Laptop battery monitor

I think if you are getting a compatible battery even though it's manufactured earlier, I would say go for it. It's not like HP is going to manufacture a seperate battery for you alone. They have their own policies for spare parts, max I believe should be 4 years(farfetched, I know).
Is the laptop gallery guy willing to get the battery for you and install it? If yes, then go for it. I believe they have more idea about compatibility of the battery since it's their profession.
It's not like you have much options given the age of the laptop.
Besides, did you try calibrating the battery? What were the results?

Hp's support is pathetic. They have no idea whether this battery will be compatible with the laptop or not
They kept on repeating two things, 1. The laptop is not manufactured anymore. 2. We can only tell you how much mah is the battery, if you buy it and its not compatible then no returns. They closed the ticket on mail saying to call on the tollfree number.

All the websites that I have mentioned in the above post, https://techenclave.com/threads/laptop-battery-monitor.203570/post-2335791 , are saying that KI04 is the battery for this laptop. How to be certain about this? The description on hp's site says designed for
  • HP Pavilion 14-ab000~14-ab099, HP Pavilion 15-ab000~15-ab099, HP Pavilion 17-g000~17-g099, HP Pavilion 15-ag000~15-ag099

Tsp has the battery which was manufactured in January last year. While laptop gallery guy is just next level, sir manufacturing date ka kya karoge? Both said that as per them this specific battery is for the laptop but I have to double check because there will be no returns in case of compatibility issues.

Final thoughts? @Kaleen Bhaiya

@Ankit2306 Did you check the photo of the battery posted above?
Have checked the battery pic , would be better if you can post the pic of the whole battery from all sides and post the pics , I have worked in HP Bangalore for over 6 years and was involved in the team who developed HP Solution Centre , post the pics of the battery will help you in every possible way , by evening .

I think if you are getting a compatible battery even though it's manufactured earlier, I would say go for it. It's not like HP is going to manufacture a seperate battery for you alone. They have their own policies for spare parts, max I believe should be 4 years(farfetched, I know).
Is the laptop gallery guy willing to get the battery for you and install it? If yes, then go for it. I believe they have more idea about compatibility of the battery since it's their profession.
It's not like you have much options given the age of the laptop.
Besides, did you try calibrating the battery? What were the results?
So, are these batteries
similar? Should I purchase from either of these websites?

No, laptop gallery guy is an idiot. Won't be buying from him. Confused between hp and tsp only if those batteries would be compatible but I have no idea about it.

How much less backup will an original battery manufactured a year and half will give?

Calibrating didn't help at all unfortunately.

A local dealer told me that to extend the battery life one should always keep the laptop plugged in. Is it true?

Get one from HP website. Does the actual battery and the one from the website look same? Also look for the model number on your actual battery and check the dimensions match with the new battery. If everything's alright, you are good to go.

Have checked the battery pic , would be better if you can post the pic of the whole battery from all sides and post the pics , I have worked in HP Bangalore for over 6 years and was involved in the team who developed HP Solution Centre , post the pics of the battery will help you in every possible way , by evening .
Good to hear that and thanks. Please give me sometime, will post the photo of the whole battery asap
@Ankit2306 @Kaleen Bhaiya

PFA

Check KI04 on the top right side in the first photo. It should be these batteries

https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/acces...dapters/hp-ki04-notebook-battery-n2l84aa.html

https://www.tpstech.in/products/lap...ab5-series-laptop?_pos=1&_sid=f4437fb5c&_ss=r (Have excluded laptop gallery because their support is pathetic)

Please check with your team. Also if possible then please ask them what is the manufacturing date of the battery which is listed on the hp site (if it is indeed the one)?

Tsp guy said that manufacturing date will be about 2 years back. How much less of battery backup will it give? How high are the chances of a battery to go kaput if the manufacturing date is old?
In general how much old battery is fine?

These batteries or batteries of old laptops/phones are not manufactured after a certain time. If someone buys it and it stops working then how do the company/service center proceed if they cannot replace it because of no stock?

Will be keeping the laptop plugged in 24x7 as recommended here from now on.

A quick question, after changing the battery if this old battery is not used and is kept somewhere then will it eventually go fully kaput? What if I charge it fully once in every 4-5 months and then take it out and keep it somewhere? Asking this just in case and even if it gives 20 minutes worth of backup, it might come in handy in summers when there are like 10-15 hour cuts here.

P.S. Took the battery out to take photos, reinserted it and the battery was down from 100% to 91.2%. It is loosing around 6-8% in every 10 minutes, sometimes around 4% in 10 minutes. Not a fixed number. The system is being used for simple browsing while connected to wifi that's it. No app is being used besides FF to browse the internet.

Last edited:
Final question, suppose one buys 2 batteries of a laptop then should one be charged fully and then kept somewhere or should one keep on interchanging these two batteries like one for 6 months and the other for the next 6 months? How much battery life will be affected in both these ways? Asking as this battery, KI04, might not be manufactured in the future, not sure though just my guess.

How do shopkeepers keep these batteries with them? By fully charging them?

Final question, suppose one buys 2 batteries of a laptop then should one be charged fully and then kept somewhere or should one keep on interchanging these two batteries like one for 6 months and the other for the next 6 months? How much battery life will be affected in both these ways? Asking as this battery, KI04, might not be manufactured in the future, not sure though just my guess.

How do shopkeepers keep these batteries with them? By fully charging them?
Every laptop battery has a built in microcontroller that keeps track of every cycle charge discharge ratio time and date of first use , so it comes with an expiry ....so guess the rest

One query..
I want to know since which years laptop have auto battery charging cut-off feature.

I have one HP x360 touch laptop and even though I have to charge it daily 4 times I ensure to manually turn-off charging once it reaches in 90s. However, people say I can simply keep it plugged and forget about battery health damage etc. However, the charge white led still stays on even after 100% fully charged.

Query- why doesn't the laptop charging led turns off indicating auto-cut off feature has kicked-in also doesn't this plugging it needlessly damages charging IC internally?

I know my brothers Lenovo laptop case bought in year 2k15... he changed 4 batteries in 3 years and once got repaired the charging IC.
Same case with two of my friends Dell hi-end laptops.

I'm still clueless as to how this feature actually works.

As for phones, I know there's guarantee that now even if we keep phones on charging forever it wont damage the batteries but for laptops I need a concrete evidence.

becool773 This is the battery you need bro , have verified fro HP internals , still mention the Model number of you laptop , will cross check it once again and confirm it after checking compatibility with you device .
nRiTeCh This is simple business , if an electronics item keeps on working for years , then there will be no requirement for spare parts and no question of updated and new devices , rest you can figure out the maths . Lithium battery technology is improving all the time. However a fully charged Lithium Ion will have some oxidation of one electrode and other chemical processes will kill it with time. However, the recommendation for unused batteries is to remove them from your device when they are about 65% charged and put them in a bag in the refrigerator. This is better than fully discharged and better than 100% charged.Leaving them in the device will cause them to slowly discharge even in the “off” state and eventually some of them will reach a threshold voltage where they cannot be recharged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every laptop battery has a built in microcontroller that keeps track of every cycle charge discharge ratio time and date of first use , so it comes with an expiry ....so guess the rest
Is there a way to reset the same? The dealer who is arranging the battery also said the same thing to try resetting the battery once so that it shows zero cycle counts etc. as per him batteries have improved temporarily like this. Is there any special software for this purpose?
becool773 This is the battery you need bro , have verified fro HP internals , still mention the Model number of you laptop , will cross check it once again and confirm it after checking compatibility with you device .
nRiTeCh This is simple business , if an electronics item keeps on working for years , then there will be no requirement for spare parts and no question of updated and new devices , rest you can figure out the maths . Lithium battery technology is improving all the time. However a fully charged Lithium Ion will have some oxidation of one electrode and other chemical processes will kill it with time. However, the recommendation for unused batteries is to remove them from your device when they are about 65% charged and put them in a bag in the refrigerator. This is better than fully discharged and better than 100% charged.Leaving them in the device will cause them to slowly discharge even in the “off” state and eventually some of them will reach a threshold voltage where they cannot be recharged.
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab522tx
So, if one has a spare battery then one needs to charge it to about 60-70% and then keep store it somewhere? How much charge does a battery loose if it is kept idle in the box on an average?
I hope storing it in a refrigerator was a joke.

Last edited:
Back