Laptop (<2kg),Screen size:]Min: 11.6-12" Budget <35k,

Hi guys,

I am looking around to buy a Laptop with the foremost criteria that it should be:

1) Light weight (<2Kg). , Screen size: Minimum: 11.6-12" .

2) Config should be Intel i3 370UM/ 2310M or greater or if in AMD- Fusion only.

3) Brands preferred: Dell, ASUS, HP, Sony. Last choice: MSI etc..

Primary usage will be surfing (10+ Tabs), watching Youtube videos ( 480 till 1080p ). NO gaming.

Have been whacking my head but just could find answers within my budget of <35k.:huh::huh:

Have only one option so far: HP DM1z. and the ASUS 1215B if i can find it..

Please let me know if you guys can think of other options for me !!:hap2::hap2:

Thanks a TON!

I did not really understand why you have i3 370m/i3 2310m in the same line as AMD fusion ????? Are you looking for a notebook or a netbook ? The i3 processors are in a different league performance wise compared to AMD fusion. And there is no way AMD fusion will handle 10+ tabs (light pages maybe, but not heavy sites) And not all 1080p videos will be butter smooth, most yes but not all.

EDIT:

Unfortunately I could not find any notebook weighing less than 2kg with i3. The only option I have for you is the Sony Vaio YA ultra portable. VPCYA15FG.

11.6 inch screen

Intel Core i3 380UM

Intel HD graphics

2gb RAM

320gb hdd

Windows 7 home premium

1.4 kg

Rs 28k

For everyday performance it will be significantly better than HP DM1z or any other AMD Fusion netbook. PC Mark Vantage almost 1000 + score lead over AMD Fusion netbooks.The only area where AMD fusion is slightly better is in light gaming. And that is almost irrelevant, especially in your case.

So basically this will give you notebook like performance in a netbook chassis and weight,

thank you babu, that was a detailed reply!

I didnt equate the fusion with the i3 but just wanted to say that I dont need a power machine but something will be used only for surfing etc..

I like the Sony model (seems to be unavailable though), but is there any other brand that has a larger screen. Bcoz that would really rock my boat !

okay: have shortlisted to these 2 models:

1) Buy Compaq Presario CQ42-462TU Laptop at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
2) Sony VAIO YA Series VPCYA15FG/B Laptop Price India: Buy Sony VAIO YA Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com

I would have included the HP G4-1010TU as well , but it does not have HDMI which is a major deal breaker.

let me know your thoughts on these..will there be any problem with 720p/1080p playback?? I just can find any concrete info on that..

Btw does anyone know of a good HP dealer in East Delhi area? ( Preet vihar etc) Also, one who would stock the Sony as well..

^^ The compaq one weight 2.2 kg. Are you okay with that ? I could suggest you a lot more notebooks if I knew u would be okay with the 2.2kg weight.

And when do you plan to buy ? As for the YA, I will inquire about availability and let you know by tomorrow. :)

actually, I have a Lenovo T400 thats abt 2.4 kgs & I find it a bit heavy after 1-2hr of usage.

Would really prefer something lighter than 2kg. But there's hardly anything available in that weight in that budget.. Maybe I will have to search in US sites & get through ICC , SYW etc..

& seems to me that only Flipkart/Letsbuy have the Sony while I would much prefer to buy a laptop in a retail store..

Also, for my sake, I sincerely hope that since this model is EOL , SONY doesnt refresh it with a SB Intel i3...! heh heh...

As far as the shopping plan: can be immediate if I like somethin or I can even wait for sometime if there's some good model coming soon..

^^^^^Good news for you!
Lenovo launches 11.6-inch ThinkPad x121e for Europe, the Japanese market -- Engadget

If you can increase your budget to Rs.43,000 you could have a Core i5 based Thinkpad x220 with a 9 cell battery. Although for less than Rs.35,000, you could have the Thinkpad x220 with the base configuration - with a Core i3 2310 and a 6 cell battery. The rates are the conversions of the rates listed on Lenovo's US website.

Sorry dude, there is short supply of Vaio YA models. Nobody seems to have stock :( Only Sony Centre Connaught place have the YA17. No discount though.

My Asus 1000H handles 10 tabs easily. Is the DM1Z weaker than my 1000H? DM1Z has a graphic card, my guess is it will cruise with HD videos, though I don't think a <12" will support 1080p videos. It will be 1360x768 max.

My HP Dm1z handles 3x1080p rips at a time with 90% cpu usage alongwith google chrome and mozilla in the background. Beat that!

LOL... @OP: It's not a good idea to go for an overkill when you have to pay much more money or lug around a lot more weight. Weight and screen size will matter most to you because all above Atom ones are powerful enough.

okay, I think I finally have it: the only option that fits all my criteria well & is available currently for 32k is the VPCYA17GG : Y Series : VAIOâ„¢ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Intel i3-380UM

Intel HM55 chipset

2GB DDR3

320GB HDD

Intel 4500MHD graphics

11.6" 1366X768 screen

weight: 1.46kg

Win 7 Professional

Please let me know what you guys think of this?

I think I am gonna take the dive today itself! :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Also , any idea how can i upgrade the RAM to 4gb on this?

and why the heck these laptop batteries cost so much??? 8k for the one that comes with this particular laptop!

Well this was my suggestion for you, but as I mentioned it was not in stock. Did you find a dealer that has it in stock ? As for the batteries being expensive, well cuz ITS A SONY! :p

hi babu! just have one dealer who has the YA15 in stock, but when I inquired with Sony they say that this model is on " last stock" - basically EOL.

Thats the reason why i am going for the YA17 for 3k more..

btw are there any OEM batteries that can come cheap? this is just a total rip-off..!

Actually BOTH YA15 and YA17 are on last stock. Dunno why you were misinformed. And the only difference between the two is OS version. So its better to get the YA15 rather than spending 3k more just for Win 7 Professional.

And nope, Sony does not recommend using any other batteries and there aren't any either.

seems like you have good knowledge on these Sony folks..!

Any idea where in Delhi/NCR I can get the YA15 ? i know that the difference between the 2 models is only the OS version...

Also , any idea how can i upgrade the RAM to 4gb on this?

Back