laptop comparison - high performance,

bertram

Recruit
Oct 20, 2011
Hey guys,
My application - high performance, running multi-processor, memory intensive tasks (consuming 5-6 GB easily)
My budget ~ 50-55 K
Could you please help me choose one ! I have zeroed in on two laptops:
1. Dell Xps 15 -
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz,
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4GB),
750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive,
2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M graphics with Optimus,
Cost ~ 60K
2. HP Notebook DV6-6165TX Laptop:
2nd Gen Core i7 2.2Ghz-2670QM,
8 GB DDR3,
750 GB SATA (5400 rpm),
AMD Radeon HD 6770M (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Cost - ~ 55K
Queries:
1. Does HP have a heating problem now in this new 6165TX series? They claim to have developed the new cooling technology, shifted the fan side ways. But if I run my codes on multi-processor and consuming 5-6 GB ram easily for long time (6-8 hrs), does this laptop (HP) suffice for my purpose?

2. Are Intel i-7 and AMD Radeon cards compatible with each other? Any issues here?

3. Does hdd speed of 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM matter here? will it slow down my tasks?

4. Any other suggestions you guys wish to provide? Any other laptop I should buy?

Thanks in Advance !
-Bertie

nion

Disciple
Sep 22, 2011
1. Does HP have a heating problem now in this new 6165TX series? They claim to have developed the new cooling technology, shifted the fan side ways. But if I run my codes on multi-processor and consuming 5-6 GB ram easily for long time (6-8 hrs), does this laptop (HP) suffice for my purpose?

2. Are Intel i-7 and AMD Radeon cards compatible with each other? Any issues here?

3. Does hdd speed of 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM matter here? will it slow down my tasks?

4. Any other suggestions you guys wish to provide? Any other laptop I should buy?

1. Not sure. From what i know its cool under normal usage but heats up a bit under gaming.

2.yes. none i know off.

3.7200rpm is faster. it also heats up more and uses more battery.

4.lenovo y570

bertram

Recruit
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply. But which graphics card would be better here? are you suggestin lenovo 570d? how much is the price for 3d capable laptop in india, couldn't find it online? does lenovo have heating problem?

Also, how much discount one can get if one purchases dell online? are there any discounts going on currently? I was told by the customer rep of dell that a corporate discount of 5% is given. Also, does one have to pay octroi charges if purchased online? I will be ordering the laptop to pune..

arsenalfan01

Disciple
Apr 13, 2010
Check this one also: Here

I would suggest you to go for a laptop with 4GB ram. add another 4GB for 1500 later.

only bottleneck in these systems is hard disk. If you want performance, replace your hard disk with a SSD.

If you are going to stress your system for 6-8 hours, get a good cooler from cooler master (Ergostand preferably)

bertram

Recruit
Oct 20, 2011
ohh...these ones are quite cheap..expecially the asus one..why is that so? am i unable to see any difference here (apart from HDD rpm of 7200)? howz after sales service of lenovo and asus? how is longevity/durability of these laptops considering the strain I am gonna put on these ones?

Also, I read GT 540 is 3D enabled..does it mean i can stream 3d movies to a 3dTV through dell laptop?

is it worthwhile to choose HP 6165TX (pros- good GPU - AMD radeon 6770M -, 10k cheaper to dell overall, cons - bad publicity about overheating, slow hdd with 5400 rpm) or dell XPS 15 ( pros - good publicity, faster hdd 7200 rpm, no overheating problems heard; cons - costly, keyboard with no numberpad) or asus (K53SV) or lenovo (y570) (donno much about the last two)

also what the heck is this all about asus mentioning intel chipset? how about dell, lenovo and hp? do they use original intel motherboards or just the chipset?

bertram

Recruit
Oct 20, 2011
also what the heck is this all about asus mentioning intel chipset? how about dell, lenovo and hp? do they use original intel motherboards or just the chipset?