CPU/Mobo Kentsfield Prices Revealed

octave

Adept
Digitimes

Prices for Intel quad-core desktop CPUs available

Intel's first quad-core desktop processor, the Core 2 Extreme QX6700, which is scheduled to be released next month, will sell for US$999 in 1,000-unit quantities, according to sources at Taiwan motherboard makers who are familiar with Intel's latest roadmap.
The Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor will be available in January 2007 at US$851, the sources added.

As prices for both the QX6700 and Q6600 are too high, it will prevent the quad-core CPUs from gaining popularity, stated the sources. According to Intel's roadmap, quad-core processors will only account for 3% of the company's total desktop CPU shipments within one year following the launch, the sources indicated.

The sources suggested that prices of quad-core CPUs may start declining in the third quarter of 2007 when Intel is expected to launch its next-generation quad-core processors, codenamed Yorkfield. At the same timeframe, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) will likely begin releasing its own quad-core CPUs, the sources said.

Aditya said:
850$ for the Q6600????

It was supposed to be 550$ :S.
Sad... Waiting for Yorkfield anyways :eek:hyeah:...
Xbitlabs
Quad-Core Chips to Account for 3% of Intel’s Desktop CPU Shipments – Claim
Only three percents of Intel Corp.’s desktop central processing units (CPUs) will have two processing engines, whereas the remaining will still have either one or two cores, it transpired.

Apparently, Intel’s Core 2 Quad processor Q6600 with four processing engines will be priced at $851 in Q1 2007, according to a news-story by DigiTimes. In addition to the Core 2 Quad Q6600, there will be Core 2 Extreme QX6700 chip – also featuring four cores – priced at $999 on the market. Due to pretty high prices of the quad-core microprocessors, their share among Intel’s desktop shipments will be only 3%. The web-site cites roadmap as the source of the information.

More democratic pricing of quad-core chips is expected in the second half of 2007, when Intel releases its second-generation quad-core microprocessors made using 45nm process technology and support SSE4 instructions. The microprocessor code-named Yorkfield will feature single-die design as well as unified level-two (L2) cache, which should boost its efficiency when compared to Intel’s first-generation quad-core offerings that have two-dice design and have to cooperate using processor system bus (PSB). Yorkfield is expected to feature 1333MHz PSB and be compatible with chipsets code-named Bearlake, which also support DDR3 memory.

While it may seem that 3% of Intel’s shipments is not a significant amount of chips, this is not completely correct. Even if the market of personal computers remains on the level of 2006 next year, then, about 230 million systems will be sold (IDC data), the vast majority employing one chip. Intel commands roughly 75% of x86 microprocessor market and 3% of its shipments is approximately 5.175 million, a large amount of microprocessors. If the amount of systems to be supplied reaches 257 million, then Intel's total shipments will be nearly 192 million and 3% out of them - about 5.78 million.

Intel did not comment on the news-story.

perhaps thats the reason for the high pricing...

typical Intel move ........ now only AMD comes with better or at least comparable procesors prices will come down ......

Hehe Goldie.. where n when u heard/read about Quad-Core being $550??

Honestly no more waiting for anything as Both companies are working on some (great) products.. whichever suits my idea of Best Bang for Buck will be in my RIG :)

kentsfield..den yorkfield n finally the new intel architecture the nehalem....and i m still stuck wid my tandoori prescott 3.06!! (although i have an amd64 x2 3800+ too)...how da hell do we upgrade wid things changin so rapidly!!

Back