PC Peripherals Keyboard keys gone bad, works randomly or double type issue

nitin_g3

Adept
I have a hyperx alloy origins core tkl with red hyperx switches, some keys (5-6) don't work well, few keys required to be pressed hard to register a key stroke and some keys double type.
After some googling I found that most people suggest to replace the switches.
My questions are:
  1. Is replacing switches the only option for me? (I'm aware it'll involve de-soldering and then soldering new switches). Do I have any other option where I won't need to replace the faulty switches?
  2. If replacement of switches is the only option, can I replace them with any other brand switches as I'm not able to find hyperx red switches anywhere online. Any links for Compatible switches is appreciated.
  3. I also notices that 3 months back the issue was only with total of 3 switches and now it has increased to 5. Will my switches keep dying like that, could it be whole faulty keyboard? Keyboard is more than a year old btw.
TIA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_102404_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_102404_Chrome.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 56
Not sure if this'll help, but I found an ifixit guide that says you can replace with any MX switch of your choice. It also gives a detailed replacement guide, but is quoted to be difficult.
Link: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HyperX+Alloy+Origins+Key+Switch+Replacement/155723
Thanks for the link.
I also noticed that ifixit says only replace the switch if it's completely broken, does that mean there's still chance to revive a switch if it still works by hard pressing? which is the case with my keyboard.

Edit: Could a deep cleaning of switches work here?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.
I also noticed that ifixit says only replace the switch if it's completely broken, does that mean there's still chance to revive a switch if it still works by hard pressing? which is the case with my keyboard.
I'm not sure. I've heard people opening each switch and diagnosing, but I doubt it's easier than just outright replacing them. But do confirm that the issue is due to the switch and not the board before doing a change (not sure how to do that though). I've have one of those cheap hp mechanical keyboards with rebranded outemu switches, I have a double press issue on S and down arrow. For the price, I'm thinking of just replacing them. And replacement MX switches aren't all that expensive.

Hey u can also try cleaning the switches with a blower . I had the same issue with my hyperx alloy elite which has cherry mx brown switches . And if this dosent work replace the faulty switches with cherry mx red switches . (Note : If you are comfortable desolder the switch and then clean it before changing switch. )

My questions are:
  1. Is replacing switches the only option for me? (I'm aware it'll involve de-soldering and then soldering new switches). Do I have any other option where I won't need to replace the faulty switches?
  2. If replacement of switches is the only option, can I replace them with any other brand switches as I'm not able to find hyperx red switches anywhere online. Any links for Compatible switches is appreciated.
  3. I also notices that 3 months back the issue was only with total of 3 switches and now it has increased to 5. Will my switches keep dying like that, could it be whole faulty keyboard? Keyboard is more than a year old btw.
1. By what you've said, thats the only permanent solution
2. you can replace them with similar switches. The feel might be slightly different but they'll work.
3. Very much possible.

Hey u can also try cleaning the switches with a blower
I've already tried blower method and unfortunately it didn't work.
Do you know where I can purchase cherry mx red switches online? And will I have to buy a full set or I can buy just few like 10 switches?

2. you can replace them with similar switches. The feel might be slightly different but they'll work.
Thanks, Are the cherry mx red closest? Or any other switches which are reliable and easily available online?

Edit: found this, selling set of 10 cherry mx red rgb for 500.

Not sure if the rgb will work as expected.
Put some isopropyl alcohol inside the switch to get it cleaned. It may help the issue temporarily.
Thanks, Will try this as my first solution before jumping into de-soldering and soldering.

Last edited:
Thanks, Are the cherry mx red closest? Or any other switches which are reliable and easily available online?

Edit: found this, selling set of 10 cherry mx red rgb for 500.

Not sure if the rgb will work as expected.

Thanks, Will try this as my first solution before jumping into de-soldering and soldering.
CHerry MX reds wil work, however they might feel slightly different to the switches you already have

RGB is going to be difficult, especially if you have LEDs on the switch. If yes, you have to be super duper careful when desoldering the LED. Its very easy to kill them

1. I also notices that 3 months back the issue was only with total of 3 switches and now it has increased to 5. Will my switches keep dying like that, could it be whole faulty keyboard? Keyboard is more than a year old btw.
TIA.
Death is inevitable and this is how any keyboard dies once it reaches its final days or been stressed!
Yours is an rgb kb so its gonna be truly difficult to replace if you got zero knowledge on soldering.

Sadly the IPA cleaning didn't work, not even a single key worked after cleaning.
Also another key died today.

I feel like getting a new keyboard is a better option at this point as compared to repairing it.

Sadly the IPA cleaning didn't work, not even a single key worked after cleaning.
Also another key died today.

I feel like getting a new keyboard is a better option at this point as compared to repairing it.
For the rate at which keys are dying, it'd be better to buy a new one.

For the rate at which keys are dying, it'd be better to buy a new one.
Honestly didn't expect such quality from HyperX given the price of the keyboard and ratings on Amazon (4.7 and more than a thousand reviews).
My other old Chinese keyboard with OutEmu brown switches is still working great and it's more than 5 years old now.

Honestly didn't expect such quality from HyperX given the price of the keyboard and ratings on Amazon (4.7 and more than a thousand reviews).
My other old Chinese keyboard with OutEmu brown switches is still working great and it's more than 5 years old now.
How old is the keyboard though ??

Honestly, a few of my membrane keyboards have lasted longer then 3 years.

To be clear, I also have a couple mechanical keyboards as well but with original cherry mx switches.

Back