the RAM to the last 2 slots.

Upon closer inspection of the back of the mobo, I found this

IMG_20220416_110752_195.jpg

It appears that a piece (PCI component?) is missing.

At last I figured out what the issue is and I'm so relieved that it isn't the CPU.

What do I do now? Is it possible to get this fixed via RMA?

This would be a hard one. It comes under physical damage. You'd probably have to prove yourself that you didn't do it.
Seems like luck is giving you a hard time.

Also about RAM, plug them in the last and 2nd slot from the CPU for a dual channel configuration.

Guys thanks for all your support. I unplugged everything and put it back and found out what the issue was.

The RAM modules themselves are fine and I'm able to boot it if I connect the RAM to the last 2 slots.

At last I figured out what the issue is and I'm so relieved that it isn't the CPU.

Only one way to find out. Send it for RMA immediately. There is no point in using a lemon. You are also going to miss out on dual channel memory if first two memory slots are not working.

View attachment 131714

Get a RMA of the board ASAP. Don't wait for it.

Just don't mention anything specific to the service center. Just tell them that the motherboard does not work. It's a brand new motherboard and RMA should be easy. DO NOT MENTION ABOUT THE MISSING COMPONENT or else you will have a hard time proving that the board was like this from day one.

Back