Kill a watt meter

adder

Skilled
Well for those who are lazy to make their own.

MECO india has launched 220v kill a watt meter.For those who don't know MECO makes excellent multimeters,clamp meters of high quality.

Meco Power guard measures
voltage from 195 to 265v
current of 0.02 ~ 10 A
Active power ,power factor 0.2 to 2200watt
active energy from 5 to 2200watt.
Energy usage time in days/hrs/min/years/month
Has a backlight

Price unknown
product53998500.jpg

^Measures many parameters such as voltage, amperage drawn by the equipment, power factor, power consumed in units, frequency etc and displays it on the LCD so that the consumer can be aware of the power consumed by the equipment.

It doesn't kill a watt otherwise. The name is a misnomer. :p

Tech_enthu said:
What does this actually do? how does it function if it kills watts?
what is the price and where is it available?

Well it tells us ignorant greedy humans to how much power the device is actually consuming,so you can know how much your tv consumes when its in use and in standby.Some Set top box have no difference in power consumption of stand by and running and many usually leave it on for 24/7 and most STB consume about 20watt.

Kill a watt is a name give by the manufacturer P3 international.ThinkGeek :: Kill-A-Watt
Just like walk man is a cool name rather then a portable Cassette player.
Kill A Watt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two drawbacks i noticed:

1 - voltage 195 - 295. Many times voltage will go below 195 then this wont work.

2 - Just 10Amps. Can a fridge/ac be connected to this? I guess not.

Made for small stuff only.

Edit: No mention of battery backup too. :(

Totally of no use to me then.

6pack said:
Two drawbacks i noticed:
1 - voltage 195 - 295. Many times voltage will go below 195 then this wont work.
2 - Just 10Amps. Can a fridge/ac be connected to this? I guess not.

Made for small stuff only.

Edit: No mention of battery backup too. :(
Totally of no use to me then.
Yes a fridge can run in it 2200 watt means most 2 star and above upto 1.5 ton AC can run.
No idea about the battery backup and yes the voltage range is limited,atleast on most occasions one gets a high voltage then low voltage.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Emil said:
What does this specification mean?
Wish i knew.The website Panel and Switchboard Instruments, Test and Measuring Instruments, Power and Harmonics Analyzers by Meco Instruments Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai. has minimal information,i posted the specs from a electronic component magazine which had more info

Contacted Meco Instruments, and they sent me the product brochure and price list. MRP is Rs 2160!! :O

Are these instruments sold at MRP usually? Anyway will reply asking for actual pricing for 5-10 Units. :p

Pricelist

Brochure

The entire MRP concept is a big sham for such products. Dealers sell them at very much below MRP usually.

At that price, you might actually see if you can get a full-fledged energy meter which should be far better than this. The only disadvantage of a energy meter is that you can't get instantaneous results. But when you have closed loop controlled equipment like A/c, fridge, storage heaters, etc., the instantaneous result of a watt measurement is not good enough.

I asked a few electronic shops at SP road about this, and they gave me a look as if to say "What the Hell ??" :S

I guess the brand is only selling in Mumbai/Pune area.

varkey said:
Contacted Meco Instruments, and they sent me the product brochure and price list. MRP is Rs 2160!! :O

Are these instruments sold at MRP usually? Anyway will reply asking for actual pricing for 5-10 Units. :p

Varkey, over time, what I've figured out is that manufacturers will usually sell at MRP or near to MRP to retail customers. I guess the reason is that they don't want to compete with their own dealers/channels, and make those guys unhappy.

You will almost certainly get it cheaper from a shop/dealer. If you can find one that handles this brand, that is :lol:

Well when i bought my meco multimeter in SP road,the MRP was Rs3k in 1996 ,but bought it for 2k without bill,still running strong .Its MRP now is 1.3k.

MECO products are of high quality ,their cheapest mulitmeter costs more then 1k.So don't expect prices like Chinese make or local made ones

Also in that pricelist their apprears to be a 15A model which can handle a load of 3100 watt but for 10min only. it price in local market should be around 1.5k to 1.7k.

I would be very interested in buying this product. I hope we can have a GO soon :)

If not, I would be happy to build one towards the end of the year.

Received my Debuy DX Energy meter yesterday , here are some quick impressions

Pros:
1. Can be used to measure cumulative energy consumption(Stored in non-volatile memory)
2. Can be used to keep track of hours of usage of energy meter(Stored in non-volatile memory)
3. Can be used to measure average load power(Watts), consumption per hour(KWH/h), consumption per day(KWH/d), consumption per month(KWH/m)
4. Simple UI with backlight, on startup shows the cumulative energy consumption, pressing the DISP button toggles through the above 5 modes,
pressing SET/CLR for 5 seconds clears the memory
5. Devices with Indian/EU(2 pin), US(2 pin), UK(3 pin) plug can be plugged in to the device for measuring.

Cons:
1. Devices with Indian(3 pin) plug cannot be plugged in to the device(I used a UK adapter for my testing).
2. Can be used to measure max 1400W or 6A(as per manual)
3. LCD labels are in Chinese(as per manual this are W, KWH/h, KWH/d, KWH/m etc)

Some of the readings of my devices is available here planning on further tests this weekend.

mymandarin123 said:
Received my Debuy DX Energy meter yesterday , here are some quick impressions

Pros:

1. Can be used to measure cumulative energy consumption(Stored in non-volatile memory)

2. Can be used to keep track of hours of usage of energy meter(Stored in non-volatile memory)

3. Can be used to measure average load power(Watts), consumption per hour(KWH/h), consumption per day(KWH/d), consumption per month(KWH/m)

4. Simple UI with backlight, on startup shows the cumulative energy consumption, pressing the DISP button toggles through the above 5 modes,

pressing SET/CLR for 5 seconds clears the memory

5. Devices with Indian/EU(2 pin), US(2 pin), UK(3 pin) plug can be plugged in to the device for measuring.

Cons:

1. Devices with Indian(3 pin) plug cannot be plugged in to the device(I used a UK adapter for my testing).

2. Can be used to measure max 1400W or 6A(as per manual)

3. LCD labels are in Chinese(as per manual this are W, KWH/h, KWH/d, KWH/m etc)

Some of the readings of my devices is available here planning on further tests this weekend.
Great! Thanks for posting your impressions. :)

I got hold of a clamp meter locally and does the job perfectly. :p

Back