Kingston HyperX PC3 13000 DDR3 Memory Review

Hey guys, I am back.
Today we take a look at some quality DDR3 RAM from Kingston in this review. The model we received for review is Kingston Hyper X PC3-13000 2GB kit ( Model Kingston KHX13000D3LLK2/2G ).
DDR3 has been around for a while now. Though initially it really did not show any significant advantages over good old DDR2. It was expensive and it did not perform well.

But as time has passed, faster DDR3 memory became available and picture started to change. Today we take a look at the 1625 Mhz offering from the Kingston.

FRONTTTT.jpg
[BREAK=Look at the package]

The ram came in a small cardboard box.

front1.JPG

front2.jpg

The box houses a tetra pack which contains the ram. As you can see, Kingston is marketing this as a gamer’s memory. Our review will also focus more on this than the usual synthetic benchmarking.
pack.JPG
The RAM is HyperX branded which is performance series from the Kingston’s stable.

The sticks are covered with blue aluminum heat spreaders. Aesthetically they look nice. Here are few photos of the kit.

stick1.JPG

stick2.JPG

stick3.JPG

stick4.JPG

stick5.JPG

[BREAK=RAM Specifications and Features]

A quick look at the RAM specifications and features.

• Non-ECC, Unbuffered
• 2GB kit (2x 128Mx64)
• DDR3-1633 CL7-7-7-20-1T latency
• RoHS Compliant
• Enhanced low power features and thermal design
• Rated Voltage : 1.9v
• Lifetime Warranty

[BREAK=The Test bed]

The Test bed and how we tested

Here are the configurations of our systems used to test this kit.
We pitted this kit against good old DDR2 platform to really see how much improvement you really get in reality.

CPU : Intel C2D E8400
Motherboards : XFX 790i Ultra SLI and Abit IX38 Quad GT
RAM : Kingston HyperX PC3 13000 and Transcend AxeRam DDR2 800
Graphic card : Gigabyte 8800GT
Power Supply : OCZ GameXstream 700W

How we tested
We used Everest memory benchmark for testing memory bandwidth. And our usual set of test games suit.

Every test was performed 3 times to make sure results are consistence and then we took an average of all the runs.

A clean install of windows was performed prior to testing.
All the game tests and audio encoding test were performed with CPU speed at 4185Mhz on both the systems.
Kingston was clocked at 1600Mhz 7-6-6-24 and Transcend AxeRam was clocked at DDR2 930Mhz 4-4-4-15.
Let’s move onto the scores

[BREAK=Everest memory and cache benchmark]

Everest memory and cache benchmark

This ram even though rated at 1625 Mhz 7-7-7, was able to run 7-6-6-24 timings at 1600Mhz without upping the voltage.

Here is the what we managed with this RAM. Over 11800 MB/s, impressive I must say.

1600Mhz%20Ram%201860Mhz%20FSB%20UNLINK.JPG

On the other hand DDR2 ram at even 940 Mhz and tight timings of 4-4-4-15 was not even able to break 9000 MB/s

ddr2-everest.jpg

[BREAK=Unreal Tournament 3]
Unreal Tournament 3

33047fa08d159a75.jpg

All in game settings were set to max. 4X AA, 16XAF was forced from NVIDIA control panel.
Game was ran at 1680x1050.

Here are the numbers
RAM%20UT3.png
As you can see there is slight advantage in favor of DDR3 setup.

[BREAK=World In Conflict]
World In Conflict

33047fa0b6d9dd06.jpg
This is one of the best looking RTS games out there. Beautiful graphics, very good gameplay and very good online action. This game has it all. The graphics on RTS were never this good before.

We used Very High settings from game options which forces 4XAA and 4XAF in the game. No manual adjustments were made and we used game’s inbuilt benchmark to test.

Lets have a look at the numbers.

RAM%20WIC.png

Again we see 3 FPS advantage to the DDR3 setup.

[BREAK=Bioshock]
Bioshock

33047fa0b6dada3d.jpg

This was one of the first game that really made UT3 engine shine. The game environment is absolutely fantastic.

Benchmarking this game is little tough. There is no inbuilt benchmark. So we relied on FRAPS to do the work.

Here are the numbers.

RAM%20Bioshock.png

Yes you see the numbers right.
I ran the benchmark multiple times to check if the numbers I was getting are right.
There is significant performance increase with just change in the platform in this game. HyperX DDR3 setup had significant advantage considering the CPU and GPU speeds were kept constant.

[BREAK=Call of Duty 4]
Call of Duty 4

33047fa0b6dbcd17.jpg

Arguably the best release of 2007. One of the most popular game with very intense action and very good gameplay. It looks great as well. And with the popularity of this game, it was impossible to emit this game from our tests.

The game was ran with everything maxed out 4xAA and 16xAF. Every single in game option was set to max.

Here are the numbers.

RAM%20COD4.png

This game again showed considerable improvement in performance with the HyperX and 790i platform.

[BREAK=Crysis]
Crysis

33047fa0bc2759b4.jpg

Ahh so finally the last test. I kept it last on purpose. This game has been named nemesis of the modern GPUs and systems. This game is all about pushing the limits of the graphics, pure eye candy.

All the settings in game were set to max possible settings of HIGH. Then we forced fake VERY HIGH on XP with the system.cfg file. The AA in this game really looks bad. But this game allows you to force Edge AA using the cfg file which looks lot better than in game AA setting.

Here is the cfg file we used.

con_restricted=0
r_motionblur=0
r_UseEdgeAA=2
r_UsePOM=1
r_sunshafts=1
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_Renderer=3
r_colorgrading=1

This gives best possible results in terms of eye candy on XP.

Lets have a look at the numbers.

RAM%20Crysis.png

Not much change in this game which is expected to be honest. This game is hugely limited by the CPU and GPU speeds than anything else.

[BREAK=Audio encoding]
Audio encoding

We encoded our test audio files from wave to MP3 320kbps VBR and noted down the time it took for the system to complete the task. As you must know, lower the better here.
Here are the numbers.

graph.png
As you can see consistent advantage to the DDR3 platform.

[BREAK=Overclocking]

Overclocking

We tried clocking these sticks as high as we can. We managed to get 1800Mhz at 1.9v at 7-7-7-24 out of these sticks. But unfortunately the 790i board was acting up on us. There was clearly some issue with the board bios as performance actually degraded with increase in memory speed above 1700Mhz. And we had the board for very limited time, so detailed testing was not possible :(

[BREAK=Analysis and Conclusion.]
Analysis and Conclusion.

From all these numbers, 1 thing is pretty clear. Performance is there. It’s a clear advantage to the DDR3 platform.

The Kingston HyperX proved to be a good pair. When a memory is able to clock at 1800Mhz, you know it’s a more than decent pair of DDR3 RAM.

At anything close to and above 1600 Mhz, DDR3 does start to open up significant gap in performance over DDR2 in many cases. Even the system felt more zippy and responsive compared to DDR2 platform.

Kingston has produced quality sticks, no question about it. Now the only question that remains is if its worth it?

The answer is very simple. If you are investing in a new platform like 790i Ultra SLI, you better have money to invest in good DDR3 RAM as otherwise it’s a waste of cash to even change the platform. The performance is there. But at the price. DDR2 is dirt cheap today and that’s the main roadblock in adoption of DDR3 today.

Things should start to change soon with reduction in cost and adoption of DDR3 by board makers.

Our special thanks to EXL Public Relations and Kingston for providing the Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625Mhz Kit

Shripad aka Funky signing out.

Funky rawks, monkey rulezz. :D
Hmmm...

So P35+DDR2 is still the king for poor ppl like me and the rich who wanna save some money w/o compromising much on performance. :p

awesome review funky !!

plain and simple ..and the TE exclusive watermark looks super kewl !

i guess we can conclude that a not so rich guy should wait for the DDR3 prices to fall a bit ..?

Yet an another l33t review :), makes me feel good as am jumping to DDR2 platform only now :ashamed:

all that bandwidth and just a small difference in performance :S
nice review, but if some pages could have been clubbed together. only 1 paragraph on a page is :S

hehe I dont know what you guys expect out of memory bandwidth.
Keep in mind CPU speed and GPU speed is exactly same. Most of the games are GPU bound.
And UT3 is bound by both CPU MHZ and GPU. You wont see 15-20% increase in performance with just changing the platform. A platform is more about the features and performance and not just performance alone.

And sure if i ran games at 1024x768 you will see very large gap in performance, i did run the tests at low resolution and there 790+DDR3 opens a gap of more than 10-15 FPS at times. As resolution increases, GPU limitations come into picture. but then again that indicates real world performance.

3 cheers for Funky :clap: Awesome review.. Lucky b1atch. The only guy who has laid his hands on the l33t hardware out there ;) .. Another flawless review :D repss added :D

Edit : Man some gr8 shooting up there/ Awsome pics of the Ram.. Stunning Close Up.

You know that image of this memory you posted in this thread, I really can't picture the image of it in my head, you should try putting real images, so I can see how it looks like :)

TEsnipes040 said:
You know that image of this memory you posted in this thread, I really can't picture the image of it in my head, you should try putting real images, so I can see how it looks like :)

lol. dude there are multiple pages.There is navigation drop down box at top right and also the link to next page at bottom of the first post. have a look. its 13 page review, includes real images of the stick :bleh:
The images are right there on page 2 :p

Back