Budget 71-90K Laptop for a student who will study AI

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't have much information about the course, other than that she is studying AI. She requires a laptop and not a desktop. I believe a good graphics card is essential.

Budget is around 80k max. Open to buy online. No specific brand preference. Should be reliable and last at least 4 years.

Please suggest.

I would sugeest waiting for a few more months atleast till end of 2024, since new CPU-NPU with 40-50 tops are still being released. Also these are new models. They won't be available in India asap and priced heavily. The budget wont be enough, I guess.

I think its better to buy computing power in google collab and she will be probably running most of her codes there. Running Ai models in personal pc's is not that practical because either google free tier collab will run it or you need a dedicated work station from the institute.
Else, any Nvidia GPU will do.

@?dOuBtFiRe? Thank you. I doubt they will wait till year end. Will have to look for the best of whatever is available right now.

@mantheman and @roadrash99 Thank you. That changes everything. If it is impractical to use a big budget laptop, I'll suggest that she go for a decent lightweight laptop in the 40k-50k range.

@?dOuBtFiRe? Thank you. I doubt they will wait till year end. Will have to look for the best of whatever is available right now.

@mantheman and @roadrash99 Thank you. That changes everything. If it is impractical to use a big budget laptop, I'll suggest that she go for a decent lightweight laptop in the 40k-50k range.

Mostly small models only are run locally, good for learning. For the rest, it is cloud/college computers only.

Legion 5 Pro is excellent value in this range.

If you can bump up (a big bump up), Zephyrus G14 (brilliant all-in-one!) or Legion Slim 7 Pro. Lenovo has a very good ASS.

I don't have much information about the course, other than that she is studying AI. She requires a laptop and not a desktop. I believe a good graphics card is essential.

Budget is around 80k max. Open to buy online. No specific brand preference. Should be reliable and last at least 4 years.

Please suggest.
if she's into ML, then the budget is anyways not enough for running ML models locally unless you can score a 6gb vram GPU (and even this is too little but it can still reasonably run some models), She'll mostly have to use Colab and stuff for her ML stuff and if the college is decent enough, she'll get access to something from her college which will allow her to run models on the cloud. If she's just entering uni or just beginning her AI specialization then honestly just wait till Diwali, the NPU laptops will be a killer for her, and if you just have to buy asap, check out lenovo, you can use coupons/student discount/credit cards (yes you can club them all together) to score some really incredible deals on laptops. I think there was a thread or two here itself where the OP used them to get a good deal
If you can bump up (a big bump up), Zephyrus G14 (brilliant all-in-one!) or Legion Slim 7 Pro. Lenovo has a very good ASS.
Zephyrus is an over-heating POS with ASUS's crap added on top, would not recommend anyone an ASUS

Wait for college to start and then decide a laptop. "AI" is such a weird term for laptop suggestions. It could range from needing a high VRAM gpu to a hyperthreaded 8+ core system or just more Tops in said CPU. It might need faster memory or just more memory.

Back