Laptops Laptop fails to start (works sometimes though)

raksrules

Elite
I have this 4 year old toshiba satellite laptop. Many a times i shuts it down after getting heated. And after it is shut off, i cannot restart it, the green light of laptop being ON comes on but nothing on screen, not even the initial screen where we have the opportunity to go to BiOS and all.
Bu say after an hour or so i try the laptop, it works.
But today morning when i tried to start the laptop it failed to start with same symptoms, green light but nothing on screen. No sound and nothing.
And it is not at all heated. In fact the temps here is less than 20 degrees celcius and i have not even touched the laptop in last 12 hours.

What might be the issue and how to troubleshoot ? If nothing works, i might just remove the RAM and HDD(has important data) and dump the laptop.

Anyone ?
The thing is that once laptop starts then it works properly even for 10-12 hours straightaway, just that sometimes it just fails to start. I want to troubleshoot this starting issue. I recently bought a new battery for the laptop as the old one died and started showing that cross sign on the taskbar.
I know this is not battery issue as the laptop was behaving the same way before too when it had the old battery.

Its certainly heating problem. I faced similar kind of problem in the first one year of the purchase . Since it was in warranty gave it to repair and all they did was clean up the laptop.

Its certainly heating problem. I faced similar kind of problem in the first one year of the purchase . Since it was in warranty gave it to repair and all they did was clean up the laptop.

it is good to give a try always by cleaning the air vents in the heat sink and replacing the thermal compound. if this does not work then the graphic chip on the motherboard may have dry solder or chip has died because of thermal cycle

@Metalspree

But as i mentioned, when i tried to start the laptop in morning, 12 hours after it being shut down, it still refused to start. It starts like 70% of the time but remaining time it refuses to start, as in the screen not not brighten but the LED on laptop says it is ON. But i do not even get those usual starting sounds so i know the laptop never reaches windows or anything.

I did want to clear the laptop from dust etc but opening this thing is not easy (for me). Lots of screws and the way it is built. And to be honest, i am scared to do that since i fear i might permanently break something.
I did once opened the keyboard to clear dust from beneath and that how this laptop opens (as per one very bad quality online video i saw).

Last edited by a moderator:
With your problem, I would strongly suggest you to clean the heatsink vents. 4 years of usage has definitely cause a blockage in the air vents leading to over heating of the gpu. Now, what you have to do is clean your heatsink, apply fresh thermal paste and then use an hot air gun or a smd rework station to reflow your gpu. Let us know the results. I've be repairing laptops since a year now. All the best.

Ok so now from my last few days experience with this particular laptop, i have deduced that there is definitely some hardware issue and this thing is failing on me. I have decided to throw this machine in trash as i don't expect anyone to give me a single penny for this. Bringing it back with me is not a good plan as this laptop has almost stopped working. Not planning to buy new one as don't really want one.
The HDD is important since it has lot of my data so i will be harvesting the HDD and the 2GB RAM is removable so i will be harvesting that too.
Is there any thing else i can take it out of this laptop before it goes and rests in peace (and pieces) ?

Back