Landmark Court Decision against Internet ISP SIFY BroadBand

Sify has been ripping off ppl since the days of good old dial up. Theri Monthly Unlimited plans had a limit of 6 hours a day, exceeding which they would deduct one day validity for every extra hour!!

Serves those Sify suckers right. Hope more ppl sue Sify and win.

greenhorn said:
cuz from now on companies are going to be scared of any sort of throttling on their unlimited plans( which they need to if they need to be profitable) being grounds for a lawsuit , and offer only limited plans from now on :(
Funniest argument on this thread!
Airtel and BSNL have been offering Unlimited(As in truly unlimited) BB for quiet some time before this judgement! They do not throttle anything, not even torrents. ISP's like Sify need to be penalized so heavily that they go out of business.

the local cable ISP(asianet) here has blocked port 80, and not to mention the gnutella ports (for limewire ) torrents also run only if encryption is enabled :(

having said that , their speeds are truly shitty.. their(upto :lol:) 256kbps connections give only 27KBps MAX .Arrow055 here is only getting about 22 . i dumped them and got bsnl instead :p

greenhorn said:
the local cable ISP(asianet) here has blocked port 80, and not to mention the gnutella ports (for limewire ) torrents also run only if encryption is enabled :(

having said that , their speeds are truly shitty.. their(upto :lol:) 256kbps connections give only 27KBps MAX .Arrow055 here is only getting about 22 . i dumped them and got bsnl instead :p

Port 80 is the one from which most of your websites are accessed. So you are saying you cannot do regular surfing? 27KBps is a good speed considering TCP and MTU Overheads, its almost 220kbps which is not bad in a 256kbps line. I used to get 25KBps on BSNL and get around 25-30KBps on my 256kbps airtel, and around 50KBps+ at night.

tsk1979 said:
Port 80 is the one from which most of your websites are accessed. So you are saying you cannot do regular surfing? 27KBps is a good speed considering TCP and MTU Overheads, its almost 220kbps which is not bad in a 256kbps line. I used to get 25KBps on BSNL and get around 25-30KBps on my 256kbps airtel, and around 50KBps+ at night.

in the old yahoo messenger 6 we had to manually change the port from 80 to 81 to do any file transfers. their TOS mentioned something about not using the connection for uploading or hosting... dont exactly remember :ashamed: btw i get a STEADY 30~31 kbps on my bsnl :hap2:

let's all learn the american way of handling such dissatisfactions and disputes.

class action lawsuits ;)

while some may think that Rs 8k compensation is hardly going to hurt Sify, the crux is that this is a landmark victory for consumer rights.

replicate this across 70-80% of Sify's subscriber base who have been putting up with this bullsh*t, and Sify's gonna be hit hard. i mean, real hard! ;)

now all we need is a few enterprising lawyers who will spend the time to amass the troops and start a frickin war. then these ISPs will know who they're messing with. i say, screw these mofos :)

i dont knw.. if this will have any impact on the sify mumbai customer service..but i am happy that this farauds were penalised...

the 150 mb/day thing is not hidden now..they write it in bold below tha plans...

i use a similar plan 64 kbps unlimited -(day -150mb limit)..nite again 10 pm to 8 am unlimited...

this hasnt impacted sify at all,payin 8-10k is like peanuts or haath ka mail :p

if will affect only when they penalised 2 pay every customer n get drianed of some lakhs or crores :p

Back