Car & Bike KTM Duke 390 Launched !

Would really suggest staying away from this 390. The alloy crack issue is ridiculous. Only in India, these bikes will be allowed to sell.

Too many incidents. It may mean you will be one of the unlucky few. I was 110% ready to buy this the moment I came to India. Not anymore. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Would really suggest staying away from this 390. The alloy crack issue is ridiculous. Only in India, these bikes will be allowed to sell.

Too many incidents. It may mean you will be one of the unlucky few. I was 110% ready to buy this the moment I came to India. Not anymore. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What alloy crack issue? I actually don't know anything about it. If you have any details or links please attach them. It would really help me out.

Aha ! This point was discussed in the feedback meet arranged by KTM recently in our city. I was wondering why this point is being discussed, now I got the answer :) ... We were told that the person who faced this was able to ride for another 80-100 kms on the cracked rim & if alloys would have not absorbed the damage it could have been turned into fatal accident. We are group of 105 odd 390 owners in Pune and none of us faced the issue yet.

You just google KTM 390 India alloy crack. Or go to xbhp or teambhp. Even a blog is there.

One can justify this in any way. Up to them. Most of the riders were on sedate speeds 40~60kmh when hitting potholes. To imagine the alloys crack makes me feel the bike is unreliable. With all the speed/bhp/hooliganism, if it cannot translate to proper planted motion. whats the point? Do remember the contact between the bike and ground is maybe the size of your palm. I may be over stating that. But very near. On other bikes, I have personally hit potholes at over 60~80:S. Night. Rain. Fogged visor. Empty and crowded roads. Never had an issue. Thank God. :)

1 incident. Unlucky
2 incident. Co incidence. But still livable
3 incident. Worried.

Its more than 3. And yet its not widespread. As the above owner stated. But God forbid, I don't want to be the next person. or the really unlucky person. Clearly the places you see where bajaj did cost cutting.

On a good note, 5k or so for each wheel. Less than the cost of the tyres. Which i am not going into. But then again, Proper tyre required for the proper engine. As is the general consensus.
What about the wheels? :S People say this is "flickable". Again, cracking wheels.

It could be the QC issue... Now few of us are going to Leh, if this is design or quality issue, we sure will get to know sooner :) ...

U pay money and replace. Warranty doesn't cover it. They say the rider is over speeding. At least that's what the owners are saying.

Putting it under warranty shows retarded QC and open to litigation.

Seems like a desing flaw. Maybe their alloy is just too rigid. It can't take the stress of the 400cc engine. MAybe its the same alloy from its smaller sibling?
Anyway, its good to know that due to online forums we can make an educated purchase. Thanks for the info. Will take it into account when making my purchase.

I am torn between the FZ and the Duke. Am still wondering whether the extra 10kmpl average is worth buying the yamaha for besides its price difference or if I should indulge and buy this baby. I kinda like the Duke more.

Well. Truth to be told. If you want the 390, get the 390. No other bike like this. None. Fuel efficiency should not be the single factor to decide bike, If you can afford it.
Just be aware of all issues. Rest all issues heating, hard clutch, fork seal you can live with. One more issue , engine seizing, is reported. When i list the issues, the reason is multiple people are reporting them.

And again, FZ cannot be compared to 390 or even 200. Compare it with pulsar 200NS or something. Not even NS. pulsar 180 is more of the comparison. or even apache.
FZ is all about the plastic IMO.

390 from initial lot comes fitted with fork seal cover. There was heating problem in the initial batches but its rectified now (Updated fan assembly). Never had issue with the clutch in my bike but newer 390s are coming with updated clutch and X-ring chains instead of O-ring which is on my bike :( ... D390 is absolute VFM right now & things will get a bit better with upcoming RC200 and RC390 launch by the year end...

390 from initial lot comes fitted with fork seal cover. There was heating problem in the initial batches but its rectified now (Updated fan assembly). Never had issue with the clutch in my bike but newer 390s are coming with updated clutch and X-ring chains instead of O-ring which is on my bike :( ... D390 is absolute VFM right now & things will get a bit better with upcoming RC200 and RC390 launch by the year end...
Good so they have been updating stuff on the bike. I will keep an eye out for the alloy issue. Btw, what are the rc200 and rc300. Pardon my ignorance.

Good so they have been updating stuff on the bike. I will keep an eye out for the alloy issue. Btw, what are the rc200 and rc300. Pardon my ignorance. I have also heard they are using the silver rolon chains with the newer 2014 models.

No clue about the make of newer chains... RC200 and RC390 are faired versions of the Duke.
Check out the following vid...

As a owner of the duke 390 since the last six months i cant even count how many small and big potholes i have hit hard and i didnt even know of the cracked alloys untill last week i saw one at the ghatkopar KTM service station in Mumbai. The owner was there and he had a bad accident is what i was told. may be some QC issues are there but arent niggles found in all such premium bikes. Being a owner of CBR250R(most reliable Honda) myself, engine head was changed under warranty due to engine rattle around 5K rpm.
If anyone thinks that i am partial towards the 390 since i own one, let me tell you that i never liked naked bikes and thought that the 390 looks so small and a new brand KTM, i always thought about the quality and reliability it might have. It would have been my last choice if i wanted to buy a new bike, upon repeated nagging by a friend for a test ride, i had one and i was blown away by the torque it delivers. It lives upto the name "crotch rocket". Immediately next day i went ahead and booked one without even thinking of what i would do with my CBR believe me you cant have anything better around that price or even 1.5 times of that. Though it has been giving small niggles which the service centre have promptly taken care of, i am still very happy with it and gradually also started liking the naked looks.
After all getting a premium vehicle is like tying a Elephant on your back which demands maintenance.
Note: The above is just my opinion about the duke 390.

Back