CPU/Mobo Just built my first PC but it doesn't boot. The red CPU light and orange DRAM light on the motherboard are flashing alternatively :( What do I do?

Just don't mention anything specific to the service center. Just tell them that the motherboard does not work. It's a brand new motherboard and RMA should be easy. DO NOT MENTION ABOUT THE MISSING COMPONENT or else you will have a hard time proving that the board was like this from day one.
Good advise or better yet don't go for RMA but do the same with the retailer and try getting a replacement from them instead since it's a new piece.

Guys thanks for all your support. I unplugged everything and put it back and found out what the issue was.

I got it to boot. But the first 2 RAM slots are faulty.

The RAM modules themselves are fine and I'm able to boot it if I connect the RAM to the last 2 slots.

Upon closer inspection of the back of the mobo, I found this

View attachment 131714
It appears that a piece (PCI component?) is missing.

At last I figured out what the issue is and I'm so relieved that it isn't the CPU.

What do I do now? Is it possible to get this fixed via RMA?
That "highest authority" reading this :grinning:
EVQ58bPWkAEqgJC.jpg

Guys thanks for all your support. I unplugged everything and put it back and found out what the issue was.

The RAM modules themselves are fine and I'm able to boot it if I connect the RAM to the last 2 slots.

View attachment 131714

At last I figured out what the issue is and I'm so relieved that it isn't the CPU.

How many days since purchase, If its up to 10 days grab hold of the shop/online retailer and state it as DOA.
If long time has passed, get it rmaed. Dont do gandhigiri showing them the missing fault etc. Seems either you or the retailer handled the mobo roughly on a hard surface.

This would be a hard one. It comes under physical damage. You'd probably have to prove yourself that you didn't do it.
Seems like luck is giving you a hard time.

Also about RAM, plug them in the last and 2nd slot from the CPU for a dual channel configuration.

Not necessarily unless you want to follow gandhi path. I have sent lots of such stuff for rma since 90s with 150% success! Just act innocent.

Last edited:
That "highest authority" reading this :grinning:
EVQ58bPWkAEqgJC.jpg
My luck with motherboards is shit! lol

How many days since purchase, If its up to 10 days grab hold of the shop/online retailer and state it as DOA.
If long time has passed, get it rmaed. Dont do gandhigiri showing them the missing fault etc. Seems either you or the retailer handled the mobo roughly on a hard surface.
I went to the retailer with it. I don't know how this happened, but when he opened the motherboard it had one pin slightly bent in the CPU and he said they can't do anything about pin damage and directed me to MSI service center.

Instead of going to the service center right away to be told the same, I went home and looked up on Youtube to find how to fix the bent pins and went ahead and straightened it out. It must have happened when I plugged everything out and was trying to put the plastic cap back on the CPU slot. Anyway, it was such a minor bend. I was able to fix it right away.

After fixing the pin I went to the service center, gave it to them. They inspected the CPU pins with a magnifying glass and saw that it was all good and took it in. I've got an RMA number and it's going to Delhi and the ETA for resolution is 10 to 15 days.

I gotta say, motherboards hate me :(
No necessarily unless you want to follow gandhi path. I have sent lots of such stuff for rma since 90s with 150% success! Just act innocent.
This gives me some hope. But with my luck, we'll have to see lol

This is why I never suggest someone new to build their PC on their own the first time. You gotta learn first, have some experience with old parts or see someone else or watch like a dozen videos before attempting to do it on fresh expensive hardware because one little mistake can cost a lot of money and time.

Good job on fixing the bent pin. Did you try booting it again with both memory channels populated? In most cases bent pin can cause a memory channel to not work.

Last edited:
This is why I never suggest someone new to build their PC on their own the first time. You gotta learn first, have some experience with old parts or see someone else or watch like a dozen videos before attempting to do it on fresh expensive hardware because one little mistake can cost a lot of money and time.
True. Probably for some people.

But for me I love the pain and the labor I've gone through the past couple of months, the several moments of indecisions, wavering and now all this drama. I have learned SO MUCH! I don't think I would have learned so much if someone had done it all for me. I'm someone who cherishes learning more than the cost it comes with. So I don't mind at all.

I just know that when it's all done and working, it will be my baby and we'll have had an origin story lol :)

So yeah, no regrets!
Good job on fixing the bent pin. Did you try booting it again with both memory channels populated? In most cases bent pin can cause a memory channel to not work.
No I didn't try to boot it after fixing the bent pin. The service center was closing in an hour and I didn't wanna wait till Monday.

I'm just hoping I'll get it back all fixed within the end of this month. *fingers crossed*

But for me I love the pain and the labor I've gone through the past couple of months, the several moments of indecisions, wavering and now all this drama. I have learned SO MUCH! I don't think I would have learned so much if someone had done it all for me. I'm someone who cherishes learning more than the cost it comes with. So I don't mind at all.

I just know that when it's all done and working, it will be my baby and we'll have had an origin story lol :)

So yeah, no regrets!

No I didn't try to boot it after fixing the bent pin. The service center was closing in an hour and I didn't wanna wait till Monday.

I'm just hoping I'll get it back all fixed within the end of this month. *fingers crossed*
hope it all works out. i would've given you my spare z77 board so you could've got your assembler learners license on that lol.

So yeah, no regrets!

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not saying one shouldn't build on their own the first time, just not on expensive brand new hardware. For all you know perhaps you knocked off the capacitor unknowingly like you bent the pin.
Practice on old hardware, get your hands steady on them and gain confidence then you can work on brand new hardware like legos.

I hope there's no more trouble now.

This is so true. Bent pin CAN cause memory channels to not work.

Lets hope that its smooth sailing from here on.

Although you must have seen couple of assembling videos of various part on youtube. But in my opinion the Motherboard box is the perfect thing to keep below, while assembling all the parts. You will have enough rigidness to fix everything including the RAM modules. And besides its is always easiest to assemble everything and then put them in the cabinet.

View attachment 131714

i hope you have checked page 19 of motherboard manual and connected rams in correct slots ,its not necessary its a missing component it could be by design not placed its a very clean pcb ,check some overclockers /tweaktown or some other hardware forum (they generally take a very high resolution photographs of mobos if they have reviewed. from those photographs compare the component in question) and check whether you are the chosen one or all the motherboard has the missing SMD.

I have sent lots of such stuff for rma since 90s with 150% success! Just act innocent.
Btw I thought they would take in the whole box. But they only took the motherboard.

What happens now? Do they repair it and send back the same unit or do they send me a fresh unit? And if it is the latter do they send the whole box or just a new different piece?

Btw I thought they would take in the whole box. But they only took the motherboard.

What happens now? Do they repair it and send back the same unit or do they send me a fresh unit? And if it is the latter do they send the whole box or just a new different piece?
They take a the Mobo alone but if RMA is fresh piece you should be getting a new sealed piece.

Got my mobo back from Kaizen. They said 2 weeks but it took 3 weeks, but anyway they sent me back my fixed mobo. It wasn't a new unit. Just the same mobo fixed up. And the RAM and everything else are working great.

So I guess MSI warranty does work after all. In case anyone was wondering.

Strangely though, that missing piece is still missing. So maybe it wasn't an important component to begin with, because everything is working as it should. At least as far as what I've been able to test. So it's all good I guess.

Got my mobo back from Kaizen. They said 2 weeks but it took 3 weeks, but anyway they sent me back my fixed mobo. It wasn't a new unit. Just the same mobo fixed up. And the RAM and everything else are working great.

So I guess MSI warranty does work after all. In case anyone was wondering.

Strangely though, that missing piece is still missing. So maybe it wasn't an important component to begin with, because everything is working as it should. At least as far as what I've been able to test. So it's all good I guess.

Maybe there was nothing missing from the starting itself. Many times motherboard manufacturers use same layout for several motherboard with some minor stuffs here and there. It's really difficult to say that something is missing without actually referring another motherboard (same model).

But glad that everything is working fine. The computer assembly was an ordeal in itself.

Back