Budget 21-30k Laptop for coding

6pack

ex-Mod
What's your Budget? 25k - 30max

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Programming

What size and weight considerations do you have? 14/15 inch, around 2Kg

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
Want only Intel processor based laptop. Don't want AMD since I want to run Android Studio phone images.
I know there's Genny motion, but it does not work properly in windows 10. Some or other issue crop up with it on my pc with amd proccy.

Prefer Acer, Asus & Lenovo. Don't want anything HP. Heard HP quality & service is very bad.
Dell would be last preference. Their prices are much higher than the first three I mentioned.

Any other considerations?
Battery life ~ 4-5 hrs.
Core i5 if possible in 30k. There is an Acer and Asus laptop of core i5-5200U just near 30k.
There are 4th gen core i5's around 27k.

I Would like to ask 2-3 questions:
As a programmer, how hard is it to code in this tiny 1366x768 resolution? I'm thinking of getting a laptop for coding and all I see are laptops within my budget with this 1366x768 resolution. With a pc monitor of 1920x1080 resolution, i feel space confined having two windows open.

How fast a processor should I look for? will a Pentium or core i3 suffice or should i get i5?

Edit: I found some in and above my budget. Don't look at the core i5 6th gen ones. the prices are just for comparison.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I am in similar boat currently and looking to shift to laptop. However my usage is quite different from yours. i am not going to code or run any development applications. Couple of inputs from my side; which would mostly shoot your budget.
~If possible get 15.6" FHD screen.
~If getting U series processor, get 6th gen processors. Intel seems to have messed up with U series processors. By focusing on power consumption, performance have taken heavy tall. As evident from your excel sheet, 3rd gen i5-M series is still better performer than 6th gen i5-U series.

If you are looking for M chips then those are hard to find at least locally in Kolkata. I was also aiming for a M but had to settle for U. I got a lenovo U4170 if you want to know anything regarding that then I would be happy to help.

Not been following laptops recently, so can't really recommend any specific model..

While 1366x 768 resolution is bareky enough for using an IDE, it would be better to have a better resolution to have possibility of windows side by side. Also go for 15.6 inch screen. I have 13 inch mac that I feel sometimes as too small while coding.

Get a laptop with a good keyboard that helps in speed typing without issues.. Traditionally high end lenovo and apple have great keyboards, but they are very costly. Try to check keyboard of laptops in physical shops.

Core i3 is the least you will need, so that you do not have to wait for a long time when project is getting built or while debugging. Core i5 will be even better. Also confirm possibility to upgrade RAM to at least 8GB.

All the prices have gone up now due to vat and government policy of e-tailers not giving out discounts. In January, a 5th gen core i5 was available for 30k. Now it's 34k. 30k only gets a 4th gen i5 now. Even sellers on eBay are sort of selling imported laptops at same or higher prices than what e get on Amazon.

I searched for full HD laptops. Only the HP one princoo007 mentioned and an Acer or Lenovo is available for 40-42k. Can an external full hd monitor be attached to the laptop as primary screen?

All the prices have gone up now due to vat and government policy of e-tailers not giving out discounts. In January, a 5th gen core i5 was available for 30k. Now it's 34k. 30k only gets a 4th gen i5 now. Even sellers on eBay are sort of selling imported laptops at same or higher prices than what e get on Amazon.

I searched for full HD laptops. Only the HP one princoo007 mentioned and an Acer or Lenovo is available for 40-42k. Can an external full hd monitor be attached to the laptop as primary screen?
Connect the screen by hdmi port and just select it as primary monitor in your graphic option of windows or gpu. That's it [emoji16]

I'm thinking of getting the Fujitsu laptop from Amazon. Core i3 5005U, 8GB ram, 500GB HDD, 15.6", gigabit Lan, dos @ 22.6K. couldn't find anything better. Same price on eBay. Maybe with some coupon you could get 1500 off it.

I'm thinking of getting the Fujitsu laptop from Amazon. Core i3 5005U, 8GB ram, 500GB HDD, 15.6", gigabit Lan, dos @ 22.6K. couldn't find anything better. Same price on eBay. Maybe with some coupon you could get 1500 off it.

If you are comfortable with PayTm, it's going for approx 20,339 after cashback of 2,000.

Is paytm good site for shopping?

I hear horrible stories... from user at another forum...one user received Bathroom Tiles and another Washing Bar....

The one who received Tiles was a smart buyer he record unpacking for Shipment so he got refund and the other buyer was not at address and one of his family member accept parcel and unpack it without recording and ....... don't know what happens to his claim....

Its not great like Flipkart, Amazon or Snapdeal.
Is it reliable? i think i saw same seller on paytm and amazon or maybe same named seller for that fujitsu laptop. If i buy from paytm its a difference of 2.5k (with the cashback) compared to Amazon.
Do the seller ship in good box like Amazon and Flipkart or just Plastic bag like eBay?

I hear horrible stories... from user at another forum...one user received Bathroom Tiles and another Washing Bar....

The one who received Tiles was a smart buyer he record unpacking for Shipment so he got refund and the other buyer was not at address and one of his family member accept parcel and unpack it without recording and ....... don't know what happens to his claim....
wtf? after reading this, thinking of buying from Amazon only.

i think i saw same seller on paytm and amazon or maybe same named seller for that fujitsu laptop.
If it's the same seller, you can buy from Paytm. You can contact that seller on Amazon/eBay and tell him that you'd use Paytm. I've done this number of times. Or write to Paytm CC before ordering as they don't allow direct communication with sellers.

Do the seller ship in good box like Amazon and Flipkart or just Plastic bag like eBay?
Packaging is at par with other players and it comes replete with Paytm branded tape.

Funny thing is that I have always instructed eBay/Amazon sellers to package sensitive items properly and NONE of them paid any heed. I wonder if they did that deliberately.

Back