Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Discussion Thread

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
^^ True #K3yser Sire, but The Witcher 2 demolished that myth, it looked pretty and the combat was unforgiving [not as bad as it is in Dark Souls] but still harder than the run of the mill combat systems like in Dragon Age series and The Elder Scrolls.

K3yser

Disciple
May 3, 2010
Witcher is vastly different than the team based combat in DA (and other team RPGs), and I'd hardly call it run of the mill... (friendly fire AoE spells anyone?
<
)

And yeah! the first encounter with those Guards for the Ballista in Witcher 2 left me, a supposed veteran gamer for 17 years, redfaced !!!

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
The game looks and plays exceptionally on a HD3000 IGP to be honest.

But the highest graphics settings isn't candy to the eyes.

But again, graphics don't make a game.

kauzy

Skilled
Jul 9, 2005
started playing it.. loving it so far.. i feel gameplay is better than skyrim.. lets see how long this takes me..
<

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
started playing it.. loving it so far.. i feel gameplay is better than skyrim.. lets see how long this takes me..
<

Keep us posted on how it goes. I shall be taking this up a little later.
<

Oh and VG247's Brenna Hillier tells us why the character upgrade system is better than Skyrim, which most of us complained of:

VG247 said:
While re-specs are possible, the continual unlocking of new Destiny Cards mean they’re largely unnecessary. So no more reaching level 40 and realising you’d made a choice around level 13 which completely ruins your planned build and leaves you with half a dozen useless abilities.

kauzy

Skilled
Jul 9, 2005
yup.. will keep the thread updated.. currently in the tutorial mode.. and yet to unleash the full fledged me
<

slept at 4 yesterday.. lolz.. after enjoying for about 6 hours, initial impressions so far..

- character design is not that bad as people say it is.. it is more of comic type.. not life like in skyrim.. but still wonderful in its own sense..

- gameplay is where it beats skyrim.. just loved it.. the character movements.. the way player kills AI with different moves.. different weapons..

- just like skyrim or fallout, character doesn't really speak..

so that is it as of now..
<

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Just starting the game myself. I think the initial part is the same as the demo. Gannu, didn't you try the PC demo?

janes

Disciple
Nov 7, 2007
How to burn this i have ihas flashed but rainbow natioanl with model id mkm001 wont verify after 50% tried a lot of settings no success

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Just completed the intro level, which was essentially the same level provided in the demo. If anyone out here has played Lord of the Rings: War in the North, this game plays exactly like it. The inventory, item pick ups and the whole UI, in general, is very similar to it. The combat is pretty fluid. The camera, however, is screwed up during fights. Lip-sync seems to be all over the place, it never seems to match the voice overs. I have chosen the Dokkalfar race, equipped with patron Lyria, Goddess of Fate's ability.

Here's a useful tool: Talent Calculator

This should help you keep a tab of your skill upgrades and information on each skill.

K3yser

Disciple
May 3, 2010
got the game yesterday... gonna play it today when I get home, hearing a lotta good things about it. Was kinda turned off by the 8gig size of the installation file tho...

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Scores courtesy VG247:

Joystiq – 5/5

IncGamers – 9

1UP – B+

GameTrailers – 8.2

Videogamzone.de – 81/100

Videogamer – 8

GamingXp – 8

GamesTM – 8

GamesRadar – 8

Destructoid – 8

Eurogamer – 8

GameInformer – 8

CVG – 7.8

Gamespot – 7.5

Everyeye.it – 7.5

G4 – 2.5/5

Eurogamer Italy – 9

OPM – 8

Guardian – 5/5

PCGames.de – 81/100

GameStar.de – 8

GameFront – 85/100

Wired – No Score

RipTen – 8.5

KSD – No Score

Gannu, didn't you try the PC demo?

No man. I don't try demos generally.

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009
I found GameTrailer's review to be the fairest. The combat is fantastic, but the graphics, story and questing is a let down, especially when they come from such acclaimed people. Looks like I will wait for the Steam sale for this one.